DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly-Backward Technique?

How are those neat backward flying ( through small openings. etc.) videos made? Keep it simple, I am a modest pilot!
mostly by reversing the video direction in the editing process ,or you can as i do fly forwards slowly then come back using just the stick to fly backwards just practice going through smaller and smaller gaps as your flying improves ,i do a lot of backward flying with my MM in close restricted areas in forest settings and it does look good when watched back ,i do not do editing or post vids on websites ,just my choice

I always think how brave(skilled?)some people are when I see these flying cameras going through places I would never think to go.
I‘ll leave the trick shots to the experts and just sit back with my popcorn.

Reactions: copterbob
When doing this, be aware of the effects you get from reversing the motion. Objects like ocean waves, cars on roads, etc look very unrealistic when played backwards. Also wind blowing grass or leaves creates Avery unsettling effect.

like Dave say's...it all looks perfect and then you notice someone riding a bicycle in reverse thru the shot.

• Haha
Reactions: AngelWings78
It may also be possible to reassign directional movement by re-assignment of the stick movements. Instead of up stick gaining altitude, it’s down. A keen eye is helpful, too! Please, just don’t publish a, “My drone crashed, and I have no idea why” story after changing assignments, and forgetting to change back!

Also wind blowing grass or leaves creates Avery unsettling effect.
Why? Genuine question, waves and cars I understand but leaves and grass surely retutn to their original positions so I can't think why it would be unsettling

How are those neat backward flying ( through small openings. etc.) videos made? Keep it simple, I am a modest pilot!
There is a guy on youtube that specializes in flying backwards. His link is: MattiasAllring. He has a video of him flying backwards while being chased by two fpv racing drones, here:
. He’s informative and fun to watch.

Reactions: jpabello
Why? Genuine question, waves and cars I understand but leaves and grass surely retutn to their original positions so I can't think why it would be unsettling
maybe he means that the grass and leaves would appear to change direction in the same scene if it was not edited correctly ?

Ooops @ jcbff......Oooooo that was like some CGI thing from Star Wars, kind of creepy in real life though.

It may also be possible to reassign directional movement by re-assignment of the stick movements. Instead of up stick gaining altitude, it’s down. A keen eye is helpful, too! Please, just don’t publish a, “My drone crashed, and I have no idea why” story after changing assignments, and forgetting to change back!
We wouldn't know the difference, you still have to reverse things in the video.

it does not matter which way the sticks move to fly the drone it wont make any difference to what the camera films ,its either flying towards a point that is visible on the screen, or away from a point thats visible on the screen
it does require VLOS when flying backwards and thats where flying backwards becomes more difficult as there is no view of what is coming up to look at to help with avoiding obstacles in the drones path,other than the view one has of the drone as it flies away from you its like a selfie without the climb
its quite fun to fly backwards in an open area with the drone in full view and gives a new take on what the vista is like
once you have mastered the sticks and what a particular movement will do ,there is no reason why you cant fly in any direction ,and not have to worry what the drone is going to do ,in response to stick input

Flying in reverse is one means of obtaining the view the OP is seeking. I simply imply that for some, reversing the stick movements is one means of obtaining the desired outcome. Essentially, it is the same as some of the built in comet shots, only they are automatic.

At least getting used to reversed flying, my opinion, is not a bad thing after reading of how some fly too close to trees and attempt a turning maneuver. Reverse flying can help in some situations.

Wish I could remember where I saw that video of a take off, reverse incline climb up through trees and finally above the timbers. The guy that did that obviously practiced over and over.

Reactions: old man mavic
You know, you can add a camera facing to the rear and you can fly normally. That way you get the cool backward effect AND anything in the background will be moving in the proper direction. You also will not have to worry about crashing (unless you are racing). It's not rocket science LOL.
Check this out.

AND...
You could use this mount for a Gopro I would imagine. 360° Panorama Camera Adapter Mount Bracket Holder For DJI Mavic Mini GoPro 8 | eBay

Easy breezy :)

Last edited:
Reactions: TreeHugger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54