DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight

Underdog1964

Reactions
Got her off the ground after work for about 5 minutes over my driveway tonight!
I wanted to fly at work during lunch but their area is under a TNF. :mad:

Only went up about 12' and took a look around.
Things look so different from above!

Just played with the controls in beginner mode.
Little kid next door starts yelling “WHOA, THAT'S SO COOL!”
I figured it was time to land then.
Tried out the RTH button. Landed right where it started.
The Air isn't nearly as loud as everyone makes it out to be. Even at 12'. Thumbswayup
I was so nervous, I forgot to take pictures or video!

Tomorrow I’ll look for an SD card and a tablet holder.

Congratulations! Glad it went well.

Did you opt for DJI Refresh or have any other insurance? Just asking because the first few flights can be nerve wracking, and it makes it easier to know you are covered.

Reactions: Underdog1964
Congratulations! Glad it went well.

Did you opt for DJI Refresh or have any other insurance? Just asking because the first few flights can be nerve wracking, and it makes it easier to know you are covered.

Thanks!
Yes, I bought Refresh. If I never use it, it's still money well spent.
You're right, it was a white knuckle few minutes for me and I barely went anywhere! :D

Next flight will be at our local park which ironically used to be a small local airport back in the day!

I'm a few weeks into ownership.
There's a few moments still of scared but it's because I'm pushing my comfort level...

For your first few flights honestly it's best to hit record, then start take off proceedings. Don't touch any buttons except gimbal movement and the sticks. Fly around. Practice landing not rth THEN once landed turn off the recording. Yea you'll get a long boring video but you can watch it and see what you did.

I just wish I could record and take photos at same time lol had to screenshot it after the fact

Reactions: Underdog1964
I hope to get there soon.
Just need to learn to trust the equipment.
The equipment you can trust. The pilot, well, that's another question entirely :D

Spend some time in an open field building skills and muscle memory for flying. A big open field is a safe place where you can jazz it up a bit, push your comfort level, and still be safe.

Spend a few weeks doing this, working up to some fast fun flying in sport, doing figure 8's, oval racing, dives, etc.

Also, my religious passion: Learn and practice coordinated turns, right from the start. You'll be thankful later.

The equipment you can trust. The pilot, well, that's another question entirely :D

Spend some time in an open field building skills and muscle memory for flying. A big open field is a safe place where you can jazz it up a bit, push your comfort level, and still be safe.

Spend a few weeks doing this, working up to some fast fun flying in sport, doing figure 8's, oval racing, dives, etc.

Also, my religious passion: Learn and practice coordinated turns, right from the start. You'll be thankful later.

:D:D:D

Went out again today to the local school field and did exactly that.

Talked to an older gent who was interested. He's 83 and an original resident of our town. He gave me the history of Airport Park and how they used to train WWII pilots there when he was a kid.
Really interesting gent and I value having met him and getting some local history!

Got comfortable and took it out of beginner mode. Went up to 200' and played around with sport mode.

Had a VERY large bird investigate and got practice coming down quickly!
You don't realize until you're looking up for a while how much "traffic" is up there!

No issues with connectivity and the thing is a real blast! I just have to figure out how to get the video off and edit it.
Hella fun! Thanks to everyone for being so encouraging.
Batteries and controller are charging and using a tablet is really the way to go!

Would something like this fit the bill?
I have a soft spot foB&H. That and no tax when they ship to PA ;)

SanDisk 64GB Extreme UHS-I microSDXC Memory SDSQXAF-064G-GN6MA

EDIT: Scratch that question. I'm just going to get the one you guys recommend and be done with it.
Saving tax won't help if it doesn't work! :cool:

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jordy