DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time watching an fpv drone

Well, I may pop in and out of this thread. I ordered the new DJI FPV Combo on Tuesday and it arrived today while I was at work. Tomorrow and Sunday cold and snow so, maybe Monday I'll crash. I am amazed at how solidly built. I know it's not going to help much in a crash even though they are modular. It seems the beginner mode is fairly safe...a little like the Mavics we are used to. Anyway, my logic here was to use this as a way to slide back and forth from the Dark side eventually. My concern will be the goggles as I wear glasses and don't know how I will do with the display so close. I may end up selling this in a week, but for me, it's worth the shot because I love flying period. Time will tell.
You can get 3d printed adapters that hold the standard Fatshark diopters
that snap in/out of the DJI goggles. There is also an IPD
adjustment on the underside of the goggles but this only works if it falls
inside your glasses prescription range. Maybe practice on the simulator
before you're first flight on Monday, it might help prevent a disaster......Good luck. ????

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: NG Wildman
Im hoping to acclimate into flying with the Head Set
That's possible, but not certain. I tried using a VR headset with some flight sim games but always got quite bad motion sickness. I was given some advice to stick with it from someone who said it took him about a month of constantly increasing the time he could fly without feeling sick. In the end I decided VR wasn't for me. Life's too short to be feeling sick doing something you want to enjoy in the hope that it will eventually get better. Some people don't feel sick at all with goggles, some do but eventually get used to it and some do and it never improves. I think I'm in the latter group so FPV isn't for me.

You can get 3d printed adapters that hold the standard Fatshark diopters
that snap in/out of the DJI goggles. There is also an IPD
adjustment on the underside of the goggles but this only works if it falls
inside your glasses prescription range. Maybe practice on the simulator
before you're first flight on Monday, it might help prevent a disaster......Good luck. ????
The goggles fit pretty well under the goggles...no glasses is close but not as good. I can see through the goggles/camera, but I am now having an issue registering the equipment...I usually miss something small and obvious.

I have to say that I am really looking forward to this drone....the goggle picture is crystal clear. I plan on proceeding slowly. I have flown camera drones for years and only had 1 crash with my Yuneec Typhoon H when I got silly and flew the second time in wind and without another compass calibration.
I suspect FPV is like motorcycles. There are 2 kinds of riders: Those who have gone down and those who will go down.
I hope to go slowly and get my bearings and then segue into a cheap FPV and still use the Occu 3 so I can break a $200.00 drone until I get better. I am a bit of a motor head, so I like the thought of flying and breaking and then fixing like with a 4x4 or a quad (4-wheeler) . I will update my posts in case anyone is interested. Thanks for the input !!!

Well, I may pop in and out of this thread. I ordered the new DJI FPV Combo on Tuesday and it arrived today while I was at work. Tomorrow and Sunday cold and snow so, maybe Monday I'll crash. I am amazed at how solidly built. I know it's not going to help much in a crash even though they are modular. It seems the beginner mode is fairly safe...a little like the Mavics we are used to. Anyway, my logic here was to use this as a way to slide back and forth from the Dark side eventually. My concern will be the goggles as I wear glasses and don't know how I will do with the display so close. I may end up selling this in a week, but for me, it's worth the shot because I love flying period. Time will tell.
I believe DJI has an option to set goggles up if they know your vision prescription.

Reactions: NG Wildman
I can hardly fathom that they made it without the capacity to record photos
The manual says that it can (Page 13*item 13). You switch back and forth between photo/video like on the Mini2 controller.

Last edited:
So here is my update:
Got mine last Friday and just got it airborne today (issues with downloading the latest of DJI Fly).
I got the Combo. I will be getting more batteries and the hand controller. I have never flown FPV before,
The goggles work great with my glasses. Even though I can't read things close up, the goggles are perfect.
This sounds way kewl and like seeing the props when I am banking and braking, The emergency stop is ridiculous.
So I flew in N mode and then in Sport mode. Hard to describe how much fun it is. Within 2 minutes I was flying through the Jungle Gyms and under tree branches (slowly and then a little faster). I LOVE this drone; even if it is the path to "the Dark Side"'. I will probably build a strait FPV drone and use the goggles and Ocsync3. It will be a while and I will spend hours of Simulator time, but this is really KEWL !!!
An analogy: I learned to ride dirt bikes, street bikes, cruiser and touring bikes as well as rockets. I still like to ride them all, but my goto is a full dressed Honda Goldwing. It can be fast, smooth, comfortable and very enjoyable. This drone will be kind like that. I will always fly all of my drones but this will probably be the most all around fun.
***** I reserve the right to change my opinion as time progresses *****

I can hardly fathom that they made it without the capacity to record photos
I tried it on mine and it does take photos. I don't know why everyone says it doesn't

Reactions: pelagic_one
DJI_0006.JPG
So, I took this photo on the ground, but was having soooo much fun, I didn't take any aloft. Silly me.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Remember that as a recreational flyer for fpv you need a spotter(if your going to have goggles on) unless you have your part 107
Could you elucidate on a 107 certified pilot not needing a VO when wearing goggles to pilot the sUAS. To my understanding you have to have the aircraft in VLOS whether you are 107 or Recreational.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705