DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First test flight in Colombia. Question about Altitude zones.

iang

Reactions
I did a couple of test flights in Australia, but nothing interesting due to the lockdowns.
Got back to Colombia and I've just done my first three minute flight. I was wondering what an "Altitude zone" is, as it shows in the top left corner of the screen, with a long number. It did not seem to be a restriction as it did not preventing me flying upward. When I powered everything on I think I saw something about 40 metres altitude, but maybe that corrected after a moment, as the GPS altitude calculations would probably be all over the place as it is mountainous here. I was on top of my house (safely on a flat, fenced area), but I'm pretty sure it's not 40 metres high. ;) I didn't notice any mention of altitude after that. Maybe where the altitude reading should have been it was instead showing the "altitude zone" with a long number starting with 2nnnnn.

The DJI Fly app said that I was not logged in. I flew anyway, but after going up maybe ten metres I got a high wind warning and came back down again. The house is something like 1000 feet above the nearby town, in the valley and we were way above the clouds, which obscured the other side of the valley, but here to the start of theColombia_Flight001-0027.png town at the bottom of the valley was clear.
Colombia_Flight001.png

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and more ofyour view of the world.

Hello from the Crossroads of America iang.

Are you near an airport(s) ?

This link may help explain why the message, if it's the same one, to pop up on the app.

I like your photos taken above the fog / clouds.

I know it may be tempting to fly through them but it's been known that some some drones will see it as an obstacle and try to avoid it, rise above it, or possibly land on it as condensation will collect on the sensors and may give erratic readings during the flight.

And you won't have it in VLOS if it's scooting around in the fog.

Also, you may have noticed that when you launch 1000 feet above the town and you traverse into the valley, the altitude will read negative numbers because you are below the launch point, which is normal.

Read the manual for your aircraft available at DJI and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Greetings!

I did a couple of test flights in Australia, but nothing interesting due to the lockdowns.
Got back to Colombia and I've just done my first three minute flight. I was wondering what an "Altitude zone" is, as it shows in the top left corner of the screen, with a long number. It did not seem to be a restriction as it did not preventing me flying upward. When I powered everything on I think I saw something about 40 metres altitude, but maybe that corrected after a moment, as the GPS altitude calculations would probably be all over the place as it is mountainous here. I was on top of my house (safely on a flat, fenced area), but I'm pretty sure it's not 40 metres high. ;) I didn't notice any mention of altitude after that. Maybe where the altitude reading should have been it was instead showing the "altitude zone" with a long number starting with 2nnnnn.

The DJI Fly app said that I was not logged in. I flew anyway, but after going up maybe ten metres I got a high wind warning and came back down again. The house is something like 1000 feet above the nearby town, in the valley and we were way above the clouds, which obscured the other side of the valley, but here to the start of theView attachment 129254 town at the bottom of the valley was clear.
View attachment 129253
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Fly safe and have fun!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+