DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying a mini in Australia - registration required?

scro

Reactions
Can anyone who is knowledgeable on current Australian drone rule help here? I've had a good read thru the CASA website and can't find any mention of needing to register or take a test for legally being allowed to fly a sub 250g drone. Presumably there isn't any such requirement then?

Also, there's a disappointingly ambiguous rule that states you're not allowed to fly in "populous areas". The definition provided for a "populous area" is suitably wooly and uses phrases like "anywhere people are living" or "gathered for a purpose". The same definition then goes on to mention events/busy roads/crowded beaches, which is a bit different to "anywhere people are living". How is this generally interpreted? No flying in towns/suburbs/parks/campsites/beaches/etc point blank? Or is there a more liberal interpretation like, find a quieter end of the beach/park to fly, don't fly directly over/close to houses, don't fly near organised events and public gatherings etc (ie fly sensibly)?

I may be spending a few weeks in Australia and am contemplating taking my drone (Mavic Mini).

There are no current recreational drone registration or licensing requirements in Australia.
It’s certainly being proposed,
Dates have been given, then delayed due to Covid (and most likely understaffing / budget issues / other priorities).
I think eventually, at least initially, sub 250g will be except.

Reactions: 4006448 and scro
Oh, and yes our drone rules seen to be changing mildly from time to time to make them ‘fuzzy’.
Probably to allow for sensible flight, and give careless pilots enough rope to hang themselves if CASA get annoyed by you for some reason, or reported.
All the current info can be found through this page.

I’ll fly over busy roads if needed, like crossing it on foot, looking for a safe time.
That’s really quite rarely needed for my flights, and most people shooting scenery in more quiet locations.
I don’t fly suburbs, but again at height and moving I wouldn’t hesitate to fly over quiet burbs on the way somewhere.
Again it’s be rare, keeping in mind how close something is and be able to stay with VLOS.
Basically yeah, don’t put any person at risk in the air or on the ground, don’t annoy pi.. people off, and you should be fine.
It’s a big place and always somewhere safe to fly.
The apps we have are great, find a couple and download.
I use opensky and airmap.

Thanks for the responses @MAvic_South_Oz Think you may have just persuaded me to bring it. I'm sure there'll be a few opportune moments for sensible flying and some nice scenery to get some shots of.

Reactions: mereflyer
Thanks for the responses @MAvic_South_Oz Think you may have just persuaded me to bring it. I'm sure there'll be a few opportune moments for sensible flying and some nice scenery to get some shots of.
Oh yeah bring it you’ll have many opportunities to fly it here.
Be aware metropolitan councils usually have a no drone / other model ban from use ‘on’ their property, but again with careful day / time of day use it’s not terribly enforced by most council folk.
Beaches early morning, some states National Parks are ok to fly, masses of regional areas are just so sparse.
Where are you visiting if you do come over ?

Oh yeah bring it you’ll have many opportunities to fly it here.
Be aware metropolitan councils usually have a no drone / other model ban from use ‘on’ their property, but again with careful day / time of day use it’s not terribly enforced by most council folk.
Beaches early morning, some states National Parks are ok to fly, masses of regional areas are just so sparse.
Where are you visiting if you do come over ?
I'll be in Brisbane primarily, but hope to travel around the nearby area too a bit. While a few flights along the river and around kangaroo point would be incredible I've basically dismissed that dream. I'd be happy with a few scenic flights along beaches and the like, further away from the clutter of hazards, no fly zones etc that cities have.

I’m in ‘Brisvegas’ now and visit here pretty regularly.
Queensland state is great, you can fly in National Parks up here under CASA rules.
Lol, if it ever stops raining, I might get the drone up during my 3 week stay !!
Half way through now and it fined up a little today, just started showering again 😕
Very unusual to have such consistent falls.
I’m sure you’ll get some quality air time in any case.

What's the deal with sub 250g drones and 5.5km exclusion zones around airports? The rules seem to imply the exclusion zone doesn't apply in this case, although there is still the expectation all drones will give way to/keep clear of manned aircraft.

I'll be in Brisbane primarily, but hope to travel around the nearby area too a bit. While a few flights along the river and around kangaroo point would be incredible I've basically dismissed that dream. I'd be happy with a few scenic flights along beaches and the like, further away from the clutter of hazards, no fly zones etc that cities have.
Definitely bring it. There are heaps of of diverse and scenic locations within an hour's drive of Brisbane. I use OpenSky app to ensure compliance with any NFZ. Enjoy your trip and capture some great memories.

Reactions: scro
you should be fine to fly along the river and Kangaroo Point Cliffs.
CASA are very vague about the populous areas, but be sensible, keep line of sight, dont fly over crowds of people or traffic.
Sub 250g means you are pretty free to fly in most areas.
Bear in mind that Heli's may operate near the city and Kangaroo Point. Ensure you land immediately if one comes along.
Beaches can be an issue due to people just not liking drones, but this time of year you are not going to find crowded beaches, so again, you should be ok. Just be sensible and keep it close
Basically, Queensland is a great place to fly.

Enjoy your stay :)

you should be fine to fly along the river and Kangaroo Point Cliffs.
CASA are very vague about the populous areas, but be sensible, keep line of sight, dont fly over crowds of people or traffic.
Sub 250g means you are pretty free to fly in most areas.
Bear in mind that Heli's may operate near the city and Kangaroo Point. Ensure you land immediately if one comes along.
Beaches can be an issue due to people just not liking drones, but this time of year you are not going to find crowded beaches, so again, you should be ok. Just be sensible and keep it close
Basically, Queensland is a great place to fly.

Enjoy your stay :)
This is good to hear. Maybe I'm being a bit too pessimistic about where I can fly 🤔

Am looking forward to visiting again, and hopefully getting a few good flights in too 😊

250 g RPA and recreational (not commercial) use of drone is an exempt category according to CASA.
There are few apps authorised by CASA to check Fly/Nofly zones when you're planning, e.g. Ok2Fly, OpenSky...
Be aware that flying in National Parks in Australia require a permission of the park's admin. The authority will provide you with certain application form(s), taking time and may incur a fee.
Beware of ranges in the park if you're flying without permit.
Taking off of the council land also require the Council permission. This is mostly applicable to big cities where everything is regulated:-(

Be aware that flying in National Parks in Australia require a permission of the park's admin. The authority will provide you with certain application form(s), taking time and may incur a fee.
Beware of ranges in the park if you're flying without permit.
Taking off of the council land also require the Council permission. This is mostly applicable to big cities where everything is regulated:-(
National Parks drone rules in each state vary wildly, from no restrictions or permits at all (QLD & WA), to those reasonably easy to get a free permit (NSW & NT) to those it’s almost simply impossible to get permission (the rest).

Yes, many councils Australia wide have a no model aircraft rule in parks under their authority.
Flights mid week, early morning, usually no problems if done quietly / quickly using common sense.
Don’t fly when busy with people picnicking, events, dog walkers, obviously when no major park maintenance is being done.
Not my usual type of place to fly, but never an issue in 5 years at several locations in various states for testing or short scenic flights.

Can anyone who is knowledgeable on current Australian drone rule help here? I've had a good read thru the CASA website and can't find any mention of needing to register or take a test for legally being allowed to fly a sub 250g drone. Presumably there isn't any such requirement then?

Also, there's a disappointingly ambiguous rule that states you're not allowed to fly in "populous areas". The definition provided for a "populous area" is suitably wooly and uses phrases like "anywhere people are living" or "gathered for a purpose". The same definition then goes on to mention events/busy roads/crowded beaches, which is a bit different to "anywhere people are living". How is this generally interpreted? No flying in towns/suburbs/parks/campsites/beaches/etc point blank? Or is there a more liberal interpretation like, find a quieter end of the beach/park to fly, don't fly directly over/close to houses, don't fly near organised events and public gatherings etc (ie fly sensibly)?

I may be spending a few weeks in Australia and am contemplating taking my drone (Mavic Mini).
No registration needed up to 2kg. Maybe in the next few months but not as of now.

You can fly in suburban council parks, footy ovals etc but not over buildings or vehicles in motion. You cant fly from parks Victoria and but you can fly overt. Depends on the state you are visiting. Some have strict rules (ie the state of Victoria, others are much .ore open. Go to the Austrslian dronemade website for more Info. Heads up, you may find info on council website sites that may be totally incorrect.

For most places Aussies aren't bothered by drones as long as you are respectful of peoples private space. If a beach is crowded, walk to an end which is quiet and fly just off shore. National Park rules depend on the state. Some OK some not. For the nots, take off from an area outside the park and fly high but not more than 400ft or less than tallest tree height. Again, respect others and dont fly in busy areas. The rules are many and varied but in general, use common sense and you will find lots of great places to fly and have no issues. If coming to Victoria, visit the Victorian drone fliers Facebook group for Info on flying spots.

For most places Aussies aren't bothered by drones as long as you are respectful of peoples private space. If a beach is crowded, walk to an end which is quiet and fly just off shore. National Park rules depend on the state. Some OK some not. For the nots, take off from an area outside the park and fly high but not more than 400ft or less than tallest tree height. Again, respect others and dont fly in busy areas. The rules are many and varied but in general, use common sense and you will find lots of great places to fly and have no issues. If coming to Victoria, visit the Victorian drone fliers Facebook group for Info on flying spots.
I wish it would be true.
Australia is a heavily regulated country for flying drones in big cities were all the attraction exists.
You can fly in a rural area though but still be aware to have a permission from National parks, live stocks owner, land owner etc.
There are some shift to easy it in Canberra, Perth and Brisbane but it's rudimental for the rest of the country.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jridout