DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly app position indicator not working with Smart Controller

In Go the AC is at the perimeter which i feel is more useful (larger too) but in Fly the AC is at the center. Thats fine for orienting the AC to point back to you but not so much you facing it when you want to maximize signal. Have you found a way to switch positions between AC, HP and RC on the "radar" in the Fly app so that it shows like in Go?
I'm not sure what it looks like on DJI GO 4. Below are two screenshots showing the new position indicator in DJI Fly. The horizontal bars in the radar view show the attitude of the AC. The map view can show course up or north up.

The blue dot with small arrow shows the RC and the direction the antenna is facing. The plus and minus button in the upper right of map view will slightly zoom the view in or out. The map view will also go full screen.

Screenshot_20201230-145719.jpeg

Screenshot_20201230-145804.jpeg

Hope that makes things clearer.

Dave S

Reactions: Horace and Mori55
this is really confusing and irritating me. Mine with the very latest updates is still showing 90 degrees off. where is that little blue arrow on the blue dot for the controller supposed to point. is it supposed to point whatever direction the TX is pointing?

this is really confusing and irritating me. Mine with the very latest updates is still showing 90 degrees off. where is that little blue arrow on the blue dot for the controller supposed to point. is it supposed to point whatever direction the TX is pointing?
I got the same issue, the dreaded 90° issue.
There is no fix. And don't let people tell you to calibrate, and it's not an interference, they don't know it's something else, but I don't know why, it's just not ordinary interference thing, maybe a software glitch. However the deviation is so consistent huh? So you can always offset it your self. Originally the arrow should point to the center of the circle, now just point 90° left or right ( mine is right side) to aim at the AC.

Last edited:
Reactions: s2seyecle
Not sure how it works. Wish they would give you an idea of what’s what.
Now there's a few really good YouTube videos describing how this thing works. It really deserves a visual example. Do a Youtube search on DJI Fly 1.2.2 or DJI Smart Controller for videos within the last week.

You can't see what it does if the SC is right next to the AC. I had to put my MA2 in the air and move it about 10 meters away from me and then just let it hover while I figured out how to change to the different displays. You can use the "radar" display which puts the AC at the perimeter of a circle and home at the center or a display that puts the AC center with home on the circle.

The AC is represented as a triangle showing what direction it's pointing and there are lines showing the AC's attitude. Compared to the useless position indicator previously on the SC it's awesome. I found it to be very accurate and it gave me a new degree of confidence knowing where the AC was when I was flying it at the fringe of VLOS.
That's a good description and with that in mind I'm suggesting watching a few of the Youtube videos that have popped up the last week or so. It really deserves a visual example. Do a Youtube search on DJI Fly 1.2.2 or DJI Smart Controller for videos within the last week.

I got the same issue, the dreaded 90° issue.
There is no fix. And don't let people tell you to calibrate, and it's not an interference, they don't know it's something else, but I don't know why, it's just not ordinary interference thing, maybe a software glitch. However the deviation is so consistent huh? So you can always offset it your self. Originally the arrow should point to the center of the circle, now just point 90° left or right ( mine is right side) to aim at the AC.
I kind of disagree... This method has been used on both the Mavic Pro and Spark for a few years under Go 4 App.

Now there's a few really good YouTube videos describing how this thing works. It really deserves a visual example. Do a Youtube search on DJI Fly 1.2.2 or DJI Smart Controller for videos within the last week.

... and the Phantoms, and the M2, and the original Mini. Any DJI that used Go.

The difference though was that in Go, the HP was center of attention and radar would spin as you spinned, or would be North Up if you had no compass on your device. I don't think many paid much attention to it for RC orientation like what has happened with Fly. The manual didn't even cover it. Instead DJI in the "early days" had a video about it.

I kind of disagree... This method has been used on both the Mavic Pro and Spark for a few years under Go 4 App.

I know how it works, but the arrow is pointing 90° to the right when RC is facing AC. (My Smart controller and original RC/iphoneX both do the same thing)
I just hate that dji keeps telling you to calibrate or eliminate the interference. There is none
People do have the same problem:

Last edited:
For those of you showing 90 degrees off. Is it also 90 degrees off in the map view?

I don't have my Mini connected to my S20 FE, so the attitude indicator isn't showing my orientation but the map view is showing which way I am facing.

A few times phone orientation was brought up. Since Fly only works in landscape, do the compass calibration while in landscape.

Of course you can't exactly use portrait on an SC.

I have just purchased the Mavic Air 2 and installed version 1.2.2 DJI Fly and I have not got the drone locator icon. Is there somewhere it has to be turned on

Tap the map icon on the lower left of the screen. That will enlarge the map and show the icons and position indicators. All four of the icons in the corners of the map will change the view, the one in the lower right will switch to the radar view.

BTW the RC direction indicator (small blue arrow on the blue dot) is NOT working for me. In the screen shots in post #21 that I took I was facing 90 degrees to the AC and the pointer was showing the correct position. It has not been correct since then.

The next thing I'm going to try is to recalibrate the SC and AC compasses at the same time in the same location and see if that changes anything. I'm not hopeful but I can't think of anything else to try.

I recently watched two Youtube videos showing the pointer working correctly, very frustrating! Here is one, there are many others.

Dave S

I recalibrated the AC and SC compases at the same time and at the exact same spot, no bueno (didn't help.)

The small blue arrow mostly indicates the control is facing 90 degrees away from the AC. :mad:

Dave S

This your first DJI? :p They haven't even had a chance to tweak the firmware and beta for a new release/fix they only have had one firmware for the SC to allow use for the MA2 and the SC software/firmware is it's own, not the same as Android releases for Fly APP or even Go 4.... DJI as a company did a major reduction in Employees/Engineers and restructuring recently.. I am impressed they even got the SC firmware out so quick. I have never used that "radar" in 5 years of flying DJI as I see no need for it as I know where my drone is, but to each there own. Give it a bit guys, if you can...they will fix it, the same problem was on the Mavic Mini as well on release. It's not the end all feature is it? YMMV I guess....fly safe.
It's simple logic - don't release hardware until you have the correct firmware to make it work properly!

Mike

It's simple logic - don't release hardware until you have the correct firmware to make it work properly!

Mike
That's a cute, "simple" reply/idea, but ... "really?" Just wondering if you've bought a smart phone, laptop, computer, sometime in the last decade !?! ... Even CrackBerries required occasional firmware updates. My first (original) Mac was famous for the routine "floppy-shuffle" necessary to update both OS and firmware.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett