DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Backwards, what gives?

jamba25

Reactions
I'm using DJI GO 4 and while flying inside the house practicing made some minor changes on visual navigation settings to enable Backwards Flying and Obstacle Avoidance. Landed safely with no problems. Then flew again tonight and as soon as it lifted off, it started flying backwards and I couldn't control it and crashed on the wall. Luckily no damage but scratches on the prop. I disabled both settings and tried again flying 2 feet and again started flying backwards. I was able to hold it from the top and shutdown before it crashed again. Does any have any idea what might be causing this? I'm afraid to fly this thing now in or out of the house. Appreciate the help!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

This exact thing happened to me the fist time I flew inside, my guess is that it has something to do with the calibration, or signal blockage from being inside. I am now scared to fly indoors but out doors it works perfectly. I'm curious if there is an actual explanation for this.

Usually GPS will not lock inside the house and depending on the flooring (carpet) it tough for the sensors to know if its holding still. I would test out side on solid ground and report back if you have issues.

I've been flying inside the house all weekend with no problems. It's after I enabled those navigation settings that it started acting weird.

I've been flying inside the house all weekend with no problems. It's after I enabled those navigation settings that it started acting weird.

It's probably that they sensed an object and backed up, did you perchance forget to take the stickers off of the front sensors?

Yes those had been removed. I've had this for nearly a month and been flying it with no issues. Another recent change is using the DJI GO 4 over the DJI GO app but I'm not sure if that may have something to do with this.

Do you have the "enable backwards flying" turned on in the sensor menu area of the app? If so as soon as you take off if it senses something in front of it, it will move backwards.

Reactions: Pushpak
I'm using DJI GO 4 and while flying inside the house practicing made some minor changes on visual navigation settings to enable Backwards Flying and Obstacle Avoidance. Landed safely with no problems. Then flew again tonight and as soon as it lifted off, it started flying backwards and I couldn't control it and crashed on the wall. Luckily no damage but scratches on the prop. I disabled both settings and tried again flying 2 feet and again started flying backwards. I was able to hold it from the top and shutdown before it crashed again. Does any have any idea what might be causing this? I'm afraid to fly this thing now in or out of the house. Appreciate the help!

Your changes weren't "minor". Inside you need to be VERY careful about lighting and unvaried flooring. The floor needs to have patterns of some kind. Also, if you are near windows, you might be switching between ATTI and GPS mode. That can cause all sorts of problems. But not if you are in a well lit room with a varied floor. That is a must. Also, I have prop guards for indoor flying. They work extremely well in tight spaces.

I think the "Enable Backwards Flying" setting is only for ActiveTrack and if that is true it shouldn't effect gps or atti modes unless there is something physically/electronically wrong with your bird. From what I have read I think it is probably the switching from gps to atti. I don't think the mavic is very stable in atti mode and that is why DJI didn't put in a switch to fly in just atti mode.

Reactions: Leigh
I think the "Enable Backwards Flying" setting is only for ActiveTrack and if that is true it shouldn't effect gps or atti modes unless there is something physically/electronically wrong with your bird. From what I have read I think it is probably the switching from gps to atti. I don't think the mavic is very stable in atti mode and that is why DJI didn't put in a switch to fly in just atti mode.
I agree. But I've had it do the same when already in ATTI mode and when it gets confused by the downward camera view. More than one "sudden movement" culprit out there - or in there I guess. Haha.

I agree. But I've had it do the same when already in ATTI mode and when it gets confused by the downward camera view. More than one "sudden movement" culprit out there - or in there I guess. Haha.
No doubt. Being in tight spaces in atti mode with obstacle avoidance on is just a boon for the prop manufacturers, Band-aides, and drywall contractors.

Just adding to possible troubleshooting... there were some users who had issues with the RC stick calibration where they were physically centred but not logically so in software...

Purely geek question. Could the unstable behavior also be a product of the prop wash or the air not being displaced and sort of cycling back up and the Mavic getting caught up in its own wind turbulence? For some reason that popped into my head after reading a while back that Phantoms had a problem with descending, and that they were a victim of their wind displacement. I forget the technical name for it. FOUND IT. Vortex Ring State.

Mate, I cant stress it enough. DONT FLY INDOORS.
Like seriously, we are all very eager to fly, but please take it outdoors, there is so much wifi, electrical and magnetic interference that you will only damage your craft.

Seconded, no business flying indoors unless you have a huge space with room for error. The average house though, forget about it

Maybe your receiving partial or intermittent GPS signal inside of your house causing erratic behavior. I wonder if the GPS signal was completely blocked if your craft would behave that way.

I have flown twice indoors - and crashed twice indoors - both times the mavic flew out of control forward or backwards, slowly.

I had a similar experience when I first "flew" the Mavic indoors (couldn't wait for the daylight to fly it outside); everything was OK as far as my info on the phone and remote goes, but the moment I pressed both sticks down and in, the bird took off and plummeted under a couch, breaking two props and forcing the gimbal against the floor.
To me, all inside filghts are a no, no, regardless of what happened.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flymehome