DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at night with a flare

Dharris6891

Reactions
I'm at the lake right now and there is someone flying a drone and they have, what appears to be, a road flare dangling below the drone. I can't think of any reason for someone to do this and with the fire danger being "very high" is seems down right and reckless... I've included a picture off my phone. I can watch it occassionally dropping embers and see the smoke trail.
a736fc11d27334d2130d41b9f9658078.jpg

There are a lot of articles talking about the new fad using lights, embers, flares , glow sticks to do what they call light Photography with drones ,

Here is an example,
and this may be what they are attempting to do given there surroundings
as its becoming very popular , this is one of the better examples ,

Than again they may be using the flare to just track the drone , either way Flares are not the best choice .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Land on the Water.

screenshot_185.png
as

Last edited:
I'm at the lake right now and there is someone flying a drone and they have, what appears to be, a road flare dangling below the drone. I can't think of any reason for someone to do this and with the fire danger being "very high" is seems down right and reckless... I've included a picture off my phone. I can watch it occassionally dropping embers and see the smoke trail.

Thats makes sense to me, but as stated, a battery operated flare would be much safer. We're extremely dry right now and like I said, I could watch ember trails coming off whatever they were dangling. I'd assume this is for doing long exposure shots? That's a pretty cool idea actually. Now you've all got me thinking a bit more, of course, not with a road flare!

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Maybe hoping for fake ufo reports? It happens. As seen on "fact or faked".

Anti collision light visible for 3sm?

I thought the FAA ruled no night flying for drones?
Once...

Then it was ok for recreational fliers if they have lights visible for 3sm.
Then it was ok also for part 107 fliers if they have a "Daylight Waver" and lights visible for 3sm.
Now, a part 107 pilot only needs to pass the recurrent and have lights visible for 3sm.

(A part 107 pilot can always fly as a recreational pilot, "not in furtherance of a business.")

You are giving me ideas - I can use this technique with my model shoots - very nice!!
To illuminate the model from 20 - 30 ft above, try using one or two hi-intensity LED lights pointing down, either wired to it's own small weight lipo or wired into the drone's circuitry. For more light power, if you have some photography gear, is to remotely fire a strobe.

To illuminate the model from 20 - 30 ft above, try using one or two hi-intensity LED lights pointing down, either wired to it's own small weight lipo or wired into the drone's circuitry.

If close enough, @fguthrie could maybe use a bright strobe, set to solid light, like the FHT ARCII, or one of the larger ones, if room permits.
They put out quite a lot of light, could run ever 2, 3, 4 of them under the arms . . . depends how far from the model they want to shoot from.

Reactions: fguthrie
Sad commentary given the current restrictions on fire in NE AZ... I was just at Canyon Lake

Reactions: DoomMeister
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer