DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway avoidance

Reactions: Meta4
Note that the link provided above does not define what a flyaway is.

Don't get me started...

Note that the link provided above does not define what a flyaway is
It's an incident where a drone loses communication with its pilot and/or it flies off in an unintended direction.

It's an incident where a drone loses communication with its pilot and/or it flies off in an unintended direction.
Not really. The "or" implies that a loss of communication is a flyaway but that's not necessarily true.

And a drone can fly off in an unintended direction with any beginner at the controls. That's not what the FAA/NTSB means by flyaway.

@Vic Moss

Recognizing that most "fly aways" reported here are more a matter of the pilot having flown the drone into an unrecoverable situation rather than a failure or malfunction of the drone.

Not really
I think you know exactly what the average person means when they say "flyaway". No need to be super technical here and get off topic.

Recognizing that most "fly aways" reported here are more a matter of the pilot having flown the drone into an unrecoverable situation rather than a failure or malfunction of the drone.
Indeed. That is certainly the case most times.

I think you know exactly what the average person means when they say "flyaway". No need to be super technical here and get off topic.
So now everyone knows knows what a flyaway is?

If I'm asked for a definition in a thread on what a flyaway is, then I will ask it here!

Here was my definition:

Flyaway: the act of a UAS taking a flight path not directed by the RPIC and not defined by the UAS itself. For example, if the UAS flight path, in case of a control failure, is set to immediately descend, or to return "home" and that is what takes place, then that is not a flyaway. Any other flight path is a flyaway.

That is very similar to how the NTSB defines it.

There are two types of "fly aways".

The first is pilot error. That usually happens when someone doesn't set home point and the drone goes into RTH to the wrong direction. It can also be caused by someone not calibrating the compass when needed. Another commonly seen one is when someone flies too close to a structure emitting frequencies that mess with the control of the drone.

Those are all chalked up to "pilot error".

The other type is from controller or flight malfunctions caused by mechanical or software issues with the drone system. Those are not "pilot error" and it's a good idea to report those to NTSB. If it's a flight control issue, those actually require an NTSB report.

I hope this clears things up.

Indeed. That is certainly the case most times.
No!
I mean, yes that is how it's seen on this forum but that is very unfortunate.

Why? Because if you don't know what a fly-away actually is then you can't understand when a report to the NTSB is required. This forum, I would hope, is meant to increase knowledge and not dumb things down.

There are two types of "fly aways".

The first is pilot error. That usually happens when someone doesn't set home point and the drone goes into RTH to the wrong direction. It can also be caused by someone not calibrating the compass when needed. Another commonly seen one is when someone flies too close to a structure emitting frequencies that mess with the control of the drone.

Those are all chalked up to "pilot error".

The other type is from controller or flight malfunctions caused by mechanical or software issues with the drone system. Those are not "pilot error" and it's a good idea to report those to NTSB. If it's a flight control issue, those actually require an NTSB report.

I hope this clears things up.
Precisely! And the pilot errors are not actually recognized as a "fly-away" by the FAA/NTSB.

Precisely! And the pilot errors are not actually recognized as a "fly-away" by the FAA/NTSB.
Correct. They're still called "fly aways" by the industry, but the FAA and/or NTSB don't care about them. At least as long as the don't cause any issues at the "fly away". If they cause an injury of damage the meet the guidelines under §107.9 (Federal Register :: Request Access), then it's required to file an FAA report.

Correct. They're still called "fly aways" by the industry, but the FAA and/or NTSB don't care about them. At least as long as the don't cause any issues at the "fly away". If they cause an injury of damage the meet the guidelines under §107.9 (Federal Register :: Request Access), then it's required.
Thank you! And the NTSB Advisory I posted on another fly-away thread was an attempt by the NTSB to explain to UAS pilots how 830.5 applies to them.

Edit to add the NTSB Advisory LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
This forum, I would hope, is meant to increase knowledge and not dumb things down.
Indeed. And this forum is most useful when threads stay on topic. The OP is not asking for the definition of a "flyaway" and/or when it needs to be reported to the local authorities. While it's no doubt an interesting and important topic, it would make more sense to start your own dedicated thread if you want to take a deep dive into that topic.

Reactions: GFields and FLDave
Everyone, please stay on topic. Thanks

FIRST, to reiterate, READ THE MANUAL!!! Many times! Then the BEST way to avoid a flyaway is make sure your satellite indicator is white and you get the homepoint updated message.
Amen on both.

For the home point, confirm that it's in the intended location and that the drone orientation is correct, i.e. the drone's compass hasn't been disturbed on startup by nearby ferrous metals.

I tend to read 'problem' threads and the impression that I am left with is that when a drone has failed to respond to the commands issued by the pilot and actually flown away i.e. moved, the most common cause is due to the drone having been powered up etc. near magnetic metal.

I believe that the pre flight check to avoid this is that the pilot checks that the app actually indicates that the drone is pointing in the correct compass direction, which requires? that the pilot knows where north etc. is.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rle