DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying around Piqua, Ohio USA

PhoenixBird

Reactions
Hello folks- flew this past weekend around the beautiful western Ohio town of Piqua. First time flying over the river water. It was gusty and windy conditions but the MA was rock steady. Cut the video on the plane ride home using the DJI editor. Trying to stay smooth and steady; critiques appreciated.

Sir, your video was very nice! I've lived in Piqua my whole life and was surprised to see this on the forum! Are you from here also? Maybe we can meet up! I see that you was using a Mavic Air and I do have one question for you. How in the world were you able to fly downtown at the river? dji has always blocked me before with its self-imposed NFZ because of its proximity to a nuclear plant, which in fact is not even close by. If you could answer that, I would be so grateful!! Hope to meet you!

Reactions: bassnbeau
Sir, your video was very nice! I've lived in Piqua my whole life and was surprised to see this on the forum! Are you from here also? Maybe we can meet up! I see that you was using a Mavic Air and I do have one question for you. How in the world were you able to fly downtown at the river? dji has always blocked me before with its self-imposed NFZ because of its proximity to a nuclear plant, which in fact is not even close by. If you could answer that, I would be so grateful!! Hope to meet you!

Hello! What a nice surprise to hear from another Piqua resident. I grew up there down on east Greene by the old Aerovent plant, but live out near Phoenix now. We were back visiting and of course I wanted to fly and film a bit around my home town.
That’s interesting dji blocks you. I flew by the Rivers Edge Trail near the power plant, right where that old nuke plant used to be. Checked AirMap and no restrictions; and dji Go4 let me launch with no problems. Also flew near the Lock 9 Park on Water and Spring and again on the Levy near the north end of Spring. And again out by the Hollow. It was gusty winds but the MA handled it well. You have some nice shots on your feed by the way. Looks like we are about the same age so we may have crossed paths sometime.

That's cool! I grew up on Sunset Drive in an old farmhouse right by the car wash that was in front of the original Grissom's grocery store. I'm only about a year younger than you!

I don't understand because I just went downtown to Lock 9 park and tried to take off on my original Mavic Pro. Wouldn't even let the motors come on. Problem is, the NFZ was designated for the old nuclear power plant, but I can fly down there all around with no issue. I tried to let DJI know that their NFZ is off about 3/4-1 mile, to no avail.

It really bothers me because I work for the City of Piqua, plus I'm the only city employee with a Part 107 certification. We are getting ready later this summer to really tear out Lock 9 park and put in a really nice amphitheater and park. And I need to document the progress of such.

May I ask what firmware you are running on your Mavic Air? This is really strange to me. Thanks!!

That’s very strange. Especially since we both are cleared to fly near the old plant. At Lock 9, I parked in the lot, then walked over the levy and launched from a little flat spot about 6’ or so down. I was more towards the east end of the lot. I’ll have to check the firmware tonight; but it’s the latest one. I’m using the stock controller and an iPad mini 4.

Well, great news! I started looking at my drone’s firmware and noticed that I had never updated the Precise Fly Safe database. I did that intentionally because I was afraid of getting more restrictions. But, thanks to you, I actually saw a video of Lock Nine and saw it was possible. Thank you!!

Next time you’re in town, let me know. I graduated from class of 77, you had to be either76 or 75, if I had to guess. :)

That’s good news! I’ll be back fall of 2020. Class of ‘75 from Lehman; went to St. Boniface for elementary school.
I’m a city employee to for Phoenix. We are working on a drone policy here; so I haven’t flown for the city yet. Glad to see that update worked- happy flying!

I graduated from the Class of '77, Piqua Central. I know quite a few people from Lehman. Our kids went to Lehman and I was a JV Baseball coacher 9 years and a JV Golf coach for 7 years. Small world!

It took me just a little over 1 year to get our Drone program going. The biggest obstacle was the insurance and liability issues that we had to work through with the City Law Director, in addition to educating her and demonstrating that I knew the law, of which the Part 107 certification helped tremendously. I had my Part 107 for over a year before the City Drone program went live.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB