DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight restrictions

Hayabusa

Reactions
I’m renting a house up
In Cocoa Beach FL 32931
Can anyone tell me if I can fly around there? I see 2 small airports or runways. I tried looking on the go4 map but it didn’t tell me or I don’t know what the heck I’m looking for.
dont want to bring if I can’t fly.
Thanks
Mike

I’m renting a house up
In Cocoa Beach FL 32931
Can anyone tell me if I can fly around there? I see 2 small airports or runways. I tried looking on the go4 map but it didn’t tell me or I don’t know what the heck I’m looking for.
Thanks
Mike

Keep in mind the Go4 app is DJI's "loose" interpretation to the airspace and in no way is something I would trust for Airspace Info!

As suggested AirMap, B4uFly, or my preference Kittyhawk

That Zip Code (32931), is the outer strip of Merritt Island sandwiched between Patrick AFB and Cape Canaveral. As others have said, I would check with a source like Kittyhawk before flying. The entire Northern end of Merritt Island above Cocoa is strictly a NFZ due to the proximity to Nasa's launch complex. In addition check your dates and the dates of any launches (and they have been frequent recently) as 30 and 50 mile restrictions around any manned or other sensitive launches have been the norm.

32931 Area
C1.jpg

Here is what the GO4 Zones look like
Cocoa1.jpg

I downloaded AirMap. Do I have to be in area for it to tell me exactly where and where I can’t?
I’m sorry, just really bad with tech stuff. wasn’t going to bring it if I can’t use it. I’ll mess with again before we leave this afternoon.
Thanks

I downloaded AirMap. Do I have to be in area for it to tell me exactly where and where I can’t?
I’m sorry, just really bad with tech stuff. wasn’t going to bring it if I can’t use it. I’ll mess with again before we leave this afternoon.
Thanks
No, you can drag the map to your location.

DJI over-protects some TFR's with a blue zone as some TFR's could be moveable at any given moment. (Fires, Rocket Launch's etc) but they do make it pretty easy to get authorization to fly in the blue area that is not the actual TFR if needed. Hope that makes sense. If you need authorization make sure you're not in airplane mode.

I’m renting a house up
In Cocoa Beach FL 32931
Thanks
Mike
I checked with Airmap. There are some restricted areas, you are near Port Canaver, and the entire beach looks like a zero altitude. See any attachment. I'd use on of your apps like B4UFly, KittyHawk or AirmapIMG_0720.PNG

Reactions: Thomas B
We are staying just south of 520 and not in one of those blue circles. ????

We are staying just south of 520 and not in one of those blue circles. ????
Then you should be good. Don't you have some of those apps on your phone? Install them and practice with them so that when you get out there you won't have to worry about a connection. I find it helpful to get an approval when I am at my desk top and near a good wi fi. I can reserve a time for when I got out to fly

As I mentioned, NASA has been very active of late, I just checked and there is a launch scheduled for this Saturday, it is a Delta IV Heavy but it is not manned so the TFR is all north your position. I would highly recommend you get an app on your phone and check the airspace when you get there.

You need Airmap or Kittyhawk to get authorization to fly in controlled airspace anyway, so do get either app. If your location is in one of those facilities map squares, that's controlled airspace.
You won't get automated authorization if requesting an altitude higher than the grid says is OK.

Note that Airmap and probably Kittyhawk don't take TFRs into account in their displays. I would suspect authorization request would be denied if there was a TFR in effect.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute