DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight recap

Ro-Dee

Reactions
Anyways I took the drone out to the park for a test flight and flew it around my LOS in sport mode.. But when I hit the camera button while its hovering to take a picture. It slowly drifts upward and the down throttle is not responsive.. and holding the throttle down stick fully would switch it to Landing mode.

I also noticed the same thing on my last mavic drone that had a compass 1 disconnect .
(Last week I've exchanged a drone because compass 1 was disconnected out of the box. This next drone worked as it should (green blinking light, both compasses working).

I've already calibrated the aircraft so is this normal or maybe I need to calibrate the controls or gimbal?

Anyways I took the drone out to the park for a test flight and flew it around my LOS in sport mode.. But when I hit the camera button while its hovering to take a picture. It slowly drifts upward and the down throttle is not responsive.. and holding the throttle down stick fully would switch it to Landing mode.

I also noticed the same thing on my last mavic drone that had a compass 1 disconnect .
(Last week I've exchanged a drone because compass 1 was disconnected out of the box. This next drone worked as it should (green blinking light, both compasses working).

I've already calibrated the aircraft so is this normal or maybe I need to calibrate the controls or gimbal?
I just wondered why you’d calibrated your new drone out of the box? If you’d read the manual you’d have noticed that it tells you not to calibrate unless the drone requests it. My drone is 7 months old and has only needed the optical sensors calibrated in that time. It still flys perfectly.

holding the throttle down stick fully would switch it to Landing mode
Do you have something installed near the downward sensors (e.g. extended landing gear)?

I just wondered why you’d calibrated your new drone out of the box? If you’d read the manual you’d have noticed that it tells you not to calibrate unless the drone requests it.
While calibrating anything often is usually just a waste of time, it won't hurt anything if it's done properly.

Reactions: Ro-Dee
Do you have something installed near the downward sensors (e.g. extended landing gear)?

Yeah I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5D339B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just wondered why you’d calibrated your new drone out of the box? If you’d read the manual you’d have noticed that it tells you not to calibrate unless the drone requests it. My drone is 7 months old and has only needed the optical sensors calibrated in that time. It still flys perfectly.

Well.. It did tell me to calibrate it on the dji app so I did that first before I even took off.

Try removing your landing gear and see if you're able to reproduce that issue again. If you're not able to reproduce it, then you'll need to disable the Landing Protection setting in DJI GO (see the screenshot below) when using those landing gear (or get a set of landing gear that does not interfere with the sensors).

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ro-Dee
Not sure what "??" Means, but to explain.... Trouble shooting involves going through all of the options that could be causing a problem and eliminating them one by one. Because one user says he has never had an issue doesn't mean another won't.

Reactions: phoenix3
Not sure what "??" Means, but to explain.... Trouble shooting involves going through all of the options that could be causing a problem and eliminating them one by one. Because one user says he has never had an issue doesn't mean another won't.
"Its called troubleshooting" is not a reply
I know its troubleshooting, I simply added that I and no others that I know of have had a problem with this particular accessory, so could possibly be eliminated.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic 57
So I tried it without the extended landing gear in my backyard and it seems to working fine so far.. I'll test it in the park again to just to be sure.. I'll update this once I tried it

"Its called troubleshooting" is not a reply
I know its troubleshooting, I simply added that I and no others that I know of have had a problem with this particular accessory, so could possibly be eliminated.:)

The rear legs are probably clipped onto the Mavic the wrong way round, interfering with the downward camera, turn it 180 degrees and refit. I have these and never had a problem.

9d98db228905dae856816db7c7264f60.jpg

Reactions: colinfowler
I just received mine a couple of weeks ago and right out of the box I had to calibrate the compass and the camera. I figured this was just one of the normal steps someone had to do.

Last edited:
Try removing your landing gear and see if you're able to reproduce that issue again. If you're not able to reproduce it, then you'll need to disable the Landing Protection setting in DJI GO (see the screenshot below) when using those landing gear (or get a set of landing gear that does not interfere with the sensors).

View attachment 23286
Buy Polar Pro landing gear. It will solve the problem.

Yes, the Polar Pro landing gear would definitely clear the sensors since it angles away from the drone body.

PolarPro.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000