DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time watching an fpv drone

Dbez1

107 Pilot
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Yesterday, I had the eye-opening experience of watching a skilled young man flying his homemade FPV Drone and, in a word, it was awesome!!! Until you see it in person, you can’t believe how fast these things are. Dangerous? Absolutely! The pilot has to have great skill along with good common sense, which will lead to an entirely different discussion about licensing. I was surprised at how heavy this was compared to my Mavic Air2. It’s just my opinion that unless you’ve grown up flying very fast fixed wing planes, this is a young man’s hobby. This young man said he spent MANY hours on a simulator and then many more hours just learning how to hover it. He was flying in a farmer’s field and I could barely keep VLOS. At those speeds your reflexes have to be lightning quick. I thoroughly enjoyed watching but would never attempt to fly one myself. I just thought I’d share my impression but, once again, AWESOME!!! It was not the new DJI fpv however.

Think you underestimate yourself ... looking at a quad from outside LOS doesn't give away the actual need of skill, it always looks faster & more difficult.

Started up FPV flying recently & I'm 50+... gave it 30h in the sim until I naturally mastered the constantly needed combination stick inputs & had a fully trained muscle memory. By then I easily mastered sweeping cruising flights on a bit of height ... 10h more in the sim + more real flight practice & I could hit smaller window sized gaps, turn around tree trunks from a meter distance, close dive down higher objects & arrest the fall close to the ground.

Flying fast & close require that you've got used to your stick sensitivity & the quad's power output ... all needs to be like second nature, you look where to go & you maneuver the sticks without thinking & you know exactly what to expect power & flight characteristic wise from the quad .

My hat’s off to you slup but I suspect you did it the right way by using the simulator for 30 hours. At 50+ years old , you probably have mastered the fine art of common sense. Best wishes!
Don't know about common sense ... still beats up my body in the enduro track :rolleyes: & my daughter constantly tells me I'm to old for all thing's that I like to do ?

Proper sim training is vital when it comes to FPV quad flying ... without it's game over before the fun begins. Then it's the pilot that regulate the speed & how the flight is conducted, it doesn't need to be fast & full of flips and rolls, floaty slow turning cruising flights are really nice also ... all the same regulations that shall be followed as with camera drones anyway ...

There is no way around it that Acro Flying is going to make me sick , so than why did i purchase it ?

Im hoping to acclimate into flying with the Head Set as I think this is going to be the Future of flying as they make the experience more like being in a Plane or helicopter by adding more cameras on the drone.

I also think Visual Line of Sight will be extended with Head Sets as more cameras are added for different views.

So even if i never loop , i think were entering a new ERA and the only thing holding this back is Battery Power , its just a Brick wall that technology has hit..

Now i did not consider the DJI Googles before this FPV came out but this seems to be a better Set up to try out
and I am excited about gaining more precise control over my flights and this new dimension.

One thing about the FPV is a big let down is no Picture taking , but I can deal with that .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain

Can a non - owner practise on the simulator or have you got to own one
to get access to it.

Reactions: pelagic_one
There is no way around it that Acro Flying is going to make me sick...
I thought the same thing. Even watching YouTube videos started to make my head hurt. But I still spent a few hundred dollars on some goggles and building a 5" quad, since I don't know anybody locally that flies so I could try it first. Turns out that I'm fine with it. I'm no freestyle expert, but it's still fun buzzing through the trees.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Can a non - owner practise on the simulator or have you got to own one
to get access to it.
You just need a transmitter that can hook to a computer and appear as joystick. I have one that I used for my planes and helicopters that works fine.

You just need a transmitter that can hook to a computer and appear as joystick. I have one that I used for my planes and helicopters that works fine.
Oh ok thanks ????

I'd love to do FPV at some point. When I first thought about droning I had thought about getting an FPV drone, but glad I didn't because I know I wouldn't have known to spend enough hours in a sim and would have surely would have walked into a disaster. Even flying my DJI drones from screen rather than direct LOS (though they are right there in sight) seems a bit scary. More than once I've had a brush with a tree branch or two that I didn't see.

With DJI's new FPV drone, I have wonder how they'll handle crashes and repairs, which I have to presume will be more plentiful than the run-of-the-mill Mavic crashes- and probably more brutal? I can't imagine repairs on those things being cheap. But they look cool... and I'm drooling over just watching them... but frightened a bit too to think about seriously purchasing one.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Yesterday, I had the eye-opening experience of watching a skilled young man flying his homemade FPV Drone and, in a word, it was awesome!!! Until you see it in person, you can’t believe how fast these things are. Dangerous? Absolutely! The pilot has to have great skill along with good common sense, which will lead to an entirely different discussion about licensing. I was surprised at how heavy this was compared to my Mavic Air2. It’s just my opinion that unless you’ve grown up flying very fast fixed wing planes, this is a young man’s hobby. This young man said he spent MANY hours on a simulator and then many more hours just learning how to hover it. He was flying in a farmer’s field and I could barely keep VLOS. At those speeds your reflexes have to be lightning quick. I thoroughly enjoyed watching but would never attempt to fly one myself. I just thought I’d share my impression but, once again, AWESOME!!! It was not the new DJI fpv however.
NOT FOR ME! I will never be a Top Gun pilot either.

Don't know about common sense ... still beats up my body in the enduro track :rolleyes: & my daughter constantly tells me I'm to old for all thing's that I like to do ?

Proper sim training is vital when it comes to FPV quad flying ... without it's game over before the fun begins. Then it's the pilot that regulate the speed & how the flight is conducted, it doesn't need to be fast & full of flips and rolls, floaty slow turning cruising flights are really nice also ... all the same regulations that shall be followed as with camera drones anyway ...FPV
I almost always fly with RE-Goggles- FPV gimbal is closest thing to flying like a bird. Now the FPV drone makes this even more interesting. Log a lot of time on simulator to save aircraft. DJI refresh allows 3 drones in 2 years :oops:

The thought of flying one of these drones scares the hell out of me. At 74 I have trouble controlling my M2P lol. I can see some bad accidents with these fast drones, more legislation on the horizon???

Here's my 10 cents worth. I believe I already get a nigh on fpv experience with the Epson Moverio smart glasses I bought a couple of years ago. Not totally enclosed vision but giving a pilot's eye view, while able to keep my Mavic within VLOS. Since I fly mainly on diving trips during which I need to video aerial views of the locations I'm visiting, I sometimes fly from jetties with water underneath, not to mention the odd shark or two beneath me on patrol for good measure! Occasionally I might scramble up a jungle covered hillside and fly from there. Using a fully enclosed headset with no situational awareness? Not a good idea!
At our local drone club our fpv fliers have a section with obstacles they can zoom around but even the most experienced crash sooner or later. Nope, I'll stick to what I've got, leaving fpv to the younger crowd who seem to desire thrills & spills no matter what the price. Heck, I've never even flown in sport mode yet, so no fully enclosed fpv for me!
I'd love to do FPV at some point. When I first thought about droning I had thought about getting an FPV drone, but glad I didn't because I know I wouldn't have known to spend enough hours in a sim and would have surely would have walked into a disaster. Even flying my DJI drones from screen rather than direct LOS (though they are right there in sight) seems a bit scary. More than once I've had a brush with a tree branch or two that I didn't see.

With DJI's new FPV drone, I have wonder how they'll handle crashes and repairs, which I have to presume will be more plentiful than the run-of-the-mill Mavic crashes- and probably more brutal? I can't imagine repairs on those things being cheap. But they look cool... and I'm drooling over just watching them... but frightened a bit too to think about seriously purchasing one.

Here's my 10 cents worth. I believe I already get a nigh on fpv experience with the Epson Moverio smart glasses I bought a couple of years ago. Not totally enclosed vision but giving a pilot's eye view, while able to keep my Mavic within VLOS. Since I fly mainly on diving trips during which I need to video aerial views of the locations I'm visiting, I sometimes fly from jetties with water underneath, not to mention the odd shark or two beneath me on patrol for good measure! Occasionally I might scramble up a jungle covered hillside and fly from there. Using a fully enclosed headset with no situational awareness? Not a good idea!
At our local drone club our fpv fliers have a section with obstacles they can zoom around but even the most experienced crash sooner or later. Nope, I'll stick to what I've got, leaving fpv to the younger crowd who seem to desire thrills & spills no matter what the price. Heck, I've never even flown in sport mode yet, so no fully enclosed fpv for me!
Roger that bud

Well, I may pop in and out of this thread. I ordered the new DJI FPV Combo on Tuesday and it arrived today while I was at work. Tomorrow and Sunday cold and snow so, maybe Monday I'll crash. I am amazed at how solidly built. I know it's not going to help much in a crash even though they are modular. It seems the beginner mode is fairly safe...a little like the Mavics we are used to. Anyway, my logic here was to use this as a way to slide back and forth from the Dark side eventually. My concern will be the goggles as I wear glasses and don't know how I will do with the display so close. I may end up selling this in a week, but for me, it's worth the shot because I love flying period. Time will tell.

Bro im in love with them im Going to sell my mavic to pro for the new dji fpv that just came out

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan