DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying a Mavic Air Drone within a Non Flying Zone(NFZ)

theoaristi53

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I know that many people asked this, but please read my issue. I bought my drone yesterday, and today I found out that I can not fly it, as I am like 3 km away from a military airport. I went to dji's flysafe site , and I am asked to upload an authorization letter from that military airport. I mean come on, I have no chances at all to get that. Anyway, I tried that SMS solution with the token. But I don't know where send it, and activate the geo fence? Can you help me in this please? Thankfully, I can fly the drone fine when I am out of the NFZ area, so that's good.

Thanks,
Theo.

Are you in an Authorization Zone (blue) or Restricted Zone (red)? I have a special unlock to fly in a Restricted Zone ... here's what I did:
  1. Become a Part 107 certificated operator. - 2 months
  2. Apply for an airspace use authorization on FAA DroneZone. - up to 3 months
  3. Send authorization to DJI.
  4. Receive unlock. - took me 30 minutes
I have not yet dealt with Authorization Zones ... can someone fill in my gap there?

Are you in an Authorization Zone (blue) or Restricted Zone (red)? I have a special unlock to fly in a Restricted Zone ... here's what I did:
  1. Become a Part 107 certificated operator. - 2 months
  2. Apply for an airspace use authorization on FAA DroneZone. - up to 3 months
  3. Send authorization to DJI.
  4. Receive unlock. - took me 30 minutes
I have not yet dealt with Authorization Zones ... can someone fill in my gap there?

Hello cyeung,

I don't know what you mean with Part 107 certificated operator. I am flying the drone in Europe(Greece) and probably the rules over here are different.

@theoaristi53: In the US, being a "Part 107 certificated operator" means that you are a commercial operator. Usually, that requires additional training and passing a test.

Hi Cyeung,

Many drone laws are similar across the world, and sorry to say that there is probably not much of a chance for you to be able to get approval as an individual to fly that close to the base. But are there any more ‘official’ ways you may be able to fly, like a flying club, school or organization you can get involved with?

Hope you find a good solution. Take care!

Hello everyone,

I was turned on to your site by Russ from 51 drones. Just joined.
I've been flying now for a Year and half with my mavic. About a week ago I went to fly my bird in my yard and I had no problems ,this past week I went to my yard and attempted to fly and it came up as NFZ. RESTRICTED AREA (red) . I DO Have LaGuardia airport near me but it is 7 miles away. I understand it to be with in 5 miles of airports. Is it the 5 miles or greeter now ? Please help.
Thx

Reactions: HansSonne
@theoaristi53: In the US, being a "Part 107 certificated operator" means that you are a commercial operator. Usually, that requires additional training and passing a test.

Are you talking about UAS 107 Pilot A certification which applies to Mavic Air? Did it took you 2 months to complete? How about the exam? Was it a practical test or multiple choice questions?

Are you talking about UAS 107 Pilot A certification which applies to Mavic Air? Did it took you 2 months to complete? How about the exam? Was it a practical test or multiple choice questions?
I am not sure what you mean by a "UAS 107 Pilot A certification," but it is valid for any drone weighing 0.25 kg to 25 kg. The test was multiple choice.

Hello everyone,

I was turned on to your site by Russ from 51 drones. Just joined.
I've been flying now for a Year and half with my mavic. About a week ago I went to fly my bird in my yard and I had no problems ,this past week I went to my yard and attempted to fly and it came up as NFZ. RESTRICTED AREA (red) . I DO Have LaGuardia airport near me but it is 7 miles away. I understand it to be with in 5 miles of airports. Is it the 5 miles or greeter now ? Please help.
Thx
You are class B airspace in the NY Terminal Control Area.
It is controlled from the ground up.

You are class B airspace in the NY Terminal Control Area.
It is controlled from the ground up.
Thank you for your prompt response. How can I go about disabling this so I can fly? Can I go to DJI and have this lifted or do I have to reach out to the ATC? Please advise. Thanks to all. Just joined the club last night and like what I’m seeing.

DJI doesn't have the authority to allow you to fly in Class B.
That's an FAA thing, so you have to get approval from them.

Reactions: Carb63
Transponder and radio needed... sorry OP.

You don't "need" that unless you are a manned aircraft, in which case you would also need a clearance.

What you need is FAA approval, and that is done by contacting them.

DJI doesn't have the authority to allow you to fly in Class B.
That's an FAA thing, so you have to get approval from them.
Thanks. So quick question, a little confused with a warning that comes up on my screen asking me to put in a valid DJI ACCT to authorize to fly ? I get the FAA approval.

I cannot answer that. I am a retired airline pilot, and extremely familiar with airspace.
I am also a 107 operator of a Mavic.
I have no issues with getting FAA approval and operating my drone legally.
I am totally ignorant of the peripheral industries and apps that have infiltrated this, because I don't need them.

You don't "need" that unless you are a manned aircraft, in which case you would also need a clearance.

What you need is FAA approval, and that is done by contacting them.

Actually, you need LAANC clearance if it’s a listed airport on that system. Don’t call FAA, use the AIRMAP app to get it. But OP will probably need to monitor the airport’s CTAF/Unicom frequency and have a way for ATC to contact him too. I have to do it with our local airport as well.

Reactions: Carb63
The New York Terminal Control Area does not use Unicom or CTAF.
It is one of the busiest areas in the world.

The New York Terminal Control Area does not use Unicom or CTAF.
It is one of the busiest areas in the world.

I meant in Class D- isnt that Class B? I imagine that one would need to use and monitor approach control frequencies after getting direct approval from ATC immediately prior to entering the airspace.

I fly within Gatwick's NFZ, applied for license after getting the OK from Gatwick Airport Ltd, just attached email to the application to DJI, license back in minutes. The only pain is that you have to be in the authorised area to activate the license and it seems I have to that on each visit to the site. The other pain is that I seem to have to use my iPhone as screen because my Crystal Sky doesn't show that option.

I might have a solution for nfz, but I need someone to test it with me. You must have litchi installed. Pm me so we can test this out. I won't be able to fully test until Friday.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid