DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying below starting point level

Razdus

Reactions
Started flying two days ago so still a newbie.

If I start flying on a hill and want to follow the hill downwards below my original starting level will the craft allow me to or will it try to land?

Thank you.

Ray

If I start flying on a hill and want to follow the hill downwards below my original starting level will the craft allow me to or will it try to land?

Thank you.

Ray
yes it will but you will get a negative reading on the height on the app that reading is from the take off point and is not your height from the ground be carefull to make sure you are still flying within the guidlines of the country you are in to comply with the regs

That's a common question for newbies.
Why would the drone attempt to land?
If you were designing sophisticated drones, how would you program your creation to work if someone tried to fly lower than their takeoff point?

Actually, there's no special programming needed at all.
You can launch from a high point and fly down or a low point and fly up.
It makes no difference to the drone, just like a real plane.

That's a common question for newbies.
Why would the drone attempt to land?
If you were designing sophisticated drones, how would you program your creation to work if someone tried to fly lower than their takeoff point?

Actually, there's no special programming needed at all.
You can launch from a high point and fly down or a low point and fly up.
It makes no difference to the drone, just like a real plane.

I guess my logic was that to continue to fly in a downward direction, below the start off level, I would need to pull the right lever downward, as you would if you were landing.

yes it will but you will get a negative reading on the height on the app that reading is from the take off point and is not your height from the ground be carefull to make sure you are still flying within the guidlines of the country you are in to comply with the regs
Thank you.

If Landing Protection is enabled (the default setting), your Mavic won't attempt to land unless your Mavic is hovering in place right above the ground and the throttle is in the full down position. That's a pretty specific action though and one that you should not be able to reproduce unless you're actually trying to land.

That would bake you up

Ray
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Fly safe and have fun!

If Landing Protection is enabled (the default setting), your Mavic won't attempt to land unless your Mavic is hovering in place right above the ground and the throttle is in the full down position. That's a pretty specific action though and one that you should not be able to reproduce unless you're actually trying to land.
True, it would be a highly unlikely event. Thank you.

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Best regards and good luck,

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+