DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight, laggy video question

reaperman

Reactions
I just got the mini 2 yesterday, I did all of the essentials, firmware, calibrations, charged things up, etc. Despite the weather less than ideal, I wanted to try out my new toy. Its winter here in Mn, outside temp approx 13F, a bit windy but I have a low spot in my backyard that protects me from some wind.
I took a 4 minute video, followed by a 45 second video of the landing. In each video the playback and detail was nice. But when turning and flying or hovering and rotating the drone left or right, that's when the video gets real choppy. I had the camera set to 2.7K, 24fps, using a SanDisk 32gb, U3, V30, HC1 card. The video setting was left in auto mode. With the weather being what it is, I most likely won't try flying much until things warm up a bit. I added a sample video for you to see.

I just noticed as I put the gamble cover on the drone. There were 2 pieces of thin tape, one on each edge of the gimble I hadn't noticed before. I don't know if that would have factored in but its worth mentioning since the tape sticks up on the top and bottom and could have fluttered in flight.

Hi Reaperman. First, yes, taking off the side tapes is necessary. But your footage looks normal.

Try flying slower for smoother footage, using Cine mode. And you can go into settings and adjust how slow your control stick movements are when flying.

You should also look up advice about using ND filters to slow your shutter speed to 1/50th of a second - using manual camera settings.

Theres a lot of information in our recordings and a lot of playback devices and software aren't optimized for it.

I added another clip, if things look proper, great, then I need to brush up on my skills. I want to make sure if there's a issue, its the pilot. Again, it was my first flight with the mini 2 in less than ideal conditions and with less than 10 minutes using the drone. I just wanted to try out different functions, etc.

Btw if you're shooting in auto mode. High shutter speed can cause 'jitters' in video when panning or moving.

This is why a lot of folks use ND filters in bright conditions and set their shutter speed manually usually to the "180-degree" rule. For example if the framerate is 24fps, the shutter would be set to 1/48 (or 1/50 whichever is closer to set). So that frame-to-frame movement looks more natural to the eyes with that little bit of motion blur. Otherwise there's too much gap between one frame and the next with a high shutter speed while panning/moving.

What you show in your second video is definitely that, especially if the shutter speed was pretty high (if you play your original video back in something like VLC or MediaPlayerClassic +, the video subtitles will show at the bottom showing you all that information).

and PS: that is pretty normal with high shutter speeds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS