DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at Lake Mead

bartbedsole

Reactions
I'm sorry if this has been asked numerous times before, but I didn't find any recent Q&A about it. I'm a Part 107 pilot who works for a TV station, and we are working on an in-depth story about the drought, water supply, Colorado River, etc. I will be in Las Vegas for unrelated business next month, and I was thinking about heading out to Lake Mead for a quick flight to give us some footage. YES I KNOW that national recreation areas are off limits for drones, but the NPS also makes it clear that they only control what you do on their land or water. I've dodged that before at Blue Mesa Reservoir and didn't have a problem. I see in the following article Drone Flying in Las Vegas: What You Need to Know | Feeling Vegas that there appears to be a safe launching site, and I also see that spot identified on Airmap, which leads me to think that it's ok to launch from that spot and fly over the lake. But I'm curious to find out of people actually do that? Does anyone ever get hassled while flying, or after the fact? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Below is the Superintendent's Compendium section on sUAS operations at Lake Mead. It clearly is legal to fly at that designated location, but flying from that location out over the lake is a different matter.

Firstly, the lake is 1 km from the field, and so it's very dubious that you could reasonably claim VLOS. While plenty of recreational pilots stretch that rule to extreme lengths, I would definitely not recommend it in your job.

Secondly - while NPS doesn't have jurisdiction over the airspace, you would be flying from their field, and one of their conditions is that the flight is restricted to the boundaries of the RCMA field. Would that stand up in court? Hard to say, but not something I would want to test.

Other options - you could probably get some good aerial views of the lake from 400 ft above the field, but maybe that's not really what you are looking for. Alternatively, you can get authorization to fly from the superintendent, and working for an accredited TV station that may be something that they would be willing to consider.

§1.5(a)(1) Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) Use

Definition:
The term “unmanned aircraft” means a device that is used or intended to be used for flight in the air without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the device, and the associated operational elements and components that are required for the pilot or system operator in command to operate or control the device (such as cameras, sensors, communication links). This term includes all types of devices that meet this definition (e.g. model airplanes, quadcopters, drones) that are used for any purpose, including for recreation or commerce.​
Closure:
The launching, landing or operating of an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Lake Mead National Recreation Area is prohibited except as approved in writing by the Superintendent.​
Exemption:
Since 1992, a historical establishment of the use of model aircrafts (aka Radio Controlled Model Aircrafts (RCMA)) was authorized at Lake Mead National Recreation Area. Only the use of RCMA at the designated area will continue to be allowed. The designated area is signed as “Radio Control Model Aircraft Field” and is located on the Frontage Road approximately .60 miles from Hemenway Drive in the Boulder Beach area. The radio control model aircraft field is approximately .36 square miles. This area is used by hobbyist and recreational users. All flights will be below 400 feet Above Ground Level (AGL), and line-of-sight control. Historic use of RCMA has had minimal impact to the general public and park resources and values. The radio controlled model aircraft is restricted within the designated field. Flying over the adjacent campground, trailer park and lake users is prohibited.​
Determination: This closure is to prevent possible conflicts, maintain public health and safety, and prevent any unacceptable impacts on park resources and values.

Sar, that is exactly the informed response I was hoping for. Yeah, I had questioned whether I could satisfy the VLOS requirement, even with a strobe light on top. I was leaning toward using a Visual Observer close to the shoreline. Still, I think you're right, there's just not a good way to make this work given the rules out there. I will instead reach out to the Super and then go to church and say 45 Hail Mary's and hope that he/she gives it some consideration. Thanks again for the info.

Reactions: bcfd29
Sar, that is exactly the informed response I was hoping for. Yeah, I had questioned whether I could satisfy the VLOS requirement, even with a strobe light on top. I was leaning toward using a Visual Observer close to the shoreline. Still, I think you're right, there's just not a good way to make this work given the rules out there. I will instead reach out to the Super and then go to church and say 45 Hail Mary's and hope that he/she gives it some consideration. Thanks again for the info.
Also note that a distant VO doesn't buy you anything either, since Part 107 requires both the pilot and VO to be able to see the aircraft at all times:

§107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:​
(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;​
(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;​
(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and​
(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.​

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98