DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying areas in North County San Diego

If you don't mind a drive, the I highly recommend Mt. Laguna and Anza Borrego :)

Awesome video. I can't wait to get my drone. I was just out in the Anza Borrego area last weekend (BLM Shooting area).

I'm a new Mavic Pro owner (early December) and am loving it. I've practice-flown near where I live - Carmel Valley - and probably violated some rules on locations, so it's great to find this thread. I recently got back from Kauai, where I really had a lot of fun flying/taking photos and video, but probably violated some rules there, too. It looks like I have to start being proactive and following Joeglennaz's recommendations.
Anyway, I'd love to meet people around here to fly with, and maybe even learn from!

Not many know this.. I was out shooting a couple weeks ago and saw a 3DR Solo and a Parrott bebop2 flying out there. Lol

Personally I think it's a BS restriction. Out in the middle of the desert has got to be the safest places in the world to fly. :rolleyes:

Personally I think it's a BS restriction. Out in the middle of the desert has got to be the safest places in the world to fly. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with you, but we still need to protect the rare and endangered spotted leopard toad or some such creature that is yet to be discovered.

its not about it being Anza Borrega, or anything else specifically. Its just that its a state park rule. State parks dont allow drones. Whether its the middle of the desert Borrega, or any of the highly populated state parks along the coast. Its just a general rule. But out there, I doubt anyone would really notice, not that im advocating anything.. BUUTTT I fly near Palomar and Whitehead trail a lot, as long as im not being annoying or with a lot of people around, no one generally cares.

I'm down in South Bay/Imperial Beach. Lots of restrictions with the military bases. My research said there was a sliver in the Silver Strand State Beach (SSSB) that was between NAS North Island and Ream Field IB (plus the new SEAL Base has a lot of Helo traffic but isn't a real heliport). I got in a lot of good flights before the ranger at SSSB told me I couldn't fly there, was very cordial and professional, said the Snowy Plover was the main reason and said all beach state parks had restrictions... I reached out to the State Park System and they confirmed restrictions at SSSB, each park can make their own restrictions that pertain to their environment... They are just catching up to the new "drone" influx and are slow getting the word out.

You North County pilots have a lot more options than down here.
Have any of you used this resource (zoom in to SD)? Gives me a lot of options if I stay low (<50/100 ft), many a cool shot to be had on the bay!

ArcGIS Web Application

Fly Smart, Fly Safe!

I'm down in South Bay/Imperial Beach. Lots of restrictions with the military bases. My research said there was a sliver in the Silver Strand State Beach (SSSB) that was between NAS North Island and Ream Field IB (plus the new SEAL Base has a lot of Helo traffic but isn't a real heliport). I got in a lot of good flights before the ranger at SSSB told me I couldn't fly there, was very cordial and professional, said the Snowy Plover was the main reason and said all beach state parks had restrictions... I reached out to the State Park System and they confirmed restrictions at SSSB, each park can make their own restrictions that pertain to their environment... They are just catching up to the new "drone" influx and are slow getting the word out.

Have any of you used this resource (zoom in to SD)? Gives me a lot of options if I stay low (<50/100 ft), many a cool shot to be had on the bay!

ArcGIS Web Application

Fly Smart, Fly Safe!

Ya North County can be pretty desolate. That stretch between Escondido and Temecula on the 15 is just wide open flying areas. The 5 going towards OC is a lot more congested, but other than Palomar and few other small NFZ's, theres not much in the way of flying.

I have flown around OB, it was a warning area for the airport, but I didnt violate any restrictions as long as I stayed pretty much right in OB.

Awesome video. I can't wait to get my drone. I was just out in the Anza Borrego area last weekend (BLM Shooting area).
Can you please recommend a (legal) droning area in the vicinity of Borrego Springs, outside of the state park? I'm not a pilot, but I'm trying to plan a surprise trip for a friend who is, and I don't want him to get into trouble while shooting? Thanks in advance! Felicity

its not about it being Anza Borrega, or anything else specifically. Its just that its a state park rule. State parks dont allow drones. Whether its the middle of the desert Borrega, or any of the highly populated state parks along the coast. Its just a general rule. But out there, I doubt anyone would really notice, not that im advocating anything.. BUUTTT I fly near Palomar and Whitehead trail a lot, as long as im not being annoying or with a lot of people around, no one generally cares.
Can you please recommend a (legal) droning area in the vicinity of Borrego Springs, outside of the state park? I'm not a pilot, but I'm trying to plan a surprise trip for a friend who is, and I don't want him to get into trouble while shooting. Thanks in advance! Felicity

ArcGIS Web Application

Fly Smart, Fly Safe!
What a great resource! I live in La Costa so lots of places to fly based on the app. Thanks

Hi I am new to flying, you still in Vista? I live in Vista and an looking for some places to fly with out people giving me trouble.

So, is there no drone flying within Carlsbad really? I use the B4UFLY app from the FAA and it says to notify the airport when you do, but overall it does not seem to be prohibited? I am right in the triangle where Oceanside, Vista, and Carlsbad meet (near Cannon and Shadowridge).
Hi, did you find any good places to fly, i live in vista, and am looking for a park or place to fly with out getting in trouble.

Hi, did you find any good places to fly, i live in vista, and am looking for a park or place to fly with out getting in trouble.
I'm also in the Vista area and struggling with the same thing. There's a biweekly meetup at a park in Escondido if you're interested. Kit Carson Park South.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98