DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How long does it take for propellers to wear out

Herongate

Reactions
Hello,
I am new to the drone flying community, having recently purchased a DJI mini 4 Pro. There is a lot to learn for sure! And this forum is great!
So today I learned how to find and upload my flight logs to the Air Date UAV. While looking at my flight logs, I came across the Controls section of that app. It was talking about deviation when turning right or left and if there is a discrepancy, that it might be due to propellers being worn out. One more thing to worry about besides possible flyaways !!! So my question is how fast do propellers wear out i.e. how many hours of flying? Or does weather, wind, etc. affect the wearing out?
Thanks in advance for your replies.

Reactions: 4006448
Or does weather, wind, etc. affect the wearing out?
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Your propellers can last a very long time. If you clip a tree branch check the props for nicks. Rarely, but can happen, a prop can get damaged by putting the drone in it's case in too much of a hurry.

how fast do propellers wear out i.e. how many hours of flying?
I've never heard of props wearing out. They can easily become damaged though -- and that could happen in as little as one flight. Always carefully inspect your props for damage before every flight.

Reactions: Dbez1 and MARK (LI)
The guy to ask is DAFlys over on the DJI forum, he flew the hind legs off a Mini 3 Pro, same propellors as the mini 4.
There's not really that much to wear them out in clean air, and they don't reallt pivot much under load. The only thing that I can think of is significant full motor speed usage causing creep/stretching in the prop hubs but I imagine that would be mininmal.
Damage, i.e. chips and cracks, are an entirely different matter.

Last edited:
I've never heard of props wearing out. They can easily become damaged though -- and that could happen in as little as one flight. Always carefully inspect your props for damage before every flight.
Thanks msinger!
The guy to ask is DAFlys over on the DJI forum, he flew the hind legs off a Mini 3 pro, same propellors.
There's not really that much to wear them out in clean air, and they don't reallt pivot much under load. The only thing that I can think of is significant full motor speed usage causing creep/stretching in the prop hubs but I imagine that would be mininmal.
Damage, i.e. chips and cracks is an entirely different matter.
Thanks Yorkshire_Pud. I should go find where the DJI Forum is !!! And post questions there instead. Thanks for the info.

Thanks msinger!

Thanks Yorkshire_Pud. I should go find where the DJI Forum is !!! And post questions there instead. Thanks for the info.
Actually post in both places.
If you have problems there are better log readers here.
In addition there is less likely to be bad behaviour here, some of the posters on the DJI forum are rude and very 'vocal'.
The only way in which the DJI forum is better than here is that it is a direct line to some DJI staff who it seems do chase things for customers.

@Herongate propellor life span is a total unknown,there are so many situations that can contribute to their demise ,apart from the obvious things, like contact with something either in the air or a fixed object, and even how the drone is being flown ,they could sustain more stress induced damage ,and even failure ,from a couple of flights in sport mode with constant direction changes in all directions ,than many many flights in normal and Cine mode ,all you can do is check them before each flight for any signs of damage ,they can also be damaged even when not in use ,if they are not stored correctly in the case by being bent slightly which changes their ability to provide adequate thrust

And regarding...

...One more thing to worry about besides possible flyaways !!!
Fly aways (uncontrollable flights not caused by pilot errors)... are nearly non existent. Yeah it can happen, usually due to either IMU or Flight Controller malfunctions... but it's very very rare. The wast majority of incidents shared here on the forum are caused by the pilot.

No need at all to worry about fly aways... distrust yourself instead, and fly accordingly 😁

-Read the downloadable user manual, test off every functionality in a wide open space without obstacles until you know your drone & how it works in every scenario.

-Read up on proper battery care & don't return with only voltage fumes in the tank, instead with a good margin.

-Don't rely/trust on the obstacle detection sensors or automated flight modes.

-Make sure you have a good GPS quality & a recorded home point before you take off

-Bear in mind that various apps providing wind information only provide forecasts, not real wind info right where your drone is. Know that it nearly always are stronger winds on height. If in doubt about the wind but you decide to fly anyway... always fly out against the wind so it's easier to return home.

-Use your common sense... and always fly in the safest way knowing that all man made eventually will break.

@Herongate propellor life span is a total unknown,there are so many situations that can contribute to their demise ,apart from the obvious things, like contact with something either in the air or a fixed object, and even how the drone is being flown ,they could sustain more stress induced damage ,and even failure ,from a couple of flights in sport mode with constant direction changes in all directions ,than many many flights in normal and Cine mode ,all you can do is check them before each flight for any signs of damage ,they can also be damaged even when not in use ,if they are not stored correctly in the case by being bent slightly which changes their ability to provide adequate thrust
Thank you very much old man mavic for your helpful advice. I will keep that in mind. i am used to just grab my camera and go take some shots, but drone flying requires a lot more preparation. But I am learning and trying to be mindful.
thanks again for your help.

Reactions: old man mavic
And regarding...

Fly aways (uncontrollable flights not caused by pilot errors)... are nearly non existent. Yeah it can happen, usually due to either IMU or Flight Controller malfunctions... but it's very very rare. The wast majority of incidents shared here on the forum are caused by the pilot.

No need at all to worry about fly aways... distrust yourself instead, and fly accordingly 😁

-Read the downloadable user manual, test off every functionality in a wide open space without obstacles until you know your drone & how it works in every scenario.

-Read up on proper battery care & don't return with only voltage fumes in the tank, instead with a good margin.

-Make sure you have a good GPS quality & a recorded home point before you take off

-Bear in mind that various apps providing wind information only provide forecasts, not real wind info right where your drone is. Know that it nearly always are stronger winds on height. If in doubt about the wind but you decide to fly anyway... always fly out against the wind so it's easier to return home.

-Use your common sense... and always fly in the safest way knowing that all man made eventually will break.
Thanks a lot for your useful tips, slup.
but i am an inexperienced pilot and flyaways caused by pilot error could happen since I am human. That’s why I am reading up as much as possible to learn what could happen in what situation.
Regarding your statement”Read the downloadable user manual, test off every functionality in a wide open space without obstacles until you know your drone & how it works in every scenario.”, i have practice in an open space, and felt sort of confident but then I went out somewhere and the drone didn’t want to land after having press RTH. It hovered over the pad about 2 feet up and wouldn’t land. I was stressing out wondering why and what to do. The Home Point had been set and the drone was at the right spot but refused to land. I don’t know why. It happened 3 times over 2 days. So i had to try a few times to raise it up and try to bring it back down. Eventually it landed, in one case only after I moved the landing pad.So i can do my best to be prepared but i am worried about its unpredictability.

but i am an inexperienced pilot and flyaways caused by pilot error could happen since I am human. That’s why I am reading up as much as possible to learn what could happen in what situation.
Regarding your statement”Read the downloadable user manual, test off every functionality in a wide open space without obstacles until you know your drone & how it works in every scenario.”, i have practice in an open space, and felt sort of confident but then I went out somewhere and the drone didn’t want to land after having press RTH. It hovered over the pad about 2 feet up and wouldn’t land. I was stressing out wondering why and what to do. The Home Point had been set and the drone was at the right spot but refused to land. I don’t know why. It happened 3 times over 2 days. So i had to try a few times to raise it up and try to bring it back down. Eventually it landed, in one case only after I moved the landing pad.So i can do my best to be prepared but i am worried about its unpredictability.
Sometimes the drone doesn't like the landing spot. It will just hover as you observed. Since you can see and trust the spot, just hold down the left stick. It WILL land. As far as props, several have stated to give them a good feel, especially the leading edge, before flight. I had a set develope nicks along the leading edge without ever contacting anything during flight or storage. Bugs, large pollen, frozen water - I don't know what, but it happens. ANY nick can lead to trouble, time to change them. I would suggest changing in sets, front or rear, both sides. But that's me.

Reactions: Herongate
And regarding...

All great pointers, especially the first one: “Read…………”

RTH only works when the drone is more than 65 feet from Home Point.....if you are right near the HP and hit RTH.. you won't get a response

Sometimes the drone doesn't like the landing spot. It will just hover as you observed. Since you can see and trust the spot, just hold down the left stick. It WILL land. As far as props, several have stated to give them a good feel, especially the leading edge, before flight. I had a set develope nicks along the leading edge without ever contacting anything during flight or storage. Bugs, large pollen, frozen water - I don't know what, but it happens. ANY nick can lead to trouble, time to change them. I would suggest changing in sets, front or rear, both sides. But that's me.
In addition to Landing. It is important to know your take off location. Metal will effect your GPS. Do not take of near metal structures, areas with concrete such as sidewalks, parking lots/garages, near concrete walls (concrete has rebar in it), off the top of your vehicle, etc. This is asking for a user caused accident/fly away.

Reactions: Herongate
One more thing to worry about besides possible flyaways !!!
Flyaways are a thing of the past. It's virtually unheard of with newer models.

About the only time you hear now is cheap drones, pilot error, or flying to close to electronics such as cell towers and high tension power lines. And even then, once the drone is clear of that interference, you can gain control of it.

I wouldn't worry about them at all.

In addition to Landing. It is important to know your take off location. Metal will effect your GPS. Do not take of near metal structures, areas with concrete such as sidewalks, parking lots/garages, near concrete walls (concrete has rebar in it), off the top of your vehicle, etc. This is asking for a user caused accident/fly away.
Wow! How interesting! Thanks for the info.

RTH only works when the drone is more than 65 feet from Home Point.....if you are right near the HP and hit RTH.. you won't get a response
That wasn’t the case. I had hit RTH when the drone was far away. It was just when it got close to landing that it didn’t want to land. It said it was unsuitable for landing but I had a landing pad, which I thought would have been better than the carpet i had used previously.

Food for thought re: Propellers wearing out

I have some with literally thousands of flights and still flying the "factory" props. If you are careful (and lucky) the props will only come into contact with clean air.

On the flip side - I am about to replace props on a Mini 4 Pro with under and hour of total flight time due to the fact that some small branches came into contact with the UAS (totally my fault) and one of the props has a small dent/impact spot and I'm not willing to risk an inflight prop failure. Depending on how significant the failure is the Flight Controller (FC) might be able to compensate and get you back on the ground but I'm not willing to take that chance. I got VERY lucky just a few weeks ago in this same scenario and I'm not willing to press my luck.

Check out this thread (with a picture) to show what I'm talking about

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas