DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight instruments?

More info would be nice ....

What exactly are you trying to achive?
What input format? What aircraft?
What output format?
What program are you using? Dashware, Racerender, VIRB or some other?

I was looking for an add on to the dji go4 program. That would have the flight instruments displayed similar to the picture I posted

Ive never seen or heard of one. Not sure why you would want to replace the FPV or map display with an artificial horizon, altimeter, and VSI. Maybe for flight simulator but not recommended for DJI Go 4. :)

Reactions: buddb55 and NAVMAV
Not completely replace maybe the lower half of the screen. My neighbor is a police officer. He was flying a department drone in the neighborhood.
It had a similar layout to our screen but actual aircraft flight instrument at the bottom of the screen 20190126_070610.jpeg

That's pretty cool. Having an HSI display like that would give you more information about winds, tilt of the drone, etc.

If you tap the little circle/dot in the upper-right corner of the map insert in DJI Go 4, you get a mini-version of this, with some (not all) of the functionality.

i find it interesting that anyone would want more info on their screen ,to my eyes there is more than enough to take in as it is .i dont know about others but when i am flying most of my time is spent looking at the drone and seeing where it is in relation to its surroundings i only use the screen to see how far it is from me and my altitude and battery life left or if an alert pops up or obviously to compose a picture

Last edited:
I remember seeing one or more non-HSI displays which I think had to be added to the video in post, as opposed to real time. As I recall, the heading indicator was bouncing all over the place, making it almost useless. In the demo, the drone was at altitude, at night, in wind. In a windless flight it might be OK. Not sure it was ever marketed. Tried to contact the developer at the time, but got no response.

I saw it posted on this forum two or so years ago, so a careful search should find it. A search for the word "heading" in my posts from that period should locate the thread, if anyone is interested.

If you tap the little circle/dot in the upper-right corner of the map insert in DJI Go 4, you get a mini-version of this, with some (not all) of the functionality.

Yep, that's correct, that "bubble" in the left lower corner is called Attitude indicator, on smaller screens you switch between the smaller map view or the Attitude indicator. On lager screens like on tabs you have them both up at the same time as in the my pic below. The Attitude indicator is a good substitute for a fully fledged HSI display ... it gives you a lot with only a glance ...
- how you're pointing your RC in relation to the AC
- how the AC rolls & pitches
- how the AC is rotated in relation to you
- where the HP is.

i find it interesting that anyone would want more info on their screen ,to my eyes there is more than enough to take in as it is...

We are all different, luckily :) ... personally I can't see me use the simpler Fly app just because it doesn't show enough up front, it's to striped down & screen info to hard to see. Many say GO4 show to much as it is ... respect that, but it's actually little that's not viewed on regular basis in flight, my eyes goes constantly between lower left to top right ... & in between make notes about possible info/warning pop up's. The rest I haven't yellow circled is mainly for photo/filming purposes & equal good to have up front to quick check off exposure, WB, resolution & FPS without going into menus. All up front without covering the FPV view to much ... I pray to higher powers that when the Mavic 3 comes (possibly/eventually), that it either uses GO4 or make equivalent view possible ?

1593898191671.png

Reactions: old man mavic
Yep, that's correct, that "bubble" in the left lower corner is called Attitude indicator, on smaller screens you switch between the smaller map view or the Attitude indicator. On lager screens like on tabs you have them both up at the same time as in the my pic below. The Attitude indicator is a good substitute for a fully fledged HSI display ... it gives you a lot with only a glance ...
- how you're pointing your RC in relation to the AC
- how the AC rolls & pitches
- how the AC is rotated in relation to you
- where the HP is.

We are all different, luckily :) ... personally I can't see me use the simpler Fly app just because it doesn't show enough up front, it's to striped down & screen info to hard to see. Many say GO4 show to much as it is ... respect that, but it's actually little that's not viewed on regular basis in flight, my eyes goes constantly between lower left to top right ... & in between make notes about possible info/warning pop up's. The rest I haven't yellow circled is mainly for photo/filming purposes & equal good to have up front to quick check off exposure, WB, resolution & FPS without going into menus. All up front without covering the FPV view to much ... I pray to higher powers that when the Mavic 3 comes (possibly/eventually), that it either uses GO4 or make equivalent view possible ?

View attachment 106890
as far as the GO4 display is concerned i find it adequate for my needs ,but have to agree the fly app is still lacking in some areas ,my reply was more to do with idea of there being more flight instruments akin to an aircraft in the display ,i

Reactions: Hauptmann and slup
Slup, does the artificial horizon in the Go4 app tip the wrong way for you when you 'bank'?
Specifically if you bank to the left to move left which side of the blue thing goes high?

More useful from a pilots point of view, I see that. The dji app is made to frame and shoot more than flight control as the drone does so much of that for you

now on an FPV racing drone... would be a great display

Reactions: Hauptmann
Slup, does the artificial horizon in the Go4 app tip the wrong way for you when you 'bank'?
Specifically if you bank to the left to move left which side of the blue thing goes high?
That's where DJI have confused thing's... You unfortunately can't fully interpret the blue area in the Attitude indicator as a virtual horizon (which is the natural way to do). If the blue area goes higher than the horizontal white cross with H in the middle, the AC pitches with front down... like the blue actually is the horizon, but then it confuses thing's by showing roll with the blue also. So answering your question... when the AC rolls to the left, the blue area goes low to the left of H, & high to the right.

In my GO4 pic. above the wind comes from north... so the AC pitches forward down (blue above white line) & blue slightly lower to the right showing the AC rolling to the right.

The blue area rising as the nose drops and then, as the nose rises, sinking, is my understanding of how an artificial horizon should work. Same as a stationary object moves in your field of vision as you tilt your head up and down.
Its what happens when the drone tilts/rolls to the left or right that made me wonder.
I see what you see and that would, in my understanding, be incorrect for an artificial horizon.
If I tilt my head to the left, an object on the left of my field of vision climbs in my field of vision.
It's as if the blue area is half and half an artificial horizon and a 'attitude indicator?' perhaps.

Anyway from what you have said it appears that my Go4 has not gone whacky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven