DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying a nice smooth curve ??

bjhirsch

Reactions
hello;

the mini is my first drone and I really enjoy the experience. Bought it mostly for photo usage but now getting more into short videos than initially planned.
One thing I struggle with (after just some flights under my belt) is the best way to fly a nice & smooth curve with controlled radius & forward speed .
Even in cine mode I start okay .. but it is very difficult to keep a proper ration of forward speed and angle of the curve .. it mostly end up flying too much into the curve or too much forward ...

Any idea (other than keep trying it will come overtime) how to train or support flying a controled curve with enough forward momentum ?

Thanks to all , learning a lot buy just reading here :)

Bjoern

hello;

the mini is my first drone and I really enjoy the experience. Bought it mostly for photo usage but now getting more into short videos than initially planned.
One thing I struggle with (after just some flights under my belt) is the best way to fly a nice & smooth curve with controlled radius & forward speed .
Even in cine mode I start okay .. but it is very difficult to keep a proper ration of forward speed and angle of the curve .. it mostly end up flying too much into the curve or too much forward ...

Any idea (other than keep trying it will come overtime) how to train or support flying a controled curve with enough forward momentum ?

Thanks to all , learning a lot buy just reading here :)

Bjoern
Hi,
I'm a novice too with the same issue. However after inputs from experiance pilots on this forum and you tube, I have settled ona system that has speeded up my learning curve on this manoeuvre.
I imagine myself to be in the cockpit of the Mini and treat the yaw and pitch controls like a steering wheel. Of course this causes me to sway this way and that unconsciously. Must be quite a sight. But i can do a pretty smooth curve most of the time on cinematic mode only.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
If the weather is good I'll just fire up the drone in the back garden and practice circling a tree in different directions. Add complexity like a slow altitude increase or backwards motion while still circling. Then add in some gimble control.

Practice.. just take several attempts while you're out filming, if you need to.

Reactions: pelagic_one
Nobody's mentioned Cinena mode. Have you tried that? It's one of the autonomous features on the controller menu, after the selfies. It slows down the control response, makes it easier to fly smoother and slower. It also slows down the 'braking' action so be careful. It works pretty well, doesn't make the 249 gram lightweight into a Mavic 2, but helps get smoother videos...

Reactions: CareyL
Consider swapping out the control sticks for sticks that can be extended like the polar pro sticks... these are getting harder to find but work with the Mavic mini RC. Give you finer control with movements.
1580974216620.jpeg

Reactions: pelagic_one
wow that is a great tip , thank you !!!!

Reactions: Mrveronn
To make smooth moves with the drone, you actually need two things: Good weather and time so you can practice, practice, practice...

Living in France & in the winter I have 2) but not 1) yet ... fingers crossed for the spring to come :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom