DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time using new MA2 Zoom feature

Waldo Pepper

Reactions
Here are several screen shots trying out the new MA2 zoom feature, MA2 was stationed same location taking four different pictures 1 through 4 zoom. Screen shots are not crisp as straight from camera, but still a terrific added feature.

I was thinking of selling the MA2, now with the added zoom feature having second thoughts and will probably keep it.

Happy flying,
Paul

31390F10-231B-408E-9239-FBE163F1B037.jpeg714ED375-684E-4A5C-BD78-33E978C03178.jpeg700374B3-8717-4B0B-858C-AFC6E6D777C5.jpeg2157A502-361F-47C1-977E-72084469EFB1.jpeg

Looks good, do you have the original photos to post that are not screen shots?

Here are several screen shots trying out the new MA2 zoom feature, MA2 was stationed same location taking four different pictures 1 through 4 zoom. Screen shots are not crisp as straight from camera, but still a terrific added feature.

I was thinking of selling the MA2, now with the added zoom feature having second thoughts and will probably keep it.

Happy flying,
Paul

View attachment 111039View attachment 111040View attachment 111041View attachment 111042
Nice demonstration of the zoom range! Have you had the chance to try out the dolly zoom feature? It’s very interesting and somewhat unsettling. Ooops. Mavic Air2 discussion. Question: Does the MA2 zoom functionality include dolly zoom?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pelagic_one

Happy flying,
Paul

View attachment 111039View attachment 111040View attachment 111041View attachment 111042
I bought an Air 2 knowing that it lacked a zoom. Three months later, DJI send me a zoom overnight FOR FREE! No ifs or buts. No extra $$$. Just “here, have a zoom feature add-on”! I have used it on distant landscapes and on close up infrastructure inspections. Fantastic clarity. Now I would like it on single frames, too, please DJI ........ ????????

I bought an Air 2 knowing that it lacked a zoom. Three months later, DJI send me a zoom overnight FOR FREE! No ifs or buts. No extra $$$. Just “here, have a zoom feature add-on”! I have used it on distant landscapes and on close up infrastructure inspections. Fantastic clarity. Now I would like it on single frames, too, please DJI ........ ????????
Agreed. Still pics with zoom would be a big plus.

Nice demonstration of the zoom range! Have you had the chance to try out the dolly zoom feature? It’s very interesting and somewhat unsettling. Ooops. Mavic Air2 discussion. Question: Does the MA2 zoom functionality include dolly zoom?

Yes it does! I would youtube Mavic Air 2 dolly. They break it down for ya with several different tricks :cool:

But basically, once you have the drone in zoom mode (4k only does 2x) 1080p goes to 4x zoom -- you hold the black Function button on the left side of controller -- and then use the gimbal scroll on the back of controller to zoom in and out. It's really hepful and creates so many more interesting shots you can get with the Mavic Air 2.

The zoom is a nice surprise upgrade. I have used it on a few occasions. I think it is best when you need the reach and it is not convenient to get the same view in normal 1x mode. As an example, in one instance I used it at 2x at 2.7K when capturing a video while intercepting an oil tanker passing by and I was not sure if I would have the reach otherwise. I forgot to take it out of 2x mode even when it was no longer necessary. After reviewing the resultant frame grabs from the video later, I can tell the difference in a slight reduction in image quality. Below is a 2x frame grab from the 2.7K video.
vlcsnap00005.jpg

I bought an Air 2 knowing that it lacked a zoom. Three months later, DJI send me a zoom overnight FOR FREE! No ifs or buts. No extra $$$. Just “here, have a zoom feature add-on”! I have used it on distant landscapes and on close up infrastructure inspections. Fantastic clarity. Now I would like it on single frames, too, please DJI ........ [emoji41][emoji106][emoji573][emoji573][emoji573][emoji95][emoji95][emoji95]

Yeah that’s one great thing about DJI drones. They’re ON IT with updates correcting bugs and complaints, and even offer up entirely new functions. They’re very active with firmware and app version updates.

I think Mavic Air 2 does include dolly zoom, thought I seen someone post it on YouTube recently. Could be wrong, Haven’t tried it myself but pretty sure it does.

Paul

Reactions: ArcTenTen
The zoom is a nice surprise upgrade. I have used it on a few occasions. I think it is best when you need the reach and it is not convenient to get the same view in normal 1x mode. As an example, in one instance I used it at 2x at 2.7K when capturing a video while intercepting an oil tanker passing by and I was not sure if I would have the reach otherwise. I forgot to take it out of 2x mode even when it was no longer necessary. After reviewing the resultant frame grabs from the video later, I can tell the difference in a slight reduction in image quality. Below is a 2x frame grab from the 2.7K video.
View attachment 111152
Great tanker 2x frame grab, still looks clean to me and I agree frame grabs are great but usually one can tell the difference.

Paul

Yes it does! I would youtube Mavic Air 2 dolly. They break it down for ya with several different tricks :cool:

But basically, once you have the drone in zoom mode (4k only does 2x) 1080p goes to 4x zoom -- you hold the black Function button on the left side of controller -- and then use the gimbal scroll on the back of controller to zoom in and out. It's really hepful and creates so many more interesting shots you can get with the Mavic Air 2.
Thanks Maverick88 for mentioning the zoom black-button function feature, you’re right it zooms in-out using left wheel with holding down small fn button. This is so cool, what a terrific feature,

Thanks for sharing,
Paul

Awesome! Thanks for sharing that info, did not know this was part of the upgrade.

Glad to have the new zoom capabilities for sure. But as far as the quality goes though, the 1080p zoom modes, especially 4x (as you might imagine) really degrades the image. I think it is more ideal for spotting things on a small screen, rather than for usable footage. Even the 4k 2x does some wonky things with the image. This is for video anyway ... not sure about still shots.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329