DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Which authority should I contact in the event of a flyaway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reactions
I've seen a lot of discussion here about how to handle flyaway replacement, or how to determine the cause of the flyaway. My question is not related to either of those, but instead is which authority should I contact, and when should I contact them in the event of a flyaway? My fear is that in the moments after a flyaway my drone will pose a danger to both aircraft and/or individuals on the ground, and I'd like to mitigate this as much as possible.

Reactions: Theoriginalgregtoo
Just looked through the 3 pages of FAQs, and I'm not seeing anything pertaining (directly or indirectly) to my question. Appreciate you linking it though, I wasn't aware of this FAQ, and there is definitely some good information there.

Just looked through the 3 pages of FAQs, and I'm not seeing anything pertaining (directly or indirectly) to my question. Appreciate you linking it though, I wasn't aware of this FAQ, and there is definitely some good information there.
Nor did I. but I sent it to you anyway as there is a number you can call.
You can also email them at [email protected]

I have emailed them myself as I am interested in knowing the answer to your question.

A couple of our forum members may already have the answer @Vic Moss and @BigAl07

Reactions: Theoriginalgregtoo
Oh awesome, I didn't catch the contact info. Good looking out, thank you.

I've seen a lot of discussion here about how to handle flyaway replacement, or how to determine the cause of the flyaway. My question is not related to either of those, but instead is which authority should I contact, and when should I contact them in the event of a flyaway? My fear is that in the moments after a flyaway my drone will pose a danger to both aircraft and/or individuals on the ground, and I'd like to mitigate this as much as possible.
Contact NTSB. Here's the info and flow chart. NTSB

My fear is that in the moments after a flyaway my drone will pose a danger to both aircraft and/or individuals on the ground, and I'd like to mitigate this as much as possible
Just curious -- how is contacting an authority going to mitigate danger to nearby aircraft and/or individuals on the ground? The event will likely be over by the time you're able to report the incident.

Reactions: Kilrah and Meta4
Just curious -- how is contacting an authority going to mitigate danger to nearby aircraft and/or individuals on the ground? The event will likely be over by the time you're able to report the incident.
It won't, but it demonstrates the professionalism of the 107 pilot. I'm aware that some will think that's [Language Removed by ADMIN]. But the NTSB will probably not do anything anyway so why not report it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't, but it demonstrates the professionalism of the 107 pilot. I'm aware that some will think that's [Language Removed by ADMIN]. But the NTSB will probably not do anything anyway so why not report it?
There are no reporting requirements for a flyaway - that's only required for injury or damage as defined in 14 CFR 107.9.

Aside from that, if you suspect that an out-of-control UAV might endanger other aircraft then you could call the nearest ATC facility and advise them of its last known position and direction of travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no reporting requirements for a flyaway - that's only required for injury or damage as defined in 14 CFR 107.9.

Aside from that, if you suspect that an out-of-control UAV might endanger other aircraft then you could call the nearest ATC facility and advise them of its last known position and direction of travel.
It's up to the RPIC to know all of the regs. I'm not trying to be "right" here. I'm just stating the facts.

Operators must consider that the rest of the reporting requirements for serious incidents listed in section 830.5 apply regardless of UAS airworthiness certification. Listed serious incidents that apply to all UAS include the following events:
• Flight control system malfunction or failure: For an uncrewed aircraft, a true “fly-away” would qualify
. A lost link that behaves as expected does not qualify.

And let's say "professionalism" (i.e., knowing and following rules) doesn't really do it for you. Then consider that there is a nice drone out there somewhere with your registration number clearly visible on it.

Someone finds it and reports that they found it. The FAA gets word that you've lost your drone and they want to return it to you. When they call you, they ask what happened. You say, "Oh, it was just a fly away and nobody was harmed." Well, how do you know? You didn't even know where your drone was.

Now, imagine that you told them, "Well, I informed the NTSB and they decided no investigation was necessary."

I only know which scenario I would choose. To each their own.

It's up to the RPIC to know all of the regs. I'm not trying to be "right" here. I'm just stating the facts.

Operators must consider that the rest of the reporting requirements for serious incidents listed in section 830.5 apply regardless of UAS airworthiness certification. Listed serious incidents that apply to all UAS include the following events:
• Flight control system malfunction or failure: For an uncrewed aircraft, a true “fly-away” would qualify

And let's say "professionalism" (i.e., knowing and following rules) doesn't really do it for you. Then consider that there is a nice drone out there somewhere with your registration number clearly visible on it.

Someone finds it and reports that they found it. The FAA gets word that you've lost your drone and they want to return it to you. When they call you, they ask what happened. You say, "Oh, it was just a fly away and nobody was harmed." Well, how do you know? You didn't even know where your drone was.

Now, imagine that you told them, "Well, I informed the NTSB and they decided no investigation was necessary."

Great response and the attitude all 107 pilots should adhere to....

The last part of the NTSB Advisory: "We would also like to remind uncrewed aircraft operators that none of Part 830 is intended to apply to hobbyist or recreational operators as described in section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 20124 and applicable FAA guidance."

49 CFR 830 only applies to defined unmanned aircraft accidents:

830.2​
Unmanned aircraft accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of any public or civil unmanned aircraft system that takes place between the time that the system is activated with the purpose of flight and the time that the system is deactivated at the conclusion of its mission, in which:​
(1) Any person suffers death or serious injury; or​
(2) The aircraft holds an airworthiness certificate and sustains substantial damage.​
Professionalism does not generally include randomly making non-required notifications to agencies that have more important things to deal with. If your aircraft is appropriately marked then the FAA or LE will not have any problem contacting you if it is found.
That's quite a straw man you have going here.

Yes - you go right ahead and call the NTSB when you lose your drone. And let us know how that works out.

Related topic: I have my contact info on my drone so if such a thing should occur, and the drone lands itself, and someone finds it and chooses to do the right thing, I could get my drone back.

Related topic: I have my contact info on my drone so if such a thing should occur, and the drone lands itself, and someone finds it and chooses to do the right thing, I could get my drone back.
Same here. Smart.

Professionalism does not generally include randomly making non-required notifications to agencies that have more important things to deal with. If your aircraft is appropriately marked then the FAA or LE will not have any problem contacting you if it is found.
Agreed. Let's not overwhelm agencies will unneeded notifications. That's going to limit their ability to handle situations that actually need their attention.

Good information is being provided let's just stay civil.

@Starstuff posted the link above but just for a visual I have attached the NTSB's flowchart. As a 107 operator I would only report to the NTSB when the FAA report is required per 107.9

§ 107.9 Safety event reporting.

No later than 10 calendar days after an operation that meets the criteria of either paragraph (a) or (b) of this section, a remote pilot in command must report to the FAA, in a manner acceptable to the Administrator, any operation of the small unmanned aircraft involving at least:

(a) Serious injury to any person or any loss of consciousness; or

(b) Damage to any property, other than the small unmanned aircraft, unless one of the following conditions is satisfied:

(1) The cost of repair (including materials and labor) does not exceed $500; or
(2) The fair market value of the property does not exceed $500 in the event of total loss.

NTSB.jpg

True, but the OP is a 107 pilot.
Maybe "part 107" should be added to the subject line then or in the OP. Hobbyists do need to know that advisory doesn't pertain to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke