DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Golf club video with dynamic overlay markers showing distances

RonanCork

Reactions
Hey Guys,

I'd recently posted about Golf Course flyovers but this question is slightly tangential to it

I'm looking to do something like in this YouTube video - see about 10 seconds into the video.

As you can see there are dynamic overlays appearing to show the user the distances from tee to golf hole

I use Da Vinci Resolve v18, have been using Resolve for years but haven't done anything like dynamic overlays/tracking (mostly basic editing, speed ramps, adding music, color correction and grading)

One of my friends mentioned using After Effects (which I've never used)

Anyone know if this kind of thing can be done in Resolve ? - or would After Effects be a better choice

Any guidance would be great

Thanks Ro

I can't help you with Resolve. I use After effects and its a good program to use.

Reactions: sarahb
I'm just learning how to fly my Air 3. I plan on taking some courses in photo/video editing using Adobe products.

I can't help you with Resolve. I use After effects and its a good program to use.
Thanks, and of your knowledge of after effects, would you think it would be complex to do something like what i mention in the post at 11s in the video? Just want to get a ballpark idea
Thanks

No not at all. You can download plugins for After Effect to make things quite easy.

No not at all. You can download plugins for After Effect to make things quite easy.
Great thanks, any pointers on the names of the plugins. I Google ones for golfing but main ones i found were for animating the path of the ball as its hit. In my case I want to slow distance line markers with a Google maps type pin as you fly towards the hole (ie 500m, 300m etc) thanks

I've seen various graphics plugins for Final Cut (and Premiere) that could do that: a map pin and line that animates transitions and follows a path that lets them appear stationary wrt the ground.

Can't remember names, unfortunately. IIRC it was a collection of graphics elements (with animations) that leveraged the capabilities of the video editors.

It's not that difficult to do in resolve. Make your graphic and (since there isn't much to track except grass) if you have a steady straight flight, you should be able to keyframe it with a few keyframes in the inspector menu. It should automatically "connect the dots" between keyframes.
If you want to get fancy, you can scale the graphic as it gets closer the same way...

It's not that difficult to do in resolve. Make your graphic and (since there isn't much to track except grass) if you have a steady straight flight, you should be able to keyframe it with a few keyframes in the inspector menu. It should automatically "connect the dots" between keyframes.
If you want to get fancy, you can scale the graphic as it gets closer the same way...
Great thanks I'll try that.

Hey Guys,

I'd recently posted about Golf Course flyovers but this question is slightly tangential to it

I'm looking to do something like in this YouTube video - see about 10 seconds into the video.

As you can see there are dynamic overlays appearing to show the user the distances from tee to golf hole

I use Da Vinci Resolve v18, have been using Resolve for years but haven't done anything like dynamic overlays/tracking (mostly basic editing, speed ramps, adding music, color correction and grading)

One of my friends mentioned using After Effects (which I've never used)

Anyone know if this kind of thing can be done in Resolve ? - or would After Effects be a better choice

Any guidance would be great

Thanks Ro
I've been using Adobe products since 2015 and have access to the entire Adobe suite of 47 products! ( I am getting a nice promotion from Adobe at a greatly reduced price).

I have mastered Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro for my needs, but try as hard as I can with You Tube videos, I have failed every time to master After Effects.

I don't think I am stupid but After Effects just confuses the hell out of me. Good Luck.

Dale

Reactions: VanP and RonanCork
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972