DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Flying At Hydroelectric power plant in Lake Lynn, Pennsylvania!

Interesting. I've been wary of flying near any critical infrastructure like a power plant, for fear of law enforcement etc. You didn't have any hassles?

My concern would have been with potential electrical magnetic interference from the concentration of high voltage electrical wires in the area and possible done control issues.

My concern would have been with potential electrical magnetic interference from the concentration of high voltage electrical wires in the area and possible done control issues.
The Mavic mini has a wifi remote and everything worked fine. I know that this video was illegal but at the time I was not aware of that.

The Mavic mini has a wifi remote and everything worked fine. I know that this video was illegal but at the time I was not aware of that.
How was it illegal? FAA restriction?
Is anyone aware of any restrictions on flying around infrastructure like power plants? I'm not, but I'm no expert either.
Frankly, I think such videos are pretty interesting. I'd like to try such flying, but want to learn from the experiences of others too, especially in such curious times like we have now, such as stuff in Ukraine...

How was it illegal? FAA restriction?
Is anyone aware of any restrictions on flying around infrastructure like power plants? I'm not, but I'm no expert either.
Frankly, I think such videos are pretty interesting. I'd like to try such flying, but want to learn from the experiences of others too, especially in such curious times like we have now, such as stuff in Ukraine...
I’m really worried that I could get reported for flying around critical infrastructure and after doing a little bit of research I found that out.

As for legality, where did you get you illegal information? It would be wise to check the B4UFly app before every flight.

I don’t really understand the critical infrastructure thing. Is it mean not to fly near government property? Even if your not b4ufly and the faa map of no drone zones still says it’s good to fly there.
Seems there's a federal agency (surprise, surprise) with responsibility for critical infrastructure. Critical Infrastructure Sectors | CISA They have a link to policy on drones, which is essentially what the FAA says, and suggests b4ufly! So it looks like the bigger concern should be private property issues etc?

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot
Seems there's a federal agency (surprise, surprise) with responsibility for critical infrastructure. Critical Infrastructure Sectors | CISA They have a link to policy on drones, which is essentially what the FAA says, and suggests b4ufly! So it looks like the bigger concern should be private property issues etc?
Ok, thanks for the help! :)

I don’t really understand the critical infrastructure thing. Is it mean not to fly near government property? Even if your not b4ufly and the faa map of no drone zones still says it’s good to fly there.
So, it's good to fly there. Does that mean it's wise to fly there? B4UFly doesn't give wisdom information--just rules. Operators of critical infrastructure need to be vigilant. You can search internet for FAA critical infrastructure advisories.

So, it's good to fly there. Does that mean it's wise to fly there? B4UFly doesn't give wisdom information--just rules. Operators of critical infrastructure need to be vigilant. You can search internet for FAA critical infrastructure advisories.
Thanks. :)

If you look on the FAA website, there is a restriction on Critical Infrastructures, however it is not all black and white. There are specific Critical Infrastructures that you cannot fly near. Some dams are restricted, others are not. Some power stations are, but the one near your house may not be. As with all UAS rules, check the FAA list on their site so you don't get in trouble.

If you look on the FAA website, there is a restriction on Critical Infrastructures, however it is not all black and white. There are specific Critical Infrastructures that you cannot fly near. Some dams are restricted, others are not. Some power stations are, but the one near your house may not be. As with all UAS rules, check the FAA list on their site so you don't get in trouble.
The FAA website does not have a list of locations.. It just mentions and gives examples of critical infrastructure, then just refers you to the database which has the same info as their app B4UFLY.

You mention power stations and dams. Can you give me examples of either that have flight restrictions? (not just due to their proximity to an airport...) I could not find any!

The FAA website does not have a list of locations.. It just mentions and gives examples of critical infrastructure, then just refers you to the database which has the same info as their app B4UFLY.

You mention power stations and dams. Can you give me examples of either that have flight restrictions? (not just due to their proximity to an airport...) I could not find any!
I believe you are correct. FAA gave some examples with links to more information and also a reference that B4UFly provides real-time information about flight restrictions. Any critical infrastructure restrictions would then be on B4UFly.
I check the nuclear power plant in Limerick, PA and there is no flight restriction.

I believe you are correct. FAA gave some examples with links to more information and also a reference that B4UFly provides real-time information about flight restrictions. Any critical infrastructure restrictions would then be on B4UFly.
I check the nuclear power plant in Limerick, PA and there is no flight restriction.
I could not find anything on this power plant that would make it seem illegal to fly there. I’m most confused about how the faa determines what is and Ian critical infrastructure.

Double checked with a friend on the FAST team.

You can find all of those on the ArcGIS page. If it's not listed there, it's not Critical Infrastructure from the air.
There is also a Critical Infrastructure list for ground stuff, but that doesn't include airspace.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=9c2e4406710048e19806ebf6a06754ad

Make sure the "National Security UAS Flight Restrictions" box is checked i the layers tab.

National Security UAS Flight Restrictions

PS: The list I mentioned was something I saw last year. I looked and it is no longer there. But those locations are now found on arcgis.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imMike507