DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly away problem with cell data enabled

The OP has solved his problem by putting his phone in airplane mode.
We can't even tell there was a problem, let alone know that it's been "solved".
There was no description of the incident and no data has been presented.
Just lots of guesses.

True.... Let me sort through my flights and see if I can narrow down that flight.

The flight was in Da nang, Vietnam.

I travel there to film every year.

I don't have any data on the problem of connecting to my dji go4 app. I can only tell you what fixed it. I truly believe that was a cell issue. Either it trying to connect to a server, or just being over tasked.

I think there is always a bit of speculation, do to not having enough info.

I think the flight was just a momentary glitch during take off after speaking with other people.

I have received some good info from several of the posts, that I am checking now.

Thanks to those that have provided that info!

We can't even tell there was a problem, let alone know that it's been "solved".
There was no description of the incident and no data has been presented.
Just lots of guesses.
The problem he stated was disconnecting and the solution in post #14 was; " It was my buddies idea to go to airplane mode, and this fixed the problem immediatly ".

The problem he stated was disconnecting and the solution in post #14 was; " It was my buddies idea to go to airplane mode, and this fixed the problem immediatly ".
The thread title says Fly-away problem.
But as I said, there has been nothing presented to substantiate that alleged problem.
It's hard to know a problem has been solved when there's no evidence there was a problem.
As for the idea that cell connectivity cause connection problems, that sounds rather unlikely.
But it would be a simple matter to confirm whether it was a factor by trying out of airplane mode again to see if the other "problem" can be replicated.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Agreed, the term "fly away" is often miss-used and too quickly applied to a perceived "problem".

I have had several problems with flying my mavic pro 2 with my S8, near fly aways, and unable to connect.

I think that the dji go4 app utilizes cell towers and gps for positioning. If you are in the edge of cell coverage, it has a problem triangulating your position and gives you wide probability of correct position. This can cause a fly away, because your triangulated position can move.

During a flight in the country, I had 3 near fly aways(run and grab), and it took me 30 minutes to connect to the dji go4 app. I decided to try switching to airplane mode, boom! Everything connected and I burned 2 batteries getting some great footage.

I now only fly in airplane mode. Not a single problem since I started this preflight procedure.

Hope this helps someone.

Samsung S8 and DJI GO4 app is a very problematic combination.
I had serious and dangerous problems, but i think I found the solution. Check my post here and follow the instructions word by word.
Also, never change the status of your phone after being connected to the GO4 app. If you are online, stay online. If you are offline, stay offline.

The Go app can get unstable if it is limited in resources. Video is probably the biggest vulnerability, processing FPV and if recording, video cache at either 720 or 1080p.

The Go app and the mobile itself will use internet for various reasons. For one thing, the app will look to refresh the map over internet.

The app only makes use of location services (its GPS) if you use Follow Me IFM or you want to update the home point to your RC position. It may also affect the map view. Your device's compass is definitely used to orient the map/radar so that it shows north relative to which direction you are facing. Phone compasses are notoriously inaccurate without frequent calibration.

Besides resources, a bad USB cord will cause app to RC disconnects (but not RC to AC disconnects) and may even cause the app to crash. In rare circumstances it may cause the RC to interpret bad commands which may affect AC flight but that's unusual.
The RC does not need the app or mobile at all to control the AC, though if you take off without the app connected, the firmware will drastically limit your flight height and distance.

The app has subtle differences in the messages between app to RC disconnect and RC to AC disconnect. The RC display however will be quite clear if it loses connection to the AC.

The Go app can get unstable if it is limited in resources. Video is probably the biggest vulnerability, processing FPV and if recording, video cache at either 720 or 1080p.

The Go app and the mobile itself will use internet for various reasons. For one thing, the app will look to refresh the map over internet.

The app only makes use of location services (its GPS) if you use Follow Me IFM or you want to update the home point to your RC position. It may also affect the map view. Your device's compass is definitely used to orient the map/radar so that it shows north relative to which direction you are facing. Phone compasses are notoriously inaccurate without frequent calibration.

Besides resources, a bad USB cord will cause app to RC disconnects (but not RC to AC disconnects) and may even cause the app to crash. In rare circumstances it may cause the RC to interpret bad commands which may affect AC flight but that's unusual.
The RC does not need the app or mobile at all to control the AC, though if you take off without the app connected, the firmware will drastically limit your flight height and distance.

The app has subtle differences in the messages between app to RC disconnect and RC to AC disconnect. The RC display however will be quite clear if it loses connection to the AC.

All the things you mention are correct but not relevant to the huge problems that the GO app has with Samsung phones, especially S8 and Note 8. I've had serious problems, and nothing changed with video cache on or off, changing GO app versions or even deleting cache data before launching the app. Samsung phones and GO app don't fit well, and this is an issue with the USB connection between the remote and the phone. Also, these problems with Samsungs have nothing to do with faulty usb ports or inappropriate cables. I had several instances when the phone would cause the remote to shut down and restart by itself (without me touching any button). Ideally, you should avoid using Samsung phones. But I have been following all the steps mentioned above (with outmost accuracy) and I've never experienced a problem again. I had to do a lot of research and trials before coming up with the above recommendations. I hope they will work for others, they have definitely worked for me.

All the things you mention are correct but not relevant to the huge problems that the GO app has with Samsung phones, especially S8 and Note 8. I've had serious problems, and nothing changed with video cache on or off, changing GO app versions or even deleting cache data before launching the app. Samsung phones and GO app don't fit well, and this is an issue with the USB connection between the remote and the phone. Also, these problems with Samsungs have nothing to do with faulty usb ports or inappropriate cables. I had several instances when the phone would cause the remote to shut down and restart by itself (without me touching any button). Ideally, you should avoid using Samsung phones. But I have been following all the steps mentioned above (with outmost accuracy) and I've never experienced a problem again. I had to do a lot of research and trials before coming up with the above recommendations. I hope they will work for others, they have definitely worked for me.

I've flown my Mavic Air with my Samsung Note 8 for over a year and never experienced any issues with it.

I use LG Q6 with my Mavic Pro and I used to experience GO4 app disconnects (I still had connection between aircraft and remote controll). I started using airplane mode and there have been no more disconnects.

I've flown my Mavic Air with my Samsung Note 8 for over a year and never experienced any issues with it.

I don't know what's the case with Mavic Air. There are many reports of issues with Samsungs and Mavic Pros. I have concluded that the problem is some short of communication problem between the remote and the phone. I've flown for 2 weeks without issues, and then i start loosing all connection, the controller restarts by itself at random times, once it looses connection the phone cannot reconnect even if i restart it (the only way to reconnect the phone with the remote is to switch the remote off and back on). Imagine all these happening when the AC is 2 miles away.... Now, i am following all the steps i mentioned above, and i never had a single problem again.

When I click on the link it sez:
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.
Maybe I got a MavicPilots time-out.

Very strange. I am quite a new user and i have access there. I will copy paste my setup below:

Phone settings (Samsung S8+)
Go to Settings-->Developer options
UNCHECK USB debugging
DO NOT connect the phone to the controller (DO NOT attach the USB cable) and DO NOT switch on the GO4 app before the following initiation procedure.

Initiation procedure
First start the remote
Then start the aircraft
Wait until they are connected
Then, using the lower (type A) USB and an external cable, connect the phone and start the app (or wait till it autostarts).
DO NOT connect the phone to the USB and DO NOT start the GO4 app before the remote is connected with the aircraft.

This was the only setup with which i could connect to the remote and aircraft through the app with wifi or 4G on. Jkson mod worked fine (checked through the 90db line). I was using the latest stock version of DJI GO4 app, downloaded from Play Store.

Comparison between side and bottom USB ports

Side USB port (micro USB to type C USB)
With the phone in flight mode or offline (you can accept calls but you don't have 4G or Wifi activated), it works.
If you have 4G on OR if you have it off and then switch it on while you are connected to the remote, it looses connection and also causes problems to the remote (the remote disconnects and reconnects to the aircraft by itself).
If you have cellular connection (accepting calls only, no internet) and WHILE connected to the remote you switch your phone to flight mode, again the phone disconnects from the remote.

Bottom USB port (type A USB).
It works both when you have 4G on and off.
BUT... if you switch the phone to flight mode while connected to the remote, it disconnects from the remote.

This is a complete mess. The two ports behave differently, with the bottom one being better in its behavior. However, they both have their issues which (in my opinion) means that the phone is the big problem here.

So, my suggestion is:
In all cases, follow the procedure as mentioned above, use the bottom USB and do NOT change the status of your phone after you connect with the remote (internet on and off, flight mode on and off).
Of course, the best option is NOT to use a Samsung S8 device.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian