DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying 2.4 or 5.8? how to know from flying data.

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
I want to know from Airdata.com or any flying data when my aircraft switches from 5.8 to 2.4 or vice-versa. I want to know what is the most useful frequency in my area in order to buy an antenna for my Mavic 2 pro.

It is my understanding that the aircraft will try to use 5.8ghz first if is not busy and will switch to 2.4 in case of interference. log.jpg

I want to know from Airdata.com or any flying data when my aircraft switches from 5.8 to 2.4 or vice-versa. I want to know what is the most useful frequency in my area in order to buy an antenna for my Mavic 2 pro.

It is my understanding that the aircraft will try to use 5.8ghz first if is not busy and will switch to 2.4 in case of interference. View attachment 90709
I don’t think it records this but you can just get a 5.8/2.4 antenna. If you are boosting it they make dual frequency amps as well.

I don’t think it records this but you can just get a 5.8/2.4 antenna. If you are boosting it they make dual frequency amps as well.
I don't know that. Who makes dual-frequency boosters? I was considering Alientech 5.8 but I don't like the idea of losing the 2.4 bands. Some of the antennas had too many connectors and I can see the signal lose for having too many cables and i don't like that either.

I don't know that. Who makes dual-frequency boosters? I was considering Alientech 5.8 but I don't like the idea of losing the 2.4 bands. Some of the antennas had too many connectors and I can see the signal lose for having too many cables and i don't like that either.

Forget about boosters. They can improve the uplink only. They are bulky , heavy and add more points of failure. I have used the Alientech DUO on my M1P ( FCC, no boost ). There were still 3 signal bars ( max 5 ) on uplink and downlink at 8 km out. If you use FCC + boost ( by software means such as NLD or iOS mod app ) , you can get it out to more than 14 km.

Reactions: zeusfl
Connection from the remote to the amp and then amp to remote is all you need and that’s what you’d get in any set up.

I like Allientech design. Fewer cables, just straight. Less lost but the antenna only without a booster does not see very convincing for me.

I like Allientech design. Fewer cables, just straight. Less lost but the antenna only without a booster does not see very convincing for me.

The Alientech antennas achieves signal improvement by focusing the radio energy into the forward direction. The price you pay is to make sure that the antenna is always pointing towards the craft. There is no such need for the omni-directional stock antenna.

There’s still a connector between the amps and the antenna they have just built into it into the a sleek looking package. If you were to say it’s too busy looking to have so many connectors, ok, but there’s not any more signal lost.

You could also just get separate antennas for the right and left sides that connect directly to the amp if you want to cut out one set of connectors

The Alientech antennas achieves signal improvement by focusing the radio energy into the forward direction. The price you pay is to make sure that the antenna is always pointing towards the craft. There is no such need for the omni-directional stock antenna.
I am currently using the antenna deflectors and they work fine but still not sufficient in my opinion. I guess the antenna without booster will won't make too much different than the deflector.

Forget about boosters. They can improve the uplink only. They are bulky , heavy and add more points of failure. I have used the Alientech DUO on my M1P ( FCC, no boost ). There were still 3 signal bars ( max 5 ) on uplink and downlink at 8 km out. If you use FCC + boost ( by software means such as NLD or iOS mod app ) , you can get it out to more than 14 km.
This isn’t true. DJI drones use dual uplink and downlink antennas. To put it another way the amp will amplify the faint signal of the received downlink so that it is usable.

I am currently using the antenna deflectors and they work fine but still not sufficient in my opinion. I guess the antenna without booster will won't make too much different than the deflector.

I never trust those antenna reflectors. They are not as optimized as the Alientech especially when two bands need be taken care of. When used on M2P, Alientech antennas with and without boosters perform the same.

Reactions: Mr Shamrok
You use both the amps that I linked above and the antenna I linked above. I agree that it’s not worth it to do an antenna mod if you aren’t gonna boost.

Those two things together, however, is a winning combo. Will blow those deflector thingys to Kingdom come

This isn’t true. DJI drones use dual uplink and downlink antennas. To put it another way the amp will amplify the faint signal of the received downlink so that it is usable.

I have been working in the cellular industry for 20+ years so I know these stuff. Google "noise figure" and you will know the statement "amp will amplify the faint signal of the received downlink" is incorrect if the front-end amplifier inside the RC is a high quality one. In M2P, it is. In other models such as Spark, it is not so external downlink booster will help only on low-end models. This has been verified in actual use. Not just a theory.

I want to go boosted. What setup do you recommend? Full setup. I need everything. I was considerate the Allientech 5.8 because will work perfect as well in my Mavic Mini. The signal sucks in the mini. So many interruptions and lags. Now that I have the Mavic 2 pro the flying experience is completely deferent. Very smooth.

I have been working in the cellular industry for 20+ years so I know these stuff. Google "noise figure" and you will know the statement "amp will amplify the faint signal of the received downlink" is incorrect if the front-end amplifier inside the RC is a high quality one. In M2P, it is. In other models such as Spark, it is not so external downlink booster will help only on low-end models. This has been verified in actual use. Not just a theory.
There will be noise but it’s a digital system that can filter out its own transmission to a degree. I have a boosted antenna on my Mavic Pro and without the booster I can only get maybe 2000 feet before I lose downlink from my house in a congested area using the same antenna. With the 3w booster I can go 2-3 miles. I haven’t found the limit yet in non-congested areas.

It’s like night and day. So I don’t understand what you mean by it won’t help downlink when it clearly does.

Reactions: zeusfl
I want to go boosted. What setup do you recommend? Full setup. I need everything. I was considerate the Allientech 5.8 because will work perfect as well in my Mavic Mini. The signal sucks in the mini. So many interruptions and lags. Now that I have the Mavic 2 pro the flying experience is completely deferent. Very smooth.

if it’s your first time just pony up and get these cables. They are way over priced but the exact best thing is really hard to find individually and with this you know you are getting the right stuff.

I think the Alientech antenna and amps(you need two amps) listed above are as good as any. If that hurts the wallet then get some cheap whip antennas for now till you want to upgrade. Don’t go cheap on the amps

I have personally flown many times on the same path and gotten the same results. When i upgraded to sunhans booster on both antenna i got double to two and a half extra range. so im not sure about the idea of it strengthening a faint signal but for a fact it improved range and signal strength quite a bit. on a mavic 2 zoom

I just installed the Alientech Duo II on my Smart Controller. I live in the mountains and struggle with signal. The booster made no difference whatsoever when flying the mini 2. I will try it out on the Mavic Zoom tomorrow but I doubt it will be any different. If anyone has any suggestions I would so appreciate it.

When you have obstacles obstruction there is nothing you can do. If you have buildings, Told tree ect.. The booster does not do anything to help you.

Reactions: tng7576650
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803