DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly inside a cave?

Funny timing. Just last weekend I flew in a cave but haven't had time to edit the footage yet.

Very nice place !!!

Was it difficult to keep control of the Mavic ? I saw you tried on your most scenes to stay still and play with gimbal pitch .

Can the Mavic fly inside a cave? I know it will lose GPS signal quickly but as long as the drone doesn't act crazy I can fly it manually. I don't plan on flying it in far, may 100' from the opening where the light basically ends.

Don't really see the point. For one, like you say, you can't fly very far into a cave before losing light. I took a look at the cave videos shot by drones in this thread and, frankly, wasn't that impressed by the cave footage. When you have a drone high in the sky and taking in a wide expanse of landscape, the result is often an impressive and sometimes awesome video. But cave videos shot by drones? Meh. Cave videos just don't play into an airborne drone's strengths, which is having a high vantage point together with a moderately wide angle camera to take in a lot of scenery.

Don't really see the point. For one, like you say, you can't fly very far into a cave before losing light. I took a look at the cave videos shot by drones in this thread and, frankly, wasn't that impressed by the cave footage. When you have a drone high in the sky and taking in a wide expanse of landscape, the result is often an impressive and sometimes awesome video. But cave videos shot by drones? Meh. Cave videos just don't play into an airborne drone's strengths, which is having a high vantage point together with a moderately wide angle camera to take in a lot of scenery.

I disagree. Whether or not a cave is a great place to fly a drone is one thing but I actually prefer flying my mavic closer to subjects. It's totally subjective but many of the drone videos I see of people flying their drones high with poorly editing and graded footage has become old and mixing that up with different types of footage keeps it more interesting. I'm definitely not very skilled at this but here are my first two mavic videos where I did try to mix it up:

I'm going to work on my cave video this weekend, I haven't even looked at the footage yet but I know I did lume cubes or something for it next time...

Reactions: Wacker2611 and Chip
Very nice place !!!

Was it difficult to keep control of the Mavic ? I saw you tried on your most scenes to stay still and play with gimbal pitch .

When I was flying mine in a cave it was super challenging. Partially it was because it was pitch black in parts so it was hard to keep track of the drone.

guys.. I was just about to ask about it! I want to get a footage in the cave(part of it) in Laos... The only thing I'm "afraid" of is the weird movements Mavic gets when GPS is lost..
few days ago I was trying to fly low in a little street and Mavic has lost GPS so it started to drift left right.. I could control it but that was so hard! basically cause it would not stay "still" it'll happen the same in a cave?or since it'll start without GPS then is better?

guys.. I was just about to ask about it! I want to get a footage in the cave(part of it) in Laos... The only thing I'm "afraid" of is the weird movements Mavic gets when GPS is lost..
few days ago I was trying to fly low in a little street and Mavic has lost GPS so it started to drift left right.. I could control it but that was so hard! basically cause it would not stay "still" it'll happen the same in a cave?or since it'll start without GPS then is better?
Use a propeller cage! It's perfect for that purpose, methinks [emoji12]

I just returned from Filicudi, in the Italian Islands and tried to fly in a really cool cave in the cliff edge at water level! Not a good idea and would not suggest it to anyone unless you are willing to risk loosing your drone! We had to fly it manually once we took off as the sensors had not idea where they were and what was up and what was down etc. We managed to catch it manually but only after tripping over rocks and almost going into the water. So yeah, Not a great idea!

Reactions: Bergumbira
I disagree. Whether or not a cave is a great place to fly a drone is one thing but I actually prefer flying my mavic closer to subjects. It's totally subjective but many of the drone videos I see of people flying their drones high with poorly editing and graded footage has become old and mixing that up with different types of footage keeps it more interesting. I'm definitely not very skilled at this but here are my first two mavic videos where I did try to mix it up:

I'm going to work on my cave video this weekend, I haven't even looked at the footage yet but I know I did lume cubes or something for it next time...

Enjoyed the videos. My neck of woods and all. I may have to go to Oregon next summer to see that waterfall. If you were at mt hood, by chance did you venture down to the gorge?

Its fun to fly in caves! And yes, gps loss farther in, but still very controllable.
Check this video out. :)
This video is just amazingly beautiful...
One sequence desserve to disappear is the flash light sequence who totally mismatch. Also that sequence is posing question : did the drone was handled by hands? Did this sequence ended by crash into the cave wall?...

There is a Cave I located that I have been told no one has ever entered due to it high elevation on a vertical mountain side and the unstable ground around it. I was tempted but thought about it and decided that I would try it when I can fully plan for the flight. In any case i will not be entering into it, only filming what can be seen from the mouth of the cave.

When I was younger I went spelunking a few times with a friend who was really into it and needed company. Things that I learned that might be bad for drones is that heavy winds can sometimes come out of side vent holes, which will be a serious problem in ATTI mode. The cave floors are typically very uneven so you can expect prop wash to be very unpredictable. If you make even one bend around a corner and lose LOS you might also lose the signal.

I think Dragons video is a good simulation of what to expect.

Rob

Its fun to fly in caves! And yes, gps loss farther in, but still very controllable.
Check this video out. :)
Both videos were good. I don't think I'd fly the Mavic in a cave, the two times I tried in the house didn't end well. Now the Spark, totally different story, wouldn't hesitate to fly inside a cave.

First couple of weeks with mavic .The wind from top required sport mode to be used but I think this shows that from a drone caves look better from the outside

This video is just amazingly beautiful...
One sequence desserve to disappear is the flash light sequence who totally mismatch. Also that sequence is posing question : did the drone was handled by hands? Did this sequence ended by crash into the cave wall?...

The flight in the cave was truly all flight, even to the very back, there was no hand held drone in there. I believe the part with the flashlight was added as a joke, and I believe that short bit with the flashlight was held by hand. The rest was actual flight. You can see the shadows of the mavic on the cave walls. Even flying up to the ice was flight. I was standing just a few feet away while I was flying it there.

Both... but climbing up was first :) this was near Bragg creek Alberta. Called Bragg creek ice cave or ing's mine If You Google it. And cell phones worked once you get to the cave. I was happy. Haha

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78