DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flew into the lake...at 20MPH

Hooter

Reactions
Wa flying over a local lake and lost signal or had a lag in video transmission while descending toward the water from about 200 feet up....when the screen came back on all i saw was water splashing. Pulled up on the sticks ....notice the gimbal tilt. May have messed it up.....but flew back home 2500 feet....AWESOME !!!.... can't believe it survived very lucky ....and is now resting covered in cheese cloth in a box of rice....LOL

How can I get it to post....I get this...

The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension

Its an mp4

Last edited:
Reactions: Pdunnuck and Jerry
Were you in an intelligent flight mode at the time? If not, and you lost complete signal, it should have stopped where you last saw it before hitting water.

In IM mode, you can pause if you still have uplink.
My app crashed while I was in tapfly mode. I've had app crash before and thought nothing of it, just take hands off sticks, restart app. But other times it was manual flight so letting go of sticks would have it hover. In tapfly, it would continue flying. I paused just in case I wasn't high enough to clear all obstacles, not to mention drifting off intended course and possibly getting disoriented when I regained video.

Glad you recovered in time. Cool video.

Last edited:
No...i was in regular flight mode ..and had the sensers on.

Still in the rice... gonna wait 48 hours... lol

Reactions: tmiller
Sensors tend to not work well over water. Either it picks up the bottom through the water, or picks up ripples/waves as stationary patterns and follows them.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
Ok... so the gimbal is messed up some way... get the "gimbal motor overload" warning when turned on. Sending it for repairs today... sad ...no drone for the long weekend. However the drone it's self seems to be ok.

Hope it fixes up ok.
My m2z gave up connection over water this am but it did rth.
e71a1e57634e64d61e0785e75ea5ce28.jpg

No loss it did RTH so no damage.... just frustrated by frequent disconnects.

Check the gimbal - maybe a corner popped out of its space and is hung up on an edge. Hard to explain but you will notice it if you look at the corners of the ‘baseplate’ thingy the gimbal attaches to...

Yes it was... the little black corner piece was out on the left side. However when we stuck it back in still got the "gimbal moter overload" error.

Wa flying over a local lake and lost signal or had a lag in video transmission while descending toward the water from about 200 feet up....when the screen came back on all i saw was water splashing. Pulled up on the sticks ....notice the gimbal tilt. May have messed it up.....but flew back home 2500 feet....AWESOME !!!.... can't believe it survived very lucky ....and is now resting covered in cheese cloth in a box of rice....LOL

Does the reflective surface of the water affect the video connection?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31