Florida Man, 72, Arrested for Shooting Walmart Delivery Drone

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
digitalphotocreations.co

Florida Man, 72, Arrested for Shooting Walmart Delivery Drone​

The crew quickly redirected the drone back to the Walmart store for inspection, where they found a bullet hole and $2,500 worth of damage.

Continue Reading

Could be he wanted the box hanging under the drone.
Probably won’t be the last time we see this type of occurrence.
Hopefully, no one will get hurt with these delivery vehicles.

Wonder what will start happening when people start to understand it is very illegal to shoot at a drone, even if the drone is "breaking the law", and the accused simply stop admitting to being the one who pulled the trigger? Seems like all shooters readily admit they thought they were using "reasonable" force against the "offending" drone which tells me either they believe they are entitled to shoot at drones over their property potentially spying on them or else they believe by admitting to it early on they will get off with a slap on the wrist because it's such a harmless crime and nobody got hurt. When I see everybody apparently saying "Yeah I fired at that drone" directly to the police, that tell me (my opinion) this is the standard answer to avoid arrest and it's probably been overlooked quite a bit in the past but I guess things are changing now that Walmart and Amazon are flying drone. Spending the night in jail, showing up for a couple of court cases, paying $2,500 for that drone, paying a fine, and getting banned from Walmart is such a minor (likely) price to pay for such a dangerous and illegal federal crime.

Here's a story that doesn't require an account to access.

Clermont, FL, 26 miles west of Orlando. Walmart delivery drone. One shot from a 9 mm pistol hit the package being carried.

"He was taken into custody and charged with shooting at an aircraft, criminal mischief damage over $1,000 and discharging a firearm in public or residential property, according to the sheriff's office."

What gets me when reading the comments on the article, you see the drone haters come out, defending the guy shooting it down and nothing is said about the danger he placed himself and others in by shooting at it.

Wonder what will start happening when people start to understand it is very illegal to shoot at a drone, even if the drone is "breaking the law", and the accused simply stop admitting to being the one who pulled the trigger? Seems like all shooters readily admit they thought they were using "reasonable" force against the "offending" drone which tells me either they believe they are entitled to shoot at drones over their property potentially spying on them or else they believe by admitting to it early on they will get off with a slap on the wrist because it's such a harmless crime and nobody got hurt. When I see everybody apparently saying "Yeah I fired at that drone" directly to the police, that tell me (my opinion) this is the standard answer to avoid arrest and it's probably been overlooked quite a bit in the past but I guess things are changing now that Walmart and Amazon are flying drone. Spending the night in jail, showing up for a couple of court cases, paying $2,500 for that drone, paying a fine, and getting banned from Walmart is such a minor (likely) price to pay for such a dangerous and illegal federal crime.
Don’t underestimate our un- Supreme Court. They can over rule anything now. Just a matter of time and where the money’s coming from. Watch ‘em.
Rules of any kind be damned.
Yaaay America.

Could be he wanted the box hanging under the drone.
Probably won’t be the last time we see this type of occurrence.
Hopefully, no one will get hurt with these delivery vehicles.
He is claiming that he thought that it was watching him. He also said he was trying to shoo it away. It was 75ft up in the air at the time, which would negate the "shoo drone, shoo" defense.

There is a greater risk of someone getting by a stray round than any injury from the drone.

If Walmart prosecutes and sues for damages, that would be a deterrent.

Florida Man said:
Deputies later interviewed Dennis Winn, the 72-year-old suspect, at his residence. Mr. Winn claimed that his previous experiences with drones led him to believe that the UAV was surveilling him. In an attempt to deter the drone, he initially tried to shoo it away. When that failed, he retrieved a 9mm gun from a safe inside his home and shot the drone, which was approximately 75 feet in the air at the time.

“I then told him that he had struck a Walmart drone,” the sherriff’s deputy said, Fox 35 reported. “The defendant looked in disbelief and questioned, ‘Really?'”

“I fired one round at it,” Mr. Winn said in bodycam footage. “They say I hit it so I must be a good shot, or else it’s not that far away […] I’m going to wind up having to find a real good defense lawyer.”

Mr. Winn faces several charges, including shooting at an aircraft, criminal mischief with damage exceeding $1,000, and discharging a firearm in public or residential property.

Just wait until someone shoots a drone, damages the battery pack, and then the drone crashes into a house at the same time the battery is on fire, setting fire to the house. Eventually, it will happen.

Mark

Firearm and drone enthusiast here.

There are imbeciles on every side of every article, political spectrum, and behind both firearms and drones, as we all know.

Education and adhering to laws is key, i had a (likely methbilly) neighbor talk about 'surveillance drones flying around' and informed him its QUITE illegal to shoot at them, and also, the only drone ive seen is my own, which i had told him about prior which he seems to have forgotten (dont do drugs, people). I live in coal country, PA, and there is a dearth of woefully misguided, uneducated persons about that seem to think taking a drone out is legal, and all drones are out to spy on them, etc.

After explaining why i fly, where, etc, that neighbor dropped his ragefit over drones...

That said, ive also known of a business that had their rooftop AC unit hit by a (appears to have been a 9mm) bullet, right after 4th of July (USA).

Based on hit angle, someone likely fired a few rounds up in the air, and one just happened to take out the (condenser?) coils on the roof mounted unit.

Reactions: Rchawks and AZDave
As a firearm and new drone enthusiast, the only thing important is that Florida Man gets some significant jail time and let that send a message. Not everyone will get it or care but slaps on the wrist don't do anyone any good.

There is a greater risk of someone getting by a stray round than any injury from the drone.

**** right. Florida Man was worried that he was being surveilled because of past experience? I'd like to know more about that. But he probably made that up as a weak-a attempt to justify his actions.

I'm not a Big Faith guy but it's something of a miracle that more people aren't injured or killed by idiots discharging weapons without any regard to a backstop.

Some people shouldn't own a firearm as FM has adequately demonstrated. After serving a lengthy prison sentence (in a just world) he should be ineligible to own or possess a firearm (is said just world). Anybody know FL state law on felons possessing firearms? Several states have exceptions. I'd hate to think FL Man would qualify for one. At least he was charged and not rewarded with a Stand Your Ground dismissal.

Reactions: MS Coast
You can't fix stupid. Some people come out of the womb destined to be stupid.

Mark

As a firearm and new drone enthusiast, the only thing important is that Florida Man gets some significant jail time and let that send a message. Not everyone will get it or care but slaps on the wrist don't do anyone any good.

**** right. Florida Man was worried that he was being surveilled because of past experience? I'd like to know more about that. But he probably made that up as a weak-a attempt to justify his actions.

I'm not a Big Faith guy but it's something of a miracle that more people aren't injured or killed by idiots discharging weapons without any regard to a backstop.

Some people shouldn't own a firearm as FM has adequately demonstrated. After serving a lengthy prison sentence (in a just world) he should be ineligible to own or possess a firearm (is said just world). Anybody know FL state law on felons possessing firearms? Several states have exceptions. I'd hate to think FL Man would qualify for one. At least he was charged and not rewarded with a Stand Your Ground dismissal.

Florida is relative strict about felons owning or possessing firearms.

"(1) It is unlawful for any person to own or to have in his or her care, custody, possession, or control any firearm, ammunition, or electric weapon or device, or to carry a concealed weapon, including a tear gas gun or chemical weapon or device, if that person has been:
(a) Convicted of a felony in the courts of this state;"
... and other criteria related to felonies in other states, federal felonies, etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ibay