DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Flight into a slot canyon

Good to view - glad you did it to show us ahem..larger..people where NOT to go. HAHAHAHA

One of my latest slot canyon adventures that opens with a couple of minutes of drone footage flying below the rim of a slot canyon in the more remote Robbers Roost region of Southern Utah.

Wow!

Um, I think I'll not go down there.

One of my latest slot canyon adventures that opens with a couple of minutes of drone footage flying below the rim of a slot canyon in the more remote Robbers Roost region of Southern Utah.

That slot descent is simply nuts (or maybe there is some sexual fetish going on ……)! ? ? ? . But the first bit was excellent. ?? (Carry a sharp knife with you ….. ? )

Great video. Did Buckskin into Paria canyon into Lee's Ferry a few years ago. A rush, long trip. Your vid captures slot canyons extremely well. Good job.

Greetings! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the feedback. I try to get out there every Spring and/or Fall with my friends exploring the countless number of these slot canyons in Southern Utah. Having the drone has been useful to get a better idea of the terrain ahead of time.

Great adventure film but the footage was so erratic and crazy, either helmet mounted or hand held, it was too much to view comfortably. The still images were much better of course, and the canyoneering and climbing was superior.

Last edited:
I wonder if/how many have gotten stuck trying this. I’m thinking much skill and common sense is needed to be successful (meaning get out alive). ? Thanks for sharing though.

Reactions: Tentoes
I wonder if/how many have gotten stuck trying this. I’m thinking much skill and common sense is needed to be successful (meaning get out alive). ? Thanks for sharing though.

I think anyone with common sense would not develop that skill
71.gif

I think anyone with common sense would not develop that skill
71.gif
Canyoneering, I think it is called, definitely a very risky sport, even when doing it with a group. Primary risk is flash flooding from a storm 100 miles away! When we enjoyed Antelope Canyon, the Navajo guide told us that people have been quickly owned in these slot canyons with sudden onrushing of waters from rainstorms many miles away, with no storm warning nearby. You simply cannot get out above the water level fast enough. Of course, there are many other pitfalls lurking there. Not for the weak or lighthearted!!!

Canyoneering does have its risks. But the rewards are significant in being able to explore places others have seldom seen.

To stay safe it requires planning ahead of time to know what type of terrain and obstacles one is likely to face, having the right gear (including backup gear and an extra rope). You also need to be comfortable with the people you are doing it with and trust in their skills, physical stamina, and judgement. Like diving, it is important to have at least one other person, with 3 being the more ideal number. I have done at least 30 of these technical slot canyons, many with the same group of friends that we all know we can rely upon if things get difficult.

Here is another one we did the previous Fall with some drone footage in the first minute.

Reactions: Thomas B

Very impressive and brave. All praise.
Greetings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98