DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly indoor

bonmot

Reactions
Thinking about fly indoor to take some cool shots for our private basketball events.
Do I need to do some special settings?
I don’t want the drone to cut in and out with poor GPS signals, or start doing some “failsaf things because of lack of GPS signal.

Thanks

Reactions: Once Year
Thinking about fly indoor to take some cool shots for our private basketball events.
Do I need to do some special settings?
I don’t want the drone to cut in and out with poor GPS signals, or start doing some “failsaf things because of lack of GPS signal.

Thanks
Would love to know the answer as well. Settings for flying indoors. I would think you want to disable sensors and fly carefully. But how do you turn off GPS?

I have no problem to fly. I do RC plane and 6 ch Helicopter, also fly toy drones without all fancy sensor and features.
But just nervous about how indoor condition would affect MAVIC 2.

This is possible, but with many perils: Here are some best steps:

Short answer: if you do this regardless of the warnings (and only if you get permissions), do it in full ATTI mode only (a Mavic 2 does not come from the factory with this), after lots of practice, and have plenty of liability insurance:
  1. You need to try it and practice it with an empty court, many times.
  2. But even then, if your lose control with a court full of people later, you're looking at a lot of liability. Have plenty of insurance.
  3. You will definitely need permissions from those in charge. You probably will not get that.
  4. You WILL lose GPS signal, and so will have no lock, and your craft will drift (ATTI mode). There IS NO setting that will guarantee GPS lock inside buildings.
  5. Sometimes in such situations, you get really bad GPS (not just on/off, but unreliable) signals that will cause your craft to do more than drift, so this basically means an out of control drone that goes zooming off to the side regardless of stick inputs
  6. With another drone, a dedicated ATTI mode (turn off GPS) would be best so that it was not cutting in an out. But the Mavic 2 does not have ATTI mode (without hacking, there are other threads for this)
  7. ATTI mode is another mode of flying that you need to practice and be good at. Since their is no GPS lock, you need to compensate for drift (in all directions), which is better inside without wind, but still means that you cannot just let go of the stick and expect it to stay put. So this means constant attention and definitely constant VLOS (you shouldn't be distracted by your screen). So if you do find the ATTI mode hack, you should do lots of practice. But I still wouldn't do it (see step 2).
Maybe there's another craft that's better at this, but I wouldn't do it with a Mavic or Phantom, even with full ATTI mode.

Chris

Reactions: Gindra and ff22
This is possible, but with many perils: Here are some best steps:

Short answer: if you do this regardless of the warnings (and only if you get permissions), do it in full ATTI mode only (a Mavic 2 does not come from the factory with this), after lots of practice, and have plenty of liability insurance:
  1. You need to try it and practice it with an empty court, many times.
  2. But even then, if your lose control with a court full of people later, you're looking at a lot of liability. Have plenty of insurance.
  3. You will definitely need permissions from those in charge. You probably will not get that.
  4. You WILL lose GPS signal, and so will have no lock, and your craft will drift (ATTI mode). There IS NO setting that will guarantee GPS lock inside buildings.
  5. Sometimes in such situations, you get really bad GPS (not just on/off, but unreliable) signals that will cause your craft to do more than drift, so this basically means an out of control drone that goes zooming off to the side regardless of stick inputs
  6. With another drone, a dedicated ATTI mode (turn off GPS) would be best so that it was not cutting in an out. But the Mavic 2 does not have ATTI mode (without hacking, there are other threads for this)
  7. ATTI mode is another mode of flying that you need to practice and be good at. Since their is no GPS lock, you need to compensate for drift (in all directions), which is better inside without wind, but still means that you cannot just let go of the stick and expect it to stay put. So this means constant attention and definitely constant VLOS (you shouldn't be distracted by your screen). So if you do find the ATTI mode hack, you should do lots of practice. But I still wouldn't do it (see step 2).
Maybe there's another craft that's better at this, but I wouldn't do it with a Mavic or Phantom, even with full ATTI mode.

Chris
mavic air

to fly the Mavic Air in doors here are the settings:

1. Turn off obstacle avoidance
2. signal lost:Turn off return to home
a. Hover
B. Land
3. Tripod Mode
4 . Prop Guards

Last edited:
i do not own a mavic pro, here is a video:

Last edited:

I have flown my M2Z indoors. It started up and indicated ATTI mode. No problems. I actually thought it was very stable and did not much drifting. I have flown RC heli's for many years, and the M2Z was very stable.

The zoom camera is worthless indoors unless you have a lot of lights. I love the zoom feature, but it is definitely not a low to mid light level camera.

Within 30 feet of the ground, the drone will use VPS to maintain its position, even without GPS. Only requirements are adequate lighting and a pattern on the floor. Basketball courts offer both.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05