DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at the Grand Canyon

Cyrus Bowman

Reactions
At the Grand Canyon this week have anyone ever flown there drone over the canyon? Just looking at it, very intimidating. Would I stay connected? Talking about space it’s a lot of it out here.

At the Grand Canyon this week have anyone ever flown there drone over the canyon? Just looking at it, very intimidating. Would I stay connected? Talking about space it’s a lot of it out here.

The Grand Canyon is a national park, one with a lot of tourist helicopters in the air space, and is thus a no fly zone. Drones are prohibited.

I’ve been at the GC several times and taken a tour on an Eco Star 130. I’d really hate to see a Drone while I was in it!
Take a helicopter tour with a GoPro [emoji6]. Or maybe you can hold your drone in your hand and record footage?

Last edited:
Reactions: bushie and BigAl07

With all due respect...if you have to even ask this question, please put your drone back in the box it came in, immediately. Not in a carrying case; IN THE BOX. This question can only be the tip of a very large iceberg that portends titanic ill effects for you & those around you. If you DO fly your drone without first getting up to the speed you need to be at to in order to have the modicum of knowledge one should possess BEFORE even HOLDING a drone remote controller, then please post when & where you plan on doing it.

You’ll find me that day at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. In a cave I discovered there decades ago. Holding an umbrella.

Don't do it! I've taken both helicopter and fixed wing flights over and below the canyon's rim and to risk a collision with a drone is the stuff of nightmares! Besides which it's illegal!

Reactions: CC Rider
With all due respect...if you have to even ask this question, please put your drone back in the box it came in, immediately. Not in a carrying case; IN THE BOX. This question can only be the tip of a very large iceberg that portends titanic ill effects for you & those around you. If you DO fly your drone without first getting up to the speed you need to be at to in order to have the modicum of knowledge one should possess BEFORE even HOLDING a drone remote controller, then please post when & where you plan on doing it.

You’ll find me that day at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. In a cave I discovered there decades ago. Holding an umbrella.
You hit the nail on the head, brother!

Reactions: CC Rider
You may want to visit faa.gov and search for KNOW BEFORE YOU FLY. It will help you immensely.
However, the ban from operating within a National Park has nothing to do with the FAA.

Hey Cyrus, are you from back East? Look up BLM, USFS or National Recreation Areas, many do allow drones and there as long as its not designated wilderness area. There are many other picturesque canyons in redrock country you can fly that are not a National Park.

For a good alternative near Flagstaff where you can legally fly your drone, check out Red Mountain on the Coconino National Forest. It is very picturesque and is not in a wilderness area. Just be sure to check the forest website as well as AirMap in case there is a temporary closure before you go:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoomzoom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d