DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time Drone in Ireland

ems12

Reactions
For the longest time I wanted to take a drone to Ireland. I have a P4 and a P4P and both are just to big for a International Flight IMO.
I wanted a drone that would fit in my carry on and still have a good camera. I thought about the Mavic Air briefly then settled on the M2P.

What an awesome choice!. I was able to pack the entire drone plus 5 batteries in my carry on on my recent trip in December. You could not pull this off with a P4P.

The M2P bridges the gap between a large drone with an awesome camera (I2) and a small portable with a so so camera (Mavic Air).
IMO you give up to much with a Mavic Air but it's good for some situations.
Needless to say the M2P is going back to Ireland with me in 2019. Can't wait to see what it sees.

Photographers look for perspective. It's one of the driving forces behind creativity. Adding a drone to the mix has given me a different perspective.

Taken December 2018 Mavic 2 Pro Ring of Kerry Ireland.
Ireland Aerials - Zip Aerial
Ireland Landscapes - Zip Aerial

DJI_0966-HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Did you by chance get any shots in the Ballyferriter area when you were in Kerry?

I have several of the "Dingle Loop" Slea Head Drive area with my DLSR. Very nice area.

While I was out there this December it was pretty windy on the day I went to Dingle.

Ireland Landscapes - Zip Aerial
Thanks, nice pictures. Maybe I'll get there someday. I've got another family line from the Tralee area and others from Counties Cavan and Tyrone.

Thanks, nice pictures. Maybe I'll get there someday. I've got another family line from the Tralee area and others from Counties Cavan and Tyrone.

You for sure need to add it to your bucket list.
I bought a house in Corofin in 2006. I try and go at least twice a year sometimes more.

=)

For the longest time I wanted to take a drone to Ireland. I have a P4 and a P4P and both are just to big for a International Flight IMO.
I wanted a drone that would fit in my carry on and still have a good camera. I thought about the Mavic Air briefly then settled on the M2P.

What an awesome choice!. I was able to pack the entire drone plus 5 batteries in my carry on on my recent trip in December. You could not pull this off with a P4P.

The M2P bridges the gap between a large drone with an awesome camera (I2) and a small portable with a so so camera (Mavic Air).
IMO you give up to much with a Mavic Air but it's good for some situations.
Needless to say the M2P is going back to Ireland with me in 2019. Can't wait to see what it sees.

Photographers look for perspective. It's one of the driving forces behind creativity. Adding a drone to the mix has given me a different perspective.

Taken December 2018 Mavic 2 Pro Ring of Kerry Ireland.

View attachment 60976
I'm going to Ireland in March. Did you register with the Irish Government before going?

I'm going to Ireland in March. Did you register with the Irish Government before going?

Yes you register with the IAA (Irish Aviation authority) It's 5 Euro and you get a little sticker to put on your drone, it comes in the mail so do it long before you plan to go. I have TSA pre check so I didn't have to remove my drone departing the US. I did however have to remove my Drone at Shannon airport departing Ireland. They basically looked at it asked me a few questions and let me on my way.

Basically the airspace in Ireland is open except around the "Major:" Airports (5 miles) Shannon Dublin Cork Kerry and Donegal. There is also a no fly zone around the Aran Islands. There is a map of the airspace available online.

As well, the Office of Public Works (OPW) has said Drones are not allowed in there airspace. My understanding is as long as you take off from non OPW property they do not own the airspace above the IAA does. There is a no Drone sign at the Cliffs of Moher. Again my understanding is that you can not take off from the visitor center but you can fly off property. There is a trail that follows the Atlantic from Hags head to the visitor center. You can fly and take off from this trail. Don't take off from the parking lot as you will be asked to leave. You have to be mindful of the crowds at the Cliffs. It's a major tourist attraction that was busy even in December when I went. It was busy in April when I went. It's basically busy year round. You really need to be careful as I think the biggest complaint people have in Ireland is flying drones over people.

Be respectful, don't fly over crowds. Try and find a out of the way place to launch get your shots and move on. I didn't feel comfortable flying at a few of the more notable castles like Trim and Cashel. The crowds were heavy (even in December) and I felt the risk just wasn't worth it. I do have to tell you it was nice having a small drone. The M2P is quiet and on most shots no one even knew there was a drone orbiting them.

Also a word on the Guardai (the police) you're lucky to even see one especially in Rural Ireland. Fly safe and you should be fine.

Last edited:
No need to register if your drone weighs less than 1kg.

Reactions: ems12
Dingle is great but I love the Connemara Penensila best & was there on my bday, St Patty's day

Yes you register with the IAA (Irish Aviation authority) It's 5 Euro and you get a little sticker to put on your drone, it comes in the mail so do it long before you plan to go. I have TSA pre check so I didn't have to remove my drone departing the US. I did however have to remove my Drone at Shannon airport departing Ireland. They basically looked at it asked me a few questions and let me on my way.

Basically the airspace in Ireland is open except around the "Major:" Airports (5 miles) Shannon Dublin Cork Kerry and Donegal. There is also a no fly zone around the Aran Islands. There is a map of the airspace available online.

As well, the Office of Public Works (OPW) has said Drones are not allowed in there airspace. My understanding is as long as you take off from non OPW property they do not own the airspace above the IAA does. There is a no Drone sign at the Cliffs of Moher. Again my understanding is that you can not take off from the visitor center but you can fly off property. There is a trail that follows the Atlantic from Hags head to the visitor center. You can fly and take off from this trail. Don't take off from the parking lot as you will be asked to leave. You have to be mindful of the crowds at the Cliffs. It's a major tourist attraction that was busy even in December when I went. It was busy in April when I went. It's basically busy year round. You really need to be careful as I think the biggest complaint people have in Ireland is flying drones over people.

Be respectful, don't fly over crowds. Try and find a out of the way place to launch get your shots and move on. I didn't feel comfortable flying at a few of the more notable castles like Trim and Cashel. The crowds were heavy (even in December) and I felt the risk just wasn't worth it. I do have to tell you it was nice having a small drone. The M2P is quiet and on most shots no one even knew there was a drone orbiting them.

Also a word on the Guardai (the police) you're lucky to even see one especially in Rural Ireland. Fly safe and you should be fine.

Thank you for all the great info on flying in Ireland. It’s on my wish list for travel too.

Your photos are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, they make me want to see Ireland even more. Any tips on filters and imaging editing must haves that you would be willing to share? Ignore this question if you are a professional photographer. From the look of your photos I wouldn’t be surprised.

Thank you for all the great info on flying in Ireland. It’s on my wish list for travel too.

Your photos are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing, they make me want to see Ireland even more. Any tips on filters and imaging editing must haves that you would be willing to share? Ignore this question if you are a professional photographer. From the look of your photos I wouldn’t be surprised.

Thank you, you are very kind.

I derive about 85% of my income from my photos mostly Real Estate I also do some Drone work but it's not as lucrative as the Real Estate. I have also worked with a few local County Councils in Ireland taking pic's and have had a few photos published locally and internationally.

I wish I could retire early to my home in Corofin, but for the time being I have to be happy with traveling 3 or 4 times a year. The good part is I have a crap ton of miles so I always fly business.

As to your question I am a firm believer in capturing what is there and improving it in post. None of my photos are photoshopped, If I don't like a sky I don't add a sky. I use a D750 with a 24-120 F4 and a 14-24 F2.8. I shoot RAW and post process in Lightroom CC Classic.

IMO there is far to much manipulation of photo's these days to tell what is real and what is fake. I prefer to keep it real =).

Dingle is great but I love the Connemara Penensila best & was there on my bday, St Patty's day

Connemara is AMAZING! Truly spectacular definitely top 5 for me number 1 being Donegal.

This was taken in Connemara with the M2P in December 2018DJI_0718-HDR.jpg

Reactions: Roman50
Thank you, you are very kind.

I derive about 85% of my income from my photos mostly Real Estate I also do some Drone work but it's not as lucrative as the Real Estate. I have also worked with a few local County Councils in Ireland taking pic's and have had a few photos published locally and internationally.

I wish I could retire early to my home in Corofin, but for the time being I have to be happy with traveling 3 or 4 times a year. The good part is I have a crap ton of miles so I always fly business.

As to your question I am a firm believer in capturing what is there and improving it in post. None of my photos are photoshopped, If I don't like a sky I don't add a sky. I use a D750 with a 24-120 F4 and a 14-24 F2.8. I shoot RAW and post process in Lightroom CC Classic.

IMO there is far to much manipulation of photo's these days to tell what is real and what is fake. I prefer to keep it real =).

I bought my M2Z so I can do Real Estate. I am an agent and would hire someone to do the work, but small town limits that option. Might make it a retirement job. Thanks for the photo tips. I agree. I want my images to truly show the subject, but still be eye catching.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d