DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying at night question

lalojamesliz

Reactions
I have my part 107 license but I was wondering, can I fly at night just for fun under hobby rules 336? I searched around and couldn't find my answer with the new drone laws.
thanks guys

As a Hobbiest, you can fly at night recreationally (as I understand it)
It will not require licensing if not commercial.

new drone laws?

I think you can - (Legally - unless the 107 rules specifically state NOT)
… its a Bit like a commercial Airplane Pilot asking to fly VFR (Visual flight rules) at 500ft in a small 2 seater - off radar control (Which he is allowed to do - even as is a Private Pilot) - but then only VFR rules apply -) ie don't expect search and rescue.

This same pilot will be required to ask radar control - for that clearance - and will effectively terminate radar control monitoring.

--- or like the same Experienced commercial Pilot - flying his son's drone with him -

It appears that ...
Your flight is either Recreational (rule 336) or its 107 - strict conditions for Commercial flying-
if Flying recreationally (and yr aircraft and operation meets section 336 of Public Law 112-95 for Small UAV's.)- then recreational rules ONLY apply -
You cannot switch mid flight without permission -

So using 336 rules - you can fly at night - but Using 107 - you may be limited to 30mins before sunrise and 30m after sunset (Alternatively something about a Waiver - See Waivers for Extra 107 permissions)
Examples of recent part 107 FAA waivers

There's a Great forum in phantompilots.com that talks about this (night flights- 336)...

See flying at night - Part 336

Also see about Flying in controlled airspace (under 107) here: Temporary Application to fly in controlled airspace (107)

You only need to register yr Drone if Flying Commercially (and / or) your drone weighs more than 5.5 pounds.
A typical Mavic 2 Pro weighs around 2 pnds - (so no need to register unless flying yours commercially)
See Drone registration requirements - and RECREATIONAL Flying

If Unsure, contact the FAA directly and ASK them.

Last edited:
can I choose if I want to be part 107 or 336?
Yes. You must decide whether you'll be flying under Part 336 rules or Part 107 rules before taking off. Then, just follow the appropriate rules for that entire flight.

Reactions: lalojamesliz
Any definative information about Part 336 flying at night? I’d love to believe you guys and just be able to enjoy myself while doing it, but I think it wouldn’t be much of a defense going up against an FAA inquiry board saying “but the guys at Mavicpilots” said it was ok!

Any definative information about Part 336 flying at night? I’d love to believe you guys and just be able to enjoy myself while doing it, but I think it wouldn’t be much of a defense going up against an FAA inquiry board saying “but the guys at Mavicpilots” said it was ok!

I think you can - (Legally - unless the 107 rules specifically state NOT)
… its a Bit like a commercial Airplane Pilot asking to fly VFR (Visual flight rules) at 500ft in a small 2 seater - off radar control (Which he is allowed to do - even as is a Private Pilot) - but then only VFR rules apply -) ie don't expect search and rescue.

This same pilot will be required to ask radar control - for that clearance - and will effectively terminate radar control monitoring.

--- or like the same Experienced commercial Pilot - flying his son's drone with him -

It appears that ...
Your flight is either Recreational (rule 336) or its 107 - strict conditions for Commercial flying-
if Flying recreationally (and yr aircraft and operation meets section 336 of Public Law 112-95 for Small UAV's.)- then recreational rules ONLY apply -
You cannot switch mid flight without permission -

So using 336 rules - you can fly at night - but Using 107 - you may be limited to 30mins before sunrise and 30m after sunset (Alternatively something about a Waiver - See Waivers for Extra 107 permissions)
Examples of recent part 107 FAA waivers

There's a Great forum in phantompilots.com that talks about this (night flights- 336)...

See flying at night - Part 336

Also see about Flying in controlled airspace (under 107) here: Temporary Application to fly in controlled airspace (107)

You only need to register yr Drone if Flying Commercially (and / or) your drone weighs more than 5.5 pounds.
A typical Mavic 2 Pro weighs around 2 pnds - (so no need to register unless flying yours commercially)
See Drone registration requirements - and RECREATIONAL Flying

You have to register your drone regardless of if you are hobbyist or commercial. The weight is between .55 lbs and 55 lbs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada