DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying during Covid 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never put my 'official' hat on as a member of this forum, but having seen the number of people still flying in the UK (as well as other countries on lockdown) I feel a responsibility to try and encourage people that are in countries currently on Lockdown to not fly, and stay at home.

As someone that works for the UK Government that has been moved from my normal Dept to work directly on Covid 19 response, I can tell you all this virus is not a joke. I have seen first hand the damage this virus can do to a healthy human being. This is not the flu. The absolute worst thing about this virus is that it effects people in different ways. Some people can carry it and only have very mild symptoms, then pass it to someone who will subsequently die.

So, if you live in a country that has asked you only to go out for essential reasons (food, medicine, exercize) - then please abide by that request. Whilst you may be ok, you could pass the virus to someone that isn't.

Flying a drone isn't essential. Unless you own a large area of land that guarantees not seeing another human - keep it grounded.

Apologies if this is a bit of a rant. But, I'm honestly sick to death of seeing people put everyone
else at huge risk because they are so selfish and ignorant that they can't be bothered to make small changes to their lives for the good of humanity.
Hopefully you don't think the virus would be stopped if everyone followed your interpretation of a poorly written, vague regulation. Yes I still fly my drone and if I am not near other people that will not spread the Corona virus. I also hike with friends typically between 5 and 10 miles. We now hike in a very small group, we no longer carpool, and we hike 10-20 feet apart. That is not putting us at danger even if we are out for hours. What I won't do is walk in our local parks because too many people are there. That would be following the regulations but is not safe enough for me. I'm also concerned about all shopping. I wear protection, use disinfectant and will shop for some of my neighbors at the same time so they can stay home. They also check with me when they need to go shopping. I would suggest that you do something to actually reduce the risk of spreading this virus and quit complaining about what others are doing when their activities are not putting people at risk!

I would suggest that you do something to actually reduce the risk of spreading this virus and quit complaining about what others are doing when their activities are not putting people at risk!
I take you didn’t read post#39. Sounds like he is.

Guys your just going round and round. Let’s stop poking
and be productive in this thread.

Going by this thread we can see why the virus is spreading like it is. I wonder how many of these drone flyers that ignore the rules and guideline about the lockdown, would have something to say if a pilot came on saying he or she ignored the FAA or CAA rules because of this attitude of nothing will go wrong, it wont happen to me.

i call the nearest person to me at 30ft when flying, playing it safe

i found the guidance for using parks in the uk

• stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily
  • you should only go outside alone or with members of your own household
  • keep at least 2 metres apart from anyone outside your household at all times
  • gatherings of more than two in parks or other public spaces have been banned and the police will enforce this
1 the park is local to me
2 i am on my own
3 im at least 30ft from everyone
4 im not gathering with anyone

therfore im following the guidelines

Reactions: Wavecloud
Look. we're just going around in circles here.
It's very straight forward as far as I'm concerned, and there are no grey areas.

Stay in the house unless it's essential. Take the exercise you need (up to 30 minutes a day).

No, you can't loiter anywhere for any reason - the Police have and will move people on.

Keep 2m distance from people you don't live with.
doesn’t get any simpler than that.

i found the guidance for using parks in the uk

• stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily
  • you should only go outside alone or with members of your own household
  • keep at least 2 metres apart from anyone outside your household at all times
  • gatherings of more than two in parks or other public spaces have been banned and the police will enforce this
1 the park is local to me
2 i am on my own
3 im at least 30ft from everyone
4 im not gathering with anyone

therfore im following the guidelines
Then you are simply breaking the law anyway under CAP 393.

The minimum stand off distances in the UK for operating a SUAS is 50m reduced to 30m during take off and landing only.

30ft is not acceptable in any circumstances.

Reading your posts above I fear that will make no difference to your activities either.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I was 30ft away not the drone, and at takeoff no one was within 30 m+

Pease get back on topic if it’s even possible at this point.

Hey folks, I understand we all need to talk about how this pandemic is affecting our lives. This is definitely a hardship that has not been seen for over a century. Our daily lives are anything but normal and it appears it won’t get there anytime soon.

We need to keep our discussions civil and once we have made our point please leave it at that. Retorting to every post that has an opposing opinion to keep saying the same thing needs to end.

This is 2020, the world is not isolated by any far stretch of the imagination. We are in this together and it doesn’t matter what part of the world we reside in we need to resolve this together.

UK Government advice is 'Stay at home', and it gives a list reasons why you 'may' go out, but only if it's necessary. Many front-line health professionals from cleaners to consultants have politely requested (indeed, pleaded in some instances) that people should stay at home and only go out if they absolutely need to. Flying a drone isn't reason enough to go out, or to loiter when you are out, so why do it? You may not have symptoms, and you may have been avoiding contact with others, but that doesn't necessarily mean you haven't got the virus. It's probably not likely that you have, but it's not just about protecting yourself, it's for the benefit of the community as a whole, that you're not potentially passing it on to others who may be more vulnerable than you. A bit of self-discipline and less selfishness is all that's needed during the crisis. There'll be plenty of time to get out and about with your drone when this is all over.

Guys - on the forums I frequent and have done since windows 95 (LOL), they have a no politcs discussion rule @dirkclod

Surley that rule is needed here as it seems you guys do not want bicker.... Im dying to get into discusions as politics is one of my obsessions right now but on forums it Always ends in tears. All poiltcs in the UK are about arguments and winners and losers.

Last edited:
UK Government advice is 'Stay at home', and it gives a list reasons why you 'may' go out, but only if it's necessary. Many front-line health professionals from cleaners to consultants have politely requested (indeed, pleaded in some instances) that people should stay at home and only go out if they absolutely need to. Flying a drone isn't reason enough to go out, or to loiter when you are out, so why do it? You may not have symptoms, and you may have been avoiding contact with others, but that doesn't necessarily mean you haven't got the virus. It's probably not likely that you have, but it's not just about protecting yourself, it's for the benefit of the community as a whole, that you're not potentially passing it on to others who may be more vulnerable than you. A bit of self-discipline and less selfishness is all that's needed during the crisis. There'll be plenty of time to get out and about with your drone when this is all over.

Lets remeber that these are the guys who want a no deal brexit and destroy life as we know it anyway. My last comment here but Im gonna be watching :)

Guys - on the forums I frequent and have done since windows 95 (LOL), they have a no politcs discussion rule @dirkclod

Surley that rule is needed here as it seems you guys do not want bicker.... Im dying to get into discusions as politics is one of my obsessions right now but on forums it Always ends in tears. All poiltcs in the UK are about arguments and winners and losers.
It is quite obvious you never read the Community Rules for this forum or have forgotten them.

13. Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are not permitted in the community and will be closed or removed.

This is a very trying time for everyone. Normally this thread would have been closed by the end of the first page, but there has to be some outlet for the anxiety. We are only keeping this thread open so you can say your piece and move on. Repeating your stance over and over will end in isolation.

It is quite obvious you never read the Community Rules for this forum or have forgotten them.

13. Discussions about politics, weaponry and religion are not permitted in the community and will be closed or removed.

This is a very trying time for everyone. Normally this thread would have been closed by the end of the first page, but there has to be some outlet for the anxiety. We are only keeping this thread open so you can say your piece and move on. Repeating your stance over and over will end in isolation.

I guess that applies to everyone on this thread. :)

I did read somerules once. In 1978...

Thanks for the reply by the way.

Outlet for anxiety online..? In my 25 years experience online I have learned that it Never ends well. The young kids are even killing there selves because of it.

On flying in general - We RC modle pilots have been soaring for decades with no issues really. It is only modern drone geezas who have ( (Mod Removed Langage) it up for everyone - all these new laws are purely because of drones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fast RC jets and other scale models - Do Not requiere automation. They fly at well over 200mph, totally manual controlled.

Single rotor helicopter - It easier to walk on water than fly one.

I have only just got my first modern drone - and i think a my dog could fly it :D

It is only modern drone geezas who have Fxxt it up for everyone - all these new laws are purely because of drones.

Well is fairness, you RC lot messed it up for the kite brigade !! ;)

You're right though, these DJI (and other such) consumer drones fly themselves . . . well, a computer flies them, all we do is tell the computer what to do.

Well is fairness, you RC lot messed it up for the kite brigade !! ;)

You're right though, these DJI (and other such) consumer drones fly themselves . . . well, a computer flies them, all we do is tell the computer what to do.

Ahh hold on - I am a kite guy too. And sailing instructor, windsurf instructor RYA Level 5 and Level 3.

Ive been a surfer since 91 also. Thats my main discipline and yes still surfing under lockdown as my daily exercise. River surfing on a weir that is fenced off with security fencing so only way in is to get wet.

Yes - its the computer stuff that makes me nervous to be honest - especilly when I realised where the DJI headquarters is. In a land that conrols its citizen with a 'Social Credit Score' and all us guys are happily handing over our data to a dictatorship. Hmmmm

Ya gotta laugh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada