DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly Mavic Pro over ocean

Finally got around to editing this video from September of a hand catch, on the ocean, from two perspectives - the Mavic Pro, and my Sony Action Cam fixed on the boat. No contraptions.

Did you still have Landing Protection ON? It seems so since it desperately tries to free itself from your grip. In a rocking boat, standing (no life jacket?) that could become a situation.

If it hasn't been mentioned before (I'm not reading through all the 5 pages of thread), sorry.
When you switch off LP it will just shut down immediately after landing in your hand, provided you keep the throttle stick down.

U can have a look at mine..

Stunning. Love it. I'm going to puruse this thread further because while hand catching from a moving boat is rather obvious, I was wondering about power up and initialization on a very unstable surface. Everytime I've done so it's been calm. Also the Mavic doesn't really care that it's over water, and can't swim. You'll have the same reliability that you have over land. But a catastrophic failure like a lost prop or other very rare disaster, yes you stand to lose the evidence for a warranty claim. I fly over the water all the time. I like the fact the no person or property is below me, and have enough time and hours on the Mavic where its demonstrated its reliability. I don't get nervous. I'm extra careful not to screw up my battery capacity. Coming up 100 yards short, coming home is now a disaster.

I live on the Pacific Coast bluff outside of LA and fly almost every day over the ocean for almost a year. My first day I was nervous about flying over water. Since then I logged in over 8 million feet without incidence except for landing with 0 % battery after underestimating the wind resistance on return. My main other concern are the helicopters which can be below you skimming the water on your return. Listen and watch for them.

Flying over the ocean is great since the scenery is always changing.... various kinds of boats, sea animals on buoys, divers, sunsets and wonderful homes on the cliffs. Stay within visual and low speed initially after a very short while you will be wanting to see all you can and share with your friends at home.
That is over 4 miles a day for 365 day's or one year. (1,515 miles total) Very impressive. that must be close to some kind of record for the Mavic

I cant imagine ever landing on a boat, stationary or otherwise, just too many parts where wind can swirl, magnetic interference and the fact the boat swings around and the drone doesn't. I always hand launch and hand catch.
not
Not hand catching and launching would be madness. I figured this out years ago on the beach. The winds had reached the point where a landing tipover was a given. Sand in the motors. Bad news. The first time, I landed it in the condo parking lot, sheltered from the wind. Then I grew a brain, and hand caught it. Which I almost always do now. With just a minimal amount of practice and common sense its very easy and safe. For your hands too. Good tip.

You'd be surprised, I didn't notice any significant reduction in air time per battery, neither handling in the wind. Granted I don't fly in extremely bad weather, but in conditions shown in the video it was fine. An I am not forgetting about spray and waves, this is handle for hand launch and (as mentioned in photo album) life-jacket. It's not designed for landing on the water but to keep drone from drowning in case something wrong happens. I did design and tested float setup that allowed water landing but that one had issues with handling due to floats being significantly lower and was rejected.

Thanks, that is my own design and construction.
Floats foam is repurposed pool noodle, plastic parts are made using 3d printer. While I already build few of those and could make one more, shipping it to you would be very expensive, I am in Europe and my guess is that you are from US like most of the forum members.
But if you have access to 3d Printer, or know someone who have, and don't mind some DIY, I could provide files and instructions for the assembly.
This is a pipe dream, and I can't imagine it being cost effective but helicopters have airbag like floats that are barely noticeable until you hit a switch and they rapidly inflated. Kind of similar to a ballistic parachute, which could actually be combined with this. Lose a prop over water, Mavic is tumbling to a watery grave. Push parachute and then float button! LOL

Did you still have Landing Protection ON? It seems so since it desperately tries to free itself from your grip. In a rocking boat, standing (no life jacket?) that could become a situation.

If it hasn't been mentioned before (I'm not reading through all the 5 pages of thread), sorry.
When you switch off LP it will just shut down immediately after landing in your hand, provided you keep the throttle stick down.

If you’ve ever hand caught one before, you know landing protection was off. You can’t catch it otherwise.

As for the life jacket, feel free to wear one. I chose not to.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne