DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Through Time - A Year Long Journey

Editing is so much fun.

I'd like to give you my little secret for sound effects- be sure to tell no one! I go to the sources I need, such as videos or any music or sound effects I need and record them on my iPhone Voice Memos. Then, send them to my iMAC with Air Drop. I can then add the sound clips to my show (Adobe Premiere Pro). I've gotten some ocean waves and birds chirping in my last video. I also pay for music (MusicBed.com) on a yearly subscription. As a retiree, I love spending 4 hours editing, like I did all day yesterday, not to mention the hours it requires for timelapse photography, and scouting for flying locations, and flying. Sure beats sitting in an easy chair watching television.

By there way, what in the heck was that radioactive cylinder on top of the drone? Was that for real?

Dale
Miami
For some of the sounds, I did the same as you... played a YouTube video and captured the wav on my phone, then airdrop to the iMac Pro. By the way, the sound associated with the two scenes that go to white (maximum exposure) is from my bathroom vent fan! :oops: I'm going to do more of this sound stuff. There are some servo motor sounds I'd like to capture from the auto folding rear seats in my Ford Explorer, and the linear actuator in my bed. Maybe I can use them in my next movie.

My previous hobby prior to drones was restoring antique radios from the mid 1930's to 1940. I have sold off much of my collection except for a few of the more valuable pieces. Anyway, the simulated "fusion" or "reactor" is simply an aluminum tube shield from a radio. I put a bottom plug in it, double sided taped it on the battery, and dropped in a Firehouse drone strobe light. Then filmed that sequence in my shop at night using red heat lamps for special effects lighting and smoke generated from a burning Kleenex. Steven Spielberg would be proud! Obviously it was supposed to simulate a battery modification capable of 1.21 "Jiga" watts, or in this case, Amp-Hrs. My wife was the camera lady. Fun!

For some of the sounds, I did the same as you... played a YouTube video and captured the wav on my phone, then airdrop to the iMac Pro. By the way, the sound associated with the two scenes that go to white (maximum exposure) is from my bathroom vent fan! :oops: I'm going to do more of this sound stuff. There are some servo motor sounds I'd like to capture from the auto folding rear seats in my Ford Explorer, and the linear actuator in my bed. Maybe I can use them in my next movie.

My previous hobby prior to drones was restoring antique radios from the mid 1930's to 1940. I have sold off much of my collection except for a few of the more valuable pieces. Anyway, the simulated "fusion" or "reactor" is simply an aluminum tube shield from a radio. I put a bottom plug in it, double sided taped it on the battery, and dropped in a Firehouse drone strobe light. Then filmed that sequence in my shop at night using red heat lamps for special effects lighting and smoke generated from a burning Kleenex. Steven Spielberg would be proud! Obviously it was supposed to simulate a battery modification capable of 1.21 "Jiga" watts, or in this case, Amp-Hrs. My wife was the camera lady. Fun!
That is really great stuff- you have stimulated my creative juices. Now I'm going to hunt for more sounds for the next video.

I hope you are aware of the FREE Adobe sound effects. I have downloaded a bunch of them and put them in a folder on my backup 3TB hard drive. Here is a screen grab from Google. Dale

Screen Shot 2020-02-27 at 4.13.35 PM.png

That is really great stuff- you have stimulated my creative juices. Now I'm going to hunt for more sounds for the next video.

I hope you are aware of the FREE Adobe sound effects. I have downloaded a bunch of them and put them in a folder on my backup 3TB hard drive. Here is a screen grab from Google. Dale

View attachment 95275
Most Excellent! Thanks! I'm going to get it.

Very nicely done sir! I keep wanting to do a flight with seasonal transitions at our place. What do you use for editing/transitions?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
From my YouTube description:
Flight Through Time is a year long endeavor to create a live video to witness the changing of the seasons. It is basically a period lapse (not a time lapse) meaning it is live video, while using a dynamic field of view, and wrapped in a time travel storyline. Translation... you just have to watch it!

This is nothing new, just my attempt at the technique using my MPP. It is also my first live sound video, so make sure the sound is on. Please enjoy!

Okay, I'm 57 when I grow up I wanna be just like you! This entire thing was the best and moving video I've ever seen. This is beyond good it's great. If you don't mind 2 questions, 1 where are you? 2 would you mind if I take the YouTube link and send it to Ken Heron? This absolutely needs to be a Thursday night live video of the week.

Once again amazing.
Harry
In the Middle of Western Iowa

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Okay, I'm 57 when I grow up I wanna be just like you! This entire thing was the best and moving video I've ever seen. This is beyond good it's great. If you don't mind 2 questions, 1 where are you? 2 would you mind if I take the YouTube link and send it to Ken Heron? This absolutely needs to be a Thursday night live video of the week.

Once again amazing.
Harry
In the Middle of Western Iowa
Well, thank you for the kind words. If I may be self critical, there is a lot I could have done better, but that's just the nerd in me.
I live 30 miles west of Traverse City, Michigan, next to the Sleeping Bear Dunes on the shores of Lake Michigan. If you ever travel this way, stop by. I have no-one to fly with. It's Class G where I'm at.

You may send the link anywhere you wish.

(I wish I were 57 again. I'm 73 and feeling it. There's so much more I want to do with this hobby.)

Very nicely done sir! I keep wanting to do a flight with seasonal transitions at our place. What do you use for editing/transitions?
Thanks. I'd like to see you do it. This whole endeavor was inspired by someone else back in 2018 who did a transition. I was impressed and wanted to try it. There are definitely flight limitations to get things to align... my experience is simple waypoints are not enough, so I developed my own protocol using manual flight.

The post production was accomplished using Final Cut Pro X and included the selection and assembly of roughly 50 clips acquired over a year, starting in early 2019. The transitions are simple fade crossovers, but the alignment requires establishing a base line zoom percentage so that subsequent clips can be "moved" to get the best alignment. As you may have noticed, some clips cannot be merged perfectly due to wind yaw.

Out of this experience, I'm working on a new transition idea that reduces the degrees of freedom of the flight and thus allows better alignment. We'll see by 2021! :rolleyes:

There are tons of downloads and the only way to hear them is to actually download them and listen.
Dale...
You inspired me to think further. I regret I did not take the time to put more technology into my video. Maybe next time...

For example:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d