DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First interaction with the police

Isn't his job to supervise instead of punishing? Sadly in the US it's happening too often the opposite so even a normal (questionable?) encounter with an officer become a "positive experience".

His job is NOT to supervise. His job is to ENFORCE the law, while using discretion.

Period.

;)

So what you are saying is that the NPS took the time to develop policies so that these things could be used but with reasonable restrictions and limitations.

So, exactly what is the problem with that approach to drones?
It would be nice if the NPS eventually does take that approach. But drones are very new; it has taken years of debate on things like horseback riding, snowmobiles, ATVs and the like. It's also probably easier to designate a trail that's well defined on the ground for something like snowmobiles. Defining air space will take some work.

It would be nice if the NPS eventually does take that approach. But drones are very new; it has taken years of debate on things like horseback riding, snowmobiles, ATVs and the like. It's also probably easier to designate a trail that's well defined on the ground for something like snowmobiles. Defining air space will take some work.
And I don't disagree that it will take some work.

But that is no excuse for them to drag on for decades using blanket policies and excuses.

The original ban policy was posted by the supervisor in 2014, and was stated as temporary, and until permanent policy allowing use could be developed.

Three years is a long time to study and develop reasonable restrictions and policy, IMO, and you and I both know that with government, it could go on for a lot longer, because it is simply not priority for them.

Last edited:
Funny guy. I must be millennial because I believe in individual responsibility and liberty? Is it because I don't think something should be outlawed or banned simply because it's annoying? Or, is it because I don't believe in having a police/nanny state from which I have to seek permission for everything short of breathing? The last time I looked, these aren't qualities of the millennial generation. If anything, these are fairly old, founding-father-ish Constitutional/Libertarian principals. But, if it makes you feel better to try and lump people (who you do not know) into derogatory categories, by all means, go right ahead. Then I'll just lump you into the "troll" category.
I thought we were here to talk about drones not whine like teenage girls. Good God people...

Reactions: TheWolfen
Okay from what I see is that there is nothing but confusion about what is right and what is wrong and all of that as far as flying drones for some reason half the population feels that drones are negative and nasty and they will spy on you the other half that once drones is looking at it as a beautiful thing but those other negative people don't want it to happen. So how do we correct this? I live in a complex and I have people coming up to me and asking if I'm spying on their freaking kids?!? And I offered to show them all of my video and Snapchats and all of them refuse to even look at it but yet they were willing to go and complain! So this is more of a case of people being people!

Reactions: Slayerstwin
I think the NPS should limit the ban. Make it more user friendly. No flying within 500 feet of other park guests. I can see it being annoying to others trying to enjoy nature.

Reactions: jasoraso
Being "Old as Dirt" I can remember my friends and I flying U control planes in town,at the local school yards. These planes were ran on glow fuel,and had no mufflers,and were loud! You could hear them running many city blocks away. The funny thing is,people used to hear us flying them,and come over, bringing lawn chairs,to sit and watch us fly. Today the only one showing up would be the local police,with a complaint about the noise. Just shows how well our society has evolved!:rolleyes: Everything bothers us now,and ruins our day!:(

Reactions: cderoche
If this had been me, I would have found a very remote area to launch. Made my 15 minute video, bothering no one and then leave. Not hard to find around national park perimeters.

It is their job to enforce laws, rules and regulations, which ensures the safety and enjoyment of park visitors.

So let me get this straight, when you drive a vehicle you never ever go above the posted speed limit right ?

Reactions: Chet Bang
LOL! I'm a 48 year old millennial. It's more about, I've been around long enough to start really being annoyed by people trying to control every aspect of my life. It's my planet too (well, at least since I moved here from my home planet). I think an idea would be to have a section of the parks set aside for areal photography.

I'm 50 so I have been around long enough to be annoyed by over oppressive laws, regulations and rules. (and yes there is a difference between the three) But I can see it both ways. Personally I have been in some National Parks that I would have to say there is no way I would want someone, even myself, flying a drone around randomly whether it was at 20' agl or 400'agl. Pretty much anywhere in Yellowstone, I don't see any place that it should be allowed. But Grand Teton, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain, Badlands, heck even here at Great Smokey Mountains I think there should be some limited areas that you can fly, during certain times.

Now what I don't think is that those certain times should be up to the flyer, and it shouldn't be a free for all as many as want to do it at a single time. Maybe it should be by some means of "must issue" permit with limited time and only a certain number of people in the same general area at the same time.

Other than with a group you might have been flying with, how many of you have been out flying somewhere and all of a sudden looked over and there was another Mavic right beside you or at a higher or lower altitude and you can see the bird but have no clue where the pilot is or if he even sees you? Watching the forum and reading another thread in here I dare say there aren't that many. I was one of the never seen before until about a month ago and literally out of the blue it happened twice at two different locations. First time was at 4th of July and I was flying along near where the fireworks were going to be and out of nowhere two Phantoms appeared both within 500' of where my Mavic was. Then just a week ago I was out at a popular photo location where 100 people or more were taking pictures in a sunflower field. I was flying way on the back side away from the people there flying down low when I took my eyes off the bird for a couple of seconds to look at the screen and when I looked back up there was a Mavic less than 50' in front of me at eye level. Needless to say I was really disoriented at first till I realized it wasn't mine. Then I started looking around for the pilot and all you see is people with phones in their hands taking pictures so I just pulled up to about 300' to get out of the way and make sure I could see and be seen. Then as I was trying to fly over to land and I was coming down, here comes a Phantom shooting out of the field. I just got down as quick as I could and packed my stuff and left. I mean here you have three birds in the air, none of the pilots can see each other directly, you aren't communicating, you don't know where the others are planning to fly or if they even see your bird at all. I can just see things getting really crazy really fast if you don't do some kind of regulation in really popular areas and you know just as well as I that if tomorrow the NPS said come on in and fly till your heart's content (which that is never going to happen) but if it did then every would be wana be with $400 to $1500 to spend would go down to the local big box electronics store and be on their way to a park. That wouldn't be fun for any of us.

Why don't the rangers get a load of drones fly em about over animals for a few weeks, then they will be used to them..... Can't believe we haven't wasted millions on this fantastic idea to keep some nerds happy...

The "I have a right to this and right to that" is ********. U own the land u can do what u like u don't well follow the rules, if Ur lands next to or in nofly zone move if it annoys you that much. simples

Do yourself a huge favor and get a $100.00 Garmin Nuvi GPS in your vehicle. It will show you very accurately where the parks are and there won't be any question about it.

dominica-portsmouth-garmin-gps-navigation.jpg

Well that escalated quickly.

I guess that I missed what should be an obvious point - why didn't the Mavic give you a NFZ warning?

Being "Old as Dirt" I can remember my friends and I flying U control planes in town,at the local school yards. These planes were ran on glow fuel,and had no mufflers,and were loud! You could hear them running many city blocks away. The funny thing is,people used to hear us flying them,and come over, bringing lawn chairs,to sit and watch us fly. Today the only one showing up would be the local police,with a complaint about the noise. Just shows how well our society has evolved!:rolleyes: Everything bothers us now,and ruins our day!:(
LOL, we used to fly the ones on a string in circles and got so dizzy we would fall down.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Four decades ago as a young man I took a trip to southern California with my Honda dirt bike. Looking forward to some off road riding I found so many areas were closed and a famous riding track (Saddle Back Park) was the only thing available. When I arrived I observed a huge sign citing the rules including everyone must ride in the same direction (for safety / no head on's). I returned to Colorado with great appreciation for what I had at home and a reasonably wide open state to enjoy my bike. What was the difference...the millions of people in California that Colorado had not experienced YET! Fast forward today and the "good old days" are over. I still ride but the awesome areas I used to enjoy are mostly closed. Dispersed camping is becoming very limited as the Forest service "herds" people into small controllable camp sites. One agent made a simple but true statement that wraps it all up..."if a motorcycle rides thru a stream or down a quiet trail probably little or no harm, but when 1000 do the same thing it is damaging and harmful in many ways and may take months to undo the damage." Bottom line is there are too many people overusing and encroaching on nature and those areas where we all go to commune with nature. Just my opinion.

I guess the no fly nat parks rule is not random but a risk of fire due to batteries. Too many issues with batts around the world on different devices (including airplanes) to risk a fire in a remote protected location.
Uh. No. No statistical reality there. It's just about annoying other people.

Didn't see anyone else mention it so thought I would toss it out there. I believe the rule isn't that you can't fly in a park. You can't take off or land. Just mentioning due to your wording in the original post.

Reactions: Ewgrey
LOL! I'm a 48 year old millennial. It's more about, I've been around long enough to start really being annoyed by people trying to control every aspect of my life. It's my planet too (well, at least since I moved here from my home planet). I think an idea would be to have a section of the parks set aside for areal photography.
Well, was in US several times, the country is beatifull visited many parks and with a little of goodwill it can work i think. For example every odd monday you can fly and the other days is quiet and calm. I accept the danger of fire but there are so many places nothing can burn. Just opinion from outside..

HYPOCRITES[emoji849]

Rules are Rules, Fines are Fines, Safety First.

For most of you, how many of you drove to a Drone site and did not violate a traffic law? If you successfully got to your drone site without a ticket/fine, how many of you feel guilty about your existence of getting to your drone site safely[emoji849]

Guess what? No one is going to ban cars because of you driving 10 mph over the speed limit, right? So what's really your issue?

My Mantra "Safety First & Enjoy God's Creation"

All these Rules & Regulation may have an overreaching tone to our Civil Liberties, so those who are innocent of all of man's laws, cast the first stone.

Yes you are STUPID if you Fly at the risk of Public Safety and you deserve to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. However, should it be more a Traffic Violation?
I personally don't think so.

Am I innocent of violating Drone laws like Traffic laws? Heck no! I have great footage in Yosemite NP like I'm happy to get to Church 10 mins ahead of schedule this morning. Yes all our sins will find us out.

That said I'm willing to take any fine handed to me in violation of any laws of the land. If I have an opportunity to get great footage without risk of public safety even if it violates drone laws, sue me, pursue me, I'll be waiting.

So have fun out there. Safety First[emoji1360]

Reactions: Mavman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569