DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Flight over Lower Whitewater Falls, South Carolina

tlswift58

Reactions
My main drone activities are flying ALL (like 600 or so for NC alone) the waterfalls around NC, N GA, SC, and TN.

Most people who venture to the Whitewater River in southern NC and update SC go to Upper Whitewater Falls. Few rarely make the hike to Lower Whitewater Falls, which is right at 200 ft and a nice fall in it's own right.

The "Foothills Trail" to Lower Whitewater is right at 1.7 miles each way. There is a FS Service Road that cuts about 1 mile of that hike off and a lot less of the up and down on the trail. The trail is nice as it is shaded, where the road is not in all areas. The "road" also provides some off trail access to the very top part of the falls and ability to scale down the side of the falls (very sketchy). We made the very short climb down to the top of the falls and also flew from there on our way out. There is also an airplane crash up on the left side of the falls, but it is covered now with all the foliage, but visible after the leaves drop in fall.

This video was taken being flown from the official trail to an observation deck located a fair distance from the actual falls and has gotten overgrown almost to point of not being able to launch thru the opening of the trees.

Hope you enjoy. Only editing I do is to help correct some lighting issues if any from that days flight. Since it was very sunny, shooting with the ND16 filter did help and a one stop exposure drop in Lightroom to cut the glare.

That is a fabulous area to fly in. Those waterfalls are really amazing. Sound would help. Music or waterfall sounds or both.

Reactions: tlswift58
That is a fabulous area to fly in. Those waterfalls are really amazing. Sound would help. Music or waterfall sounds or both.
Thanks. Both Whitewater Falls are not the easiest to photograph or drone due to distance typically from the observation areas. I've still got about 575 falls to go in just NC alone. We hit up falls in NC, GA, and SC; so it'll be a very long process.

I'm not much into the video editing thing, so my videos are as raw as the come - except for some exposure correction if needed.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Beautiful footage and falls and nice flying. Music would have made the video about 100% better.
Maybe one day I'll actually get to doing that part of video editing - but not a high priority for me these days. Also my taste in music may not be everyone's cup of tea - like yours may not be mine. So why put that in to possibly turn someone off. BTW - I'm not into RAP or that other stuff - so it would not be that.

It would be nice if the drone actually had some sound recording capability in video mode for just these kinds of videos. Maybe in the Mavic 5 when and if DJI comes out with it - LOL.

Maybe one day I'll actually get to doing that part of video editing - but not a high priority for me these days. Also my taste in music may not be everyone's cup of tea - like yours may not be mine. So why put that in to possibly turn someone off. BTW - I'm not into RAP or that other stuff - so it would not be that.

It would be nice if the drone actually had some sound recording capability in video mode for just these kinds of videos. Maybe in the Mavic 5 when and if DJI comes out with it - LOL.
I'm almost certain that sound recording for the drone is not a good idea-unless you want the noise of the propellers and motors, which could be distracting. Music, on the other hand, makes the film. Think of the classic movies like Amadeus, Out of Africa, etc. without a music sound rack.

All video editing software has a place for you to drag in a sound track. It really is not so difficult that you have to put it off for "one day."

Agree that rap music is not conducive to most of the videos submitted on the forum. It is a lot easier to insert sound effects than to record them. There are many sources- including You Tube videos of almost any sound you could possibly want. I often grab bird songs, surf sounds, waterfalls sounds, etc. as needed. I record them straight off of the You Tube using the "Voice Memos" app of my iPhone, then upload them to computer (Air Drop), and use them in my editing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S