DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Mavic 3 tele meets Denali Sunset - a 40shot panorama

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I went out for a day of shooting, leaving my home in North Pole Alaska to head south. I left around 8 am in pitch black and the first sunrise shots began an hour later around 9AM. The sun came up somewhere in "the flats" around 10:30 AM but in the mountains the sunrise depends on what's between you and the sun. I traveled for 200mi south past Nenana Alaska and Denali Nat'l Park taking pictures and video with my Mavic 3. I brought my Mini 3 Pro and Avata but never used them. I was travelling down the Parks hwy. I forget what number that Hwy is. We have, I think, 5 highways and sometimes you'll see comments about Hwy 1 or 3 and then you know it's somebody from Outside because most Alaskans I know have NO idea what the number is for the hwy they are on. But I digress. I headed south and got some shots of a beautiful sunrise (to be posted soon but there are several of them to work up) and video shorts of the steaming Nenana River. I shoot 5 shots AEB as a matter of course. I wonder what % of folks do that. Pretty high I'd guess. I forgot to mention. It was -32F or something close - at least at one point. I think it was more like -20 to 25 most of the day. I grabbed a shot of the temp shown in my car mirror. That will tell the truth. I had a fun day of shooting. Driving south past Denali Nat'l Park I took video and stills of interesting images (some to be posted soon) but was really struck by this panorama. It is comprised of 40 images, 8 AEB shots of 5 varying exposures (wish I could control the exp...) with the tele lens on my Mavic 3. I finished the day and turned around 20min or so into Broad Pass south of Cantwell. Upon the return, about 5miles south of Nenana (where the hills begin and cell phone service is lost) I glimpsed in my mirror a great sunset and pulled over immediately. There was just enough shoulder for my car but not much more than just enough, but traffic was very light. I'd guess that in the 200mi trip south I encountered 20 cars? Maybe not quite that many. Hardly anyone out. Not even too many truckers. So I see a great sunset in my rear view mirror and stop and throw up the drone. I had been using my 12.9" iPad but sunsets travel fast so I connected my iPhone to my controller (faster than the iPad setup I use) and tossed the Mavic 3 up. DJI has no auto panorama function when using the tele lens so I shot 5 images moving my camera view from right to left, then pointed it down and shot from left to right. I use the DJI tic tac toe overlay to overlap a 1/3 of the image for each subsequent shot and it's easy to be quite accurate using that overlay. More on that momentarily. Each 5 shot AEB is processed through Aurora HDR which I use as a plugin for Lightroom. It also is a stand alone program. So that's some of the tech stuff. As for the image...how about those the lenticulars!? I mean...it's a nice image regardless but those lenticular clouds! You can see how blown out they are by how elongated the clouds are by the high wind. It was blowing 20+mph much of the day but it varied greatly with high winds in some places ( A LOT of notices on my drone screen; things like "High Wind Warning. You'll never make it back, sucker". I think that's what was often on the screen :). Winds aloft was pretty high, so we got these fabulous lenticular clouds (somebody correct me if I'm wrong there) over Denali and the adjacent mountain..which is named...?? We still have blue in the sky too! And look at the blocky texture to the horizon, particularly on the right third of the horizon. That's not a lens failing or anything. It's atmospheric distortion and it's really exciting to see. It doesn't last long and I was quite nervous to get the Mavic 3 up quickly when I saw how far the sunset had gone. I didn't even have time to berate myself for not keeping an eye out. As to the composition of the photo, I don't normally put a subject in the middle of a frame, nor allow the horizon to be on or even near the center of the frame but I like this as it is. This image is the totality of the 40 images and I don't want to crop anything out. Since anyone reading this far is a geek, I'm going to include a shot of the preview screen before cropping the panorama and exporting it. It is a Lightroom screen grab. n the second shot below you can see the white edges where I did not hold the camera perfectly steady horizontally as I panned to manually shoot the pano but for me that wasn't too bad. You can see that not much was lost :) which happens if you don't move the camera laterally with precision when panning for the pano. Panning for the pano. Hah :). Back to the discussion of the image, it's tempting to crop half of the dark bottom out and honestly I think compositionally (if that's a word) it makes sense. I think there is too much dark below the horizon and the image would be stronger if I cut some off the bottom but I'm leaving it all in. What do you think? About any of this ? :) I like sunsets and clouds..and Denali...and blues and golds and atmospheric cool stuff...so I'm biased LOL.

Attachments

• DJI_0881-HDR-Pano.jpg
    DJI_0881-HDR-Pano.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 110
  • denali pano preview full screen.png
    denali pano preview full screen.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
What nice images!

Those are definitely lenticular clouds, which is a clear indication of the strong steady wind of a mountain wave. Years ago when I was a student sailplane pilot I flew in a mountain wave like that generated off Mt. San Gregorio in S. Cal which generated lift that pegged my variometer at 1200 ft/min. Turbulence near the ground was horrific. Did the M3 get tossed about in that turbulence!

Are you saying that you stitched you images together in Aurora? I generally do that in Photoshop.

How do you manage to interact with your touchscreen at such low temperatures? I
have tried globe liners that allow touch, but none I have work that well.

Nice shots. I have flown in 0 degrees with my M2P, but -32 is daring! It is a hearty endorsement for DJI.
I liked your comment re: AEB. For memorable shots like yours, I will do AEB. And for wildly dynamic scenes, I will do a five shot burst, then set the exposure to a -2 f stops, then a +2, merge each group, then merge the processed three images.
I am using PhotoDirector, and am wondering if other editors allow batch processing of multiple groups of AEB shots? The images turn out very nice but it is time consuming.

Great sunset pictures under super challenging conditions. You may have the forum record for low temperature flying! How did the 3 perform and comments about battery duration? I assume your vehicle was a warm hanger.
Those lenticular clouds form in California often on the downwind side of the Sierras. Pilots know they are associated with enormous up and down drafts as JoelP described. I once was flying a Bonanza 6000 ft BELOW a lenticular and got into a column of rising air that forced me to idle thrust slow the plane and drop the gear and attempt to descend. Despite all these efforts to descend, I still was ascending at 500 ft per min. I soon met the column of DOWN air which is always nearby.

Last edited:
Great sunset pictures under super challenging conditions. You may have the forum record for low temperature flying! How did the 3 perform and comments about battery duration? I assume your vehicle was a warm hanger.
Those lenticular clouds form in California often on the downwind side of the Sierras. Pilots know they are associated with enormous up and down drafts as JoelP described. I once was flying a Bonanza 6000 ft BELOW a lenticular and got into a column of rising air that forced me to idle thrust slow the plane and drop the gear and attempt to descend. Despite all these efforts to descend, I still was ascending at 500 ft per min. I soon met the column of rising air which is always nearby.
I knew someone who once was able to shut down all engines in a C130 and still climb. The good thing is that if you move toward or away from the mountain there is as much down as up in a mountain wave.

I knew someone who once was able to shut down all engines in a C130 and still climb. The good thing is that if you move toward or away from the mountain there is as much down as up in a mountain wave.
Yes, and that’s the next part of my tale. I quickly ran into the DOWN air, cleaned up the Bonanza and came to near full power and lightly loaded managed only 200-400 ft/min max climb and safely exited the area. My knowledge of what the lenticular clouds represented was greatly enhanced that day. An old commercial came to mind - “It’s not nice to fool Mother Nature!”

What nice images!

Those are definitely lenticular clouds, which is a clear indication of the strong steady wind of a mountain wave. Years ago when I was a student sailplane pilot I flew in a mountain wave like that generated off Mt. San Gregorio in S. Cal which generated lift that pegged my variometer at 1200 ft/min. Turbulence near the ground was horrific. Did the M3 get tossed about in that turbulence!

Are you saying that you stitched you images together in Aurora? I generally do that in Photoshop.

How do you manage to interact with your touchscreen at such low temperatures? I
have tried globe liners that allow touch, but none I have work that well.
Aurora does the HDR part of it. It is MUCH better for HDR than Lightroom providing great control of the image whereas Lightroom just put an HDR together and that's that. LR then puts the pano together. I fly from inside the car which limits things but yeah...sitting outside at -25F in a 20mph wind isn't a thing :). 1200ft/min up ?? I used to be a hang glider pilot and thought 600ft/min was extreme :). The Mav3 handles 20mph wind like it is not even there but you do have to take into account the wind direction for fear of not making it back if you go too far away downwind :).

Those lenticular clouds form in California often on the downwind side of the Sierras. Pilots know they are associated with enormous up and down drafts as JoelP described. I once was flying a Bonanza 6000 ft BELOW a lenticular and got into a column of rising air that forced me to idle thrust slow the plane and drop the gear and attempt to descend. Despite all these efforts to descend, I still was ascending at 500 ft per min. I soon met the column of DOWN air which is always nearby.
Where there is up air...down air isn't too far away.... I am astounded at how little the low temps affect battery life but I have NOT done any comparative test. It's been my experience that I can hardly notice a difference. My batteries are always at a normal temp when I take off and a typical flight in those temps is rarely longer than 15min at the outside as I don't want to push it. When the drone returns I take the battery out regardess of it's charge and put in a new warm battery. The cold battery is allowed to warm up for a while before putting it to the charger. I have two 100watt cigarette lighter chargers in my car and rotate batteries as they are used. I have 5 batteries and can pretty much fly all day since I fly for a bit taking a few pics or video and then drive to the next interesting place and fly a bit all the while the used batteries are charging.

Nice shots. I have flown in 0 degrees with my M2P, but -32 is daring! It is a hearty endorsement for DJI.
I liked your comment re: AEB. For memorable shots like yours, I will do AEB. And for wildly dynamic scenes, I will do a five shot burst, then set the exposure to a -2 f stops, then a +2, merge each group, then merge the processed three images.
I am using PhotoDirector, and am wondering if other editors allow batch processing of multiple groups of AEB shots? The images turn out very nice but it is time consuming.
Aurora HDR allows batching but when complete you have a series of images but if you don't like it you have to open it in LR or PS (photoshop) to work on it. If you do one set of 5 (whatever) when the HDR is done you are in a window where you can then further tweak the exposure, saturation, etc etc so I slog through it that way but it IS time consuming. My recent Phoenix desert trip is stuff I'm still working up since I took over 500GB of video and images. I will be working on that for the next month although I have made a few very short little vids from one or two flights. Very time consuming. Just getting it organized is a task as you know :).

Thank you. Yes, going on a shoot or vacation can be a real project afterward. I appreciate your images.

I went out for a day of shooting, leaving my home in North Pole Alaska to head south. I left around 8 am in pitch black and the first sunrise shots began an hour later around 9AM. The sun came up somewhere in "the flats" around 10:30 AM but in the mountains the sunrise depends on what's between you and the sun. I traveled for 200mi south past Nenana Alaska and Denali Nat'l Park taking pictures and video with my Mavic 3. I brought my Mini 3 Pro and Avata but never used them. I was travelling down the Parks hwy. I forget what number that Hwy is. We have, I think, 5 highways and sometimes you'll see comments about Hwy 1 or 3 and then you know it's somebody from Outside because most Alaskans I know have NO idea what the number is for the hwy they are on. But I digress. I headed south and got some shots of a beautiful sunrise (to be posted soon but there are several of them to work up) and video shorts of the steaming Nenana River. I shoot 5 shots AEB as a matter of course. I wonder what % of folks do that. Pretty high I'd guess. I forgot to mention. It was -32F or something close - at least at one point. I think it was more like -20 to 25 most of the day. I grabbed a shot of the temp shown in my car mirror. That will tell the truth. I had a fun day of shooting. Driving south past Denali Nat'l Park I took video and stills of interesting images (some to be posted soon) but was really struck by this panorama. It is comprised of 40 images, 8 AEB shots of 5 varying exposures (wish I could control the exp...) with the tele lens on my Mavic 3. I finished the day and turned around 20min or so into Broad Pass south of Cantwell. Upon the return, about 5miles south of Nenana (where the hills begin and cell phone service is lost) I glimpsed in my mirror a great sunset and pulled over immediately. There was just enough shoulder for my car but not much more than just enough, but traffic was very light. I'd guess that in the 200mi trip south I encountered 20 cars? Maybe not quite that many. Hardly anyone out. Not even too many truckers. So I see a great sunset in my rear view mirror and stop and throw up the drone. I had been using my 12.9" iPad but sunsets travel fast so I connected my iPhone to my controller (faster than the iPad setup I use) and tossed the Mavic 3 up. DJI has no auto panorama function when using the tele lens so I shot 5 images moving my camera view from right to left, then pointed it down and shot from left to right. I use the DJI tic tac toe overlay to overlap a 1/3 of the image for each subsequent shot and it's easy to be quite accurate using that overlay. More on that momentarily. Each 5 shot AEB is processed through Aurora HDR which I use as a plugin for Lightroom. It also is a stand alone program. So that's some of the tech stuff. As for the image...how about those the lenticulars!? I mean...it's a nice image regardless but those lenticular clouds! You can see how blown out they are by how elongated the clouds are by the high wind. It was blowing 20+mph much of the day but it varied greatly with high winds in some places ( A LOT of notices on my drone screen; things like "High Wind Warning. You'll never make it back, sucker". I think that's what was often on the screen :). Winds aloft was pretty high, so we got these fabulous lenticular clouds (somebody correct me if I'm wrong there) over Denali and the adjacent mountain..which is named...?? We still have blue in the sky too! And look at the blocky texture to the horizon, particularly on the right third of the horizon. That's not a lens failing or anything. It's atmospheric distortion and it's really exciting to see. It doesn't last long and I was quite nervous to get the Mavic 3 up quickly when I saw how far the sunset had gone. I didn't even have time to berate myself for not keeping an eye out. As to the composition of the photo, I don't normally put a subject in the middle of a frame, nor allow the horizon to be on or even near the center of the frame but I like this as it is. This image is the totality of the 40 images and I don't want to crop anything out. Since anyone reading this far is a geek, I'm going to include a shot of the preview screen before cropping the panorama and exporting it. It is a Lightroom screen grab. n the second shot below you can see the white edges where I did not hold the camera perfectly steady horizontally as I panned to manually shoot the pano but for me that wasn't too bad. You can see that not much was lost :) which happens if you don't move the camera laterally with precision when panning for the pano. Panning for the pano. Hah :). Back to the discussion of the image, it's tempting to crop half of the dark bottom out and honestly I think compositionally (if that's a word) it makes sense. I think there is too much dark below the horizon and the image would be stronger if I cut some off the bottom but I'm leaving it all in. What do you think? About any of this ? :) I like sunsets and clouds..and Denali...and blues and golds and atmospheric cool stuff...so I'm biased LOL.
Great explanation of your trip and process. I have flown commercial jobs in -20f with the Mavic Pro and the Mavic 2 Pro so I can understand what you had to deal with. Nice photos.

It was cold in spots but like I tried to say, most of the flying was probably at -20F to 25 but it was admittedly pretty windy. One of the issues is landing. When there is a lot of snow I don't really love landing in it and blowing snow all around so I typically land on the hood of my pickup truck. It does get a little dicey in 20mph blustery wind since I find I need to use Sport mode with no avoidance and it's touchy. But it works.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOM112