DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Mavic over a Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neto

Reactions
Since I'm not a very experienced pilot of Mavic, and I don't know any other mavic pilots, you guys are my only resource of info.
So, sorry for the noob question.
I live in Brazil, 800 meters from a Stadium.
Tonight it will be a Black Sabath concert.
There is no buildings between my house and the stadium and, if I fly high enough, I will be able to have a direct view to the drone the whole time.
My question is: considering the audience will be using celulars in a massive scale, is it safe to fly over? Or, in other words, the celular frequencies will affect the RC frequency too much?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

In most countries going over a crowd of people would be against all advice if not illegal - with good reason as you can never rule out sudden failure of battery or motors.
Cell phones don't seem to have any obvious effect since you can even make or receive a call with one directly attached.

The cell frequency will not affect the drone. You may experience some flicker from other stuff coming from the stadium. But all and all, you should maintain connection

Your question is "Is it safe to fly over?" Let's be clear. The answer is NO. It is NOT safe. That's why there are rules and even laws against it in many areas. Please don't do it.

He is in Brazil. I'm sure their laws are different.

Reactions: Kilrah
I wouldn't be too worried but closely look at reception quality and if signal quality dropped significantly quicker than usual I wouldn't insist.

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
HAHAHAHA so funny.....

Very important point, make sure you put your personal contact details on the Drone. Then if the drone fails and seriously injures some poor person at the concert the Lynch mob will find it easier to get in touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sure cell reception will not interfere with the connectivity of the Mavic and controller. At least that's what I've seen when flying near cell towers.

On another note: the legality issue doesn't really matter. In my opinion, it's a matter of good practices and flying over people, regardless of county and law, is not a good practice.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

HAHAHAHA so funny.....

Very important point, make sure you put your personal contact details on the Drone. Then if the drone fails and seriously injures some poor person at the concert the Lynch mob will find it easier to get in touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"This is Brazil!" Fast n Furious Dominic Terreto

Reactions: Chase R
At what point does the number of people we fly over become a "crowd", and therefore not suggested (here in the US)? We all fly over people from time to time.

I don't like flying over people at all honestly, but more because I'm respecting their privacy and don't want to interrupt them enjoying their time outside walking their dog or whatnot. Not because I'm concerned there might be an impossibly timed catastrophic failure.

In the end, flying a drone over a concert probably poses a copyright infringement issue since you're technically recording the show so I wouldn't recommend it. The FAA restrictions in the US are VERY specific around which sports are restricted. Sounds a lot like licensing and copyrights are their main concern and less about safety with the restriction!

Reactions: Slim.slamma
At what point does the number of people we fly over become a "crowd", and therefore not suggested (here in the US)? We all fly over people from time to time.

I don't like flying over people at all honestly, but more because I'm respecting their privacy and don't want to interrupt them enjoying their time outside walking their dog or whatnot. Not because I'm concerned there might be an impossibly timed catastrophic failure.

In the end, flying a drone over a concert probably poses a copyright infringement issue since you're technically recording the show so I wouldn't recommend it. The FAA restrictions in the US are VERY specific around which sports are restricted. Sounds a lot like licensing and copyrights are their main concern and less about safety with the restriction!

in the US, technically you need a 500ft bubble, so either 400 vertical + 100 horizontal or what ever combination to achieve a 500 ft bubble around any people not participating in your flight. any person not involved, not necessarily a crowd.

I would highly not recommend you fly over the stadium and if you do, you better have some serious insurance (as per your rules).

The rules for Brazil are constantly changing. This is what I have...

General Brazil Drone Laws
Drone use is allowed in Brazil, but there are several Brazil drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following laws when flying in Brazil,

• You must be at least 18 years old to fly a drone in Brazil
  • You must carry insurance at all times to cover third party damage
  • You must register the operator and equipment information. You can do this by emailing the agency using the contact information at the bottom of this page
  • You cannot invade others privacy while flying your drone
  • You must keep your drone at least 30 meters away from people while in operation
  • You cannot use FPV and must keep your drone within visual line of sight at all times
  • You must operate under 400 feet and under 200 feet in urban areas
  • Do not operate your drone in bad weather
  • Keep your drone away from airports and areas where aircraft are operating
For drones weighing 25-50kg, the following additional Brazil drone laws apply,

• Your drone must be approved for use by ANAC
  • Your drone must be registered with RAB
  • Pilots must hold CMA, a licence and permits
  • Each drone flight must be registered
For drones weighing over 150kg, the following additional Brazil drone laws apply,

• Drones must be certified by ANAC
  • Your drone must be registered in the RAB
  • Pilots must have an aeronautical medical certificate, permit and licence
  • Each drone flight must be registered

Reactions: UAV Man
Thanks all

Just 2 quick updates:

1) During the concert it was raining, so I didn't have to choose ;)

2) LuvMyTJ, some of the rules you informed are only necessary for drones heavier than the Mavic.

Well that worked out for the best and TJ did say they were constantly changing so no matter it
still IMO wouldn't be such a good idea to fly over a concert crowd .
I mean I have had several DJI Phantoms just drop from solder joints coming loose .
You know what they say about stuff happening ,well that wouldn't have been a good place to be over
if it did .
You have a beautiful country with lots of great subject matter to video and look forward to you posting some up
in the video section ;)

He did say "Fly over" in the title. And I would agree with most of the rest that flying over is not a good idea.

But the nature of stadiums is that you could get some nice footage or stills by flying and shooting into the stadium while still not flying over it.

Get a DJI™ OSMO and a ticket for the Sabath and get some great footage... no potential Law suits :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian