DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway avoidance

What you describe is not a flyaway as much as it is a pilot rushing to take off before the home point is set and thus (perhaps) landing in an unexpected location. Pilot error.

Of greater importance is that you check the drone's orientation on the map before take off. For if there is a compass error that could lead to a true fly away, the drones orientation will not show correctly, but it's location will.
Ah, then one more thing to check... the orientation of the drone icon, the blue arrow. Thanks. Good tip. Shows if there is a compass error.

Reactions: MS Coast
No!
I mean, yes that is how it's seen on this forum but that is very unfortunate.

Why? Because if you don't know what a fly-away actually is then you can't understand when a report to the NTSB is required. This forum, I would hope, is meant to increase knowledge and not dumb things down.
A proportion of flyaways can also be caused by external interference in the form of EMI or by unbalanced magnetic fields that disrupt the radio link. If you take a straw poll of reported incidents, a significant proportion of flights will have come into relatively close proximity to badly shielded electricity substations or high tension cables.

A proportion of flyaways can also be caused by external interference in the form of EMI or by unbalanced magnetic fields that disrupt the radio link. If you take a straw poll of reported incidents, a significant proportion of flights will have come into relatively close proximity to badly shielded electricity substations or high tension cables.
Can you offer any hard evidence to suggest that high tension (voltage in the US) transmission lines cause problems with drones? Any cases documented by people or groups with the technical background and tools?

Yes, there are Youtube reports of drones that "went crazy" near power lines, but they hardly provide a cause-and-effect case.

Sorry .. but this is just a myth.
At worst, interference might swamp the control signal enough to initiate a failsafe return to home.
But it cannot cause your drone to fly away uncontrollably.
It just doesn't happen.

I know the other day I was flying my mini 2 and almost had a fly a way because of the wind. Earlier in the flights the drone was doing fine wasn't fighting any significant winds. As the day was going on I noticed that the drone flying south even in sport mode. I knew at that moment it was time to pack it in. I couldn't get it above 5 mph with the drone.

I know the other day I was flying my mini 2 and almost had a fly a way because of the wind.
If your drone gets blown away because you end up downwind and have trouble returning against the wind, that's not a "flyaway".

If your drone gets blown away because you end up downwind and have trouble returning against the wind, that's not a "flyaway".
Having your drone fly away because of wind or failures from mechanical or software is all the same. I have read a lot of posts on these boards all on Facebook, on here and DJI boards where people have lost their drones due to wind and that is considered a fly away. Doesn’t it fly away from you without your control?

Having your drone fly away because of wind or failures from mechanical or software is all the same.
There's a huge difference between a rare genuine hardware failure and a flyer losing his drone due to wind.
I have read a lot of posts on these boards all on Facebook, on here and DJI boards where people have lost their drones due to wind and that is considered a fly away.
If you put your drone where it can't get home against the wind, that is 100% down to operator failure.
Doesn’t it fly away from you without your control?
Are you genuinely asking this?
As the pilot, it's your job to plan your flying before you launch and keep a close eye on how things are going during the flight.
You need to know what the wind is doing, how strong it is, what direction it's blowing and how that will affect your flight.
You need to monitor your battery and where the drone is to make sure that you don't end up too far away to be able to get back..
If the pilot fails at that, the drone doesn't "fly away".

Last edited:
Reactions: Ty Pilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe