DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight - o-S... moment

rcflyingaddict

Reactions
Bit of background... I have been flying RC for a long time... everything from Giant scale airplanes to large and small scale heli's, toy drones/quad's etc.... This was my first time flying a GPS enabled piece of gear. When folks say it takes little skill to fly well now I know what they/you were talking about. That's a good thing if you purchased this for areal vid/photography. The o-s... moment came on my first flight ... using my 7 edge (I neglected to go airplane mode) fist take off .... then disconnect ..... Was unable to get it to connect again with MP hovering at 9 feet. MP worked as advertised after what seemed like forever auto landed. Subsequent flights with airplane mode turned on everything worked like a champ. My 7 edge's screen is brighter than my latest gen ipad pro (I'm amusing the ipad mini 4 would be no brighter?) Now I understand why folks are looking for the brightest screen... I was literally in the shade and still found it hard to see the screen. CrystalSky may be just what I need at some point. In any event my biggest walk-away's were this thing fly's it self and I'm not used to having the RC be so vertical.....

No need to go to airplane mode. Just turn S7edge wifi off. You get to keep cell and data connections then.

Yeah - I rarely if ever have wifi on ... as I have unlimited (the real unlimited -- ie grandfathered..) so for first flight it was off but data was on .... had quick disconnect. Just went out for another flight... airplane .. everything was good until i had another disconnect - will post another thread with the details to get some help figuring out what happened.

If it's from remote to phone try different cord. Use the larger USB plug in the center back side of remote to whatever your plug type for phone. I hear many disconnects are caused by the smaller side plug on the remote to phone.
Or go buy an iPad mini 4 on sale.
But your right the new DJI monitor would be great but DJI also are having a few glitches, at least so I read. They use an android operating system.
Going to wait a while and get one myself.
Hate the can't see dilemma.

Yeah, on Android and specifically the S7 edge with which I have a lot of experience, you can prevent many RC to Phone connections issues, simply by killing all other running apps before you start DJIGo4.

On your S7 edge, Bottom left soft key followed by "Close All".
Having done this first, connect the provided USB cable in the standard manner and follow the prompts to start DJIGo4 when the S7 edge senses the USB lead.
"Select an application for the USB device DJIGo4 Just Once, Always".

With the S7 edge, if you complete those two steps each time, I wager that your connection issues RC to App will go away. If I lose that bet, then start playing with the hardware, cables etc. You should not need to though.

Interestingly, had you really only had connection loss between the RC and Phone, the RC would have still been connected to the Mavic. It should therefore have been responsive to RC commands. OTOH, had there been a genuine signal loss been between RC and Mavic (indicated by a Yellow flashing light on its backside) when it was hovering at 9 feet, I would have expected it to RTH. Even if it was hovering nearby at 9 feet it should have led to an almost immediate RTH & or landing and not a prolonged hover. Unless you had changed your Signal loss action from the default RTH to Hover. In which case, knowing you had done this, you could have power cycled the RC to regain a connection. Another possibility is Landing Protection was hanging it up and preventing an immediate landing. Disable Landing Protection as it will only cause you trouble.

Any way for something seemingly so trivial to fly, there a load of Gotchas.

Reactions: Masheen
I've never had a problem with my S7Edge in the last 100 flights, but my Galaxy tab S fails me over and over. Not in controlled test flights, but everytime I fly for work the app just crashes. I'd prefer the larger AMOLED screen of the tablet, but at least my phone never fails me.

Just remember to set the screen brightness to max and auto brightness off. I once moved the phone a bit while flying, covering the light sensor and fooling the phone into believing it was the middle of the night. If you're after a memorable FPV flying challenge, start there.

...Just remember to set the screen brightness to max and auto brightness off. I once moved the phone a bit while flying, covering the light sensor and fooling the phone into believing it was the middle of the night. If you're after a memorable FPV flying challenge, start there.
In this situation, Swiping Right to Left on the phone screen will save your bacon & take you straight a brightness slider in DJIGo4, to recover. But as you say full bright, auto off before hand is the way to go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929