DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I started doing when flying jobs is wear a safety vest with my logo on it. People watching you fly will look at you differently when you're wearing gear that basically says you are working and back off. If you get an engineers safety vest they even have a badge display pocket in the chest area that you can have your 107 in. I have not had anyone approach me in a negative manner when wearing it. I don't really care for the high vis stuff but if it keeps pissy people off my back then so be it.

I was using my drone to take a picture of solar panels my company put on a roof, as I often do. And a lady came out of the neighboring house in a huff demanding what I was doing with the drone. I was polite and de-escalated the situation and explained what I was doing. She was eventually ok with it. I asked her why it bothered her so much and she said, it's just weird to fly a drone in a residential area even implying that it is illegal to fly drones in a residential area (as far as I know, it's not).

Now, I understand why people get concerned. But I was wondering 1) if anyone has had issues with others confronting them about their drone and how they handled it and 2) generally, what are the actual rules about flying a drone in a residential area? When do random people in the area have a right to maybe call the cops?
flying over people or moving vehicles is illegal, its a violation of 14 CFR 107.39. Also, taking pictures of the solar panels
for your company, even though your not charging for them can also get you into trouble. You will have to look up info
about taking pictures, with your drone, how the government views it. Fly Safe.

I was using my drone to take a picture of solar panels my company put on a roof, as I often do. And a lady came out of the neighboring house in a huff demanding what I was doing with the drone. I was polite and de-escalated the situation and explained what I was doing. She was eventually ok with it. I asked her why it bothered her so much and she said, it's just weird to fly a drone in a residential area even implying that it is illegal to fly drones in a residential area (as far as I know, it's not).

Now, I understand why people get concerned. But I was wondering 1) if anyone has had issues with others confronting them about their drone and how they handled it and 2) generally, what are the actual rules about flying a drone in a residential area? When do random people in the area have a right to maybe call the cops?
Regarding Part 107. If you are running a legit business, then look the part. I used to get approached frequently and responses were all over the map. I quickly learned, if I look and present myself as a Professional, which I make every effort to be, then you will have very few encounters. Safety equipment including hardhats, vest, safety shoes, VO, and glasses. Warning cones and a confined, secure flight deck. If you present yourself as a Professional, I believe that will relieve most but not all the rubbernecks.

I used to be nice, but people are idiots so now I tell them, "Sorry Busy working what I am doing is 100% legal, if you dont think it is call the cops, have a nice day"

flying over people or moving vehicles is illegal, its a violation of 14 CFR 107.39. Also, taking pictures of the solar panels
for your company, even though your not charging for them can also get you into trouble. You will have to look up info
about taking pictures, with your drone, how the government views it. Fly Safe.
No one but the FAA controls the airspace above a residential property. A home owner has a right to reasonable amount of personal privacy and expectation to enjoy their property as well. There are peeping Tom laws and trespassing laws that could be brought against drone pilot if they were snooping around a property without permission from owner.

In your case, you were doing a job and I would assume with owners permission.
You do need to be part 107 certified to do this work however, whether being paid for it or not.

You did do the right thing by being friendly and deesclating the situation. I have in the past knock on neighbors doors next to where I am capturing footage, just to let them know why I am there. Usually when doingbresidetial work.

I have never run into issues with bystanders/neighbors. I have had 3 incidents with some form of "authority figure" and in each case I simply agreed, landed, and moved on. In each of those 3 cases, the authority figure was wrong, and I followed up with the proper agency in writing. That way if I run into any issues with that authority again, I have documentation.

The only items of concern are:
  • Airspace in the USA is controlled by one and only one entity, and that is the FAA. If you are authorized to fly in that airspace then you are fine and it doesn't matter whether it is residential, commercial, industrial, etc... Check the airspace and make sure you are flying legally.
  • The land from where you take-off and land. You should not be using private land as a launch point unless you have permission of that land owner. Otherwise you are trespassing. If it is public property you are generally fine unless that jurisdiction has some ordinances against using public property for take-off and landing. Know the ordinances in your area!
  • Are you breaking any other non-drone-related laws like invasion of privacy, disturbing the peace, etc... As long as you are not using your drone to illegally surveil someone, I think you are generally safe. Know the laws in your area!
  • Many will disagree but if you are taking pictures of solar panels that your company installed, the intent of that flight would not be "purely recreational", in general. As such you would need a Part 107 license in order to do so.

Citizens always have the right to call law enforcement. What the police do is another story. If they have any idea of the laws regarding drones then they would pass that on to the caller and move on. If they do respond and come out to the site, be cordial, explain the situation, and move on if the officer requests you to (even if he is wrong).
Great Explanation. I agree with all of those points. We should not argue if the issue is not escalated.. Many of the public do not know the rules...

Many of the public do not know the rules...

Sadly, this is also true of any number of law enforcement officers, including the local police and Sheriff’s deputies.

In most of the cases I’ve dealt with, they treat it as a learning experience.

But you occasionally get a Barney Fife who insists that their ignorance is THE LAW and demands that you RESPECT THEIR AUTHORITY.

Best to gracefully retreat and escalate via channels. As my attorney has said, “You might beat the rap, but you’ll never beat the ride.”

If you have a link to that law, that would be very helpful. We'll fight it.

There is no actual definition of aerial trespass, and no state law may control the airspace. If this law exists, it's Federally Preempted.

Couldn't find it here...

Your US colleagues seem to have responded to the question. In New Zealand, you can fly over your own roof, but not over your neighbour's. It is illegal to fly over private property without consent. Also illegal to fly over roads, cars and people. Parks are fine, unless it is banned for some reason. So one park in Auckland bans drones, the others are fine. So long as you don't fly over people or cars.

I was testing sports mode over my property so making a wee bit of noise. The neighbour complained. At another property a close neighbour has also complained. They are concerned about privacy. Some people are paranoid. Truth is I have never looked at them.

Despite all the comments about FAA owning the sky the thing is privacy and photography. Some folk just assume you are a peeping Tom. It's a hard argument to win. And to be fair your camera is always on...

Despite all the comments about FAA owning the sky the thing is privacy and photography. Some folk just assume you are a peeping Tom. It's a hard argument to win. And to be fair your camera is always on...

I haven't been a drone pilot nearly as long as I've been a photographer.

But it has been observed among photographers that the people most paranoid about the long lens are people *nobody* wants to see naked in the first place.

§ 18.2-121.3. Trespass with an unmanned aircraft system; penalty.
I believe there is an exception for Part 107 certifications.

Actually, as written, this is a completely unenforceable code. It states:

"§ 18.2-121.3. Trespass with an unmanned aircraft system; penalty.
A. Any person who knowingly and intentionally causes an unmanned aircraft system to (i) enter the property of another and come within 50 feet of a dwelling house (a) to coerce, intimidate, or harass another person or (b) after having been given actual notice to desist, for any other reason, or (ii) take off or land in violation of current Federal Aviation Administration Special Security Instructions or UAS Security Sensitive Airspace Restrictions is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. This section shall not apply to any person who causes an unmanned aircraft system to enter the property as set forth in subsection A if (i) consent is given to the entry by any person with legal authority to consent or by any person who is lawfully present on such property or (ii) such person is authorized by federal regulations to operate an unmanned aircraft system and is operating such system in an otherwise lawful manner and consistent with federal regulations."

There a number of issues. First, there has to be intent. (A) mentioned "knowingly and intentionally" and "to coerce, intimidate, or harass another person". Second (B), the operator has to have been informed by the property owner first that they don't want you there.

However, this does not apply to anyone who has registered their drone, or flies a drone under 250g for recreation or hobby. "B. This section shall not apply to any... such person [who] is authorized by federal regulations to operate an unmanned aircraft system and is operating such system in an otherwise lawful manner and consistent with federal regulations." This exempts every 107, 349, 333, or COA operator in the state.

This is another perfect example of politicians writing codes who are clueless to how the thing they are writing about works or is actually regulated. This basically only covers people who fly without registration.

Reactions: Drgnfli
§ 18.2-121.3. Trespass with an unmanned aircraft system; penalty.
I believe there is an exception for Part 107 certifications.

Oh, and thanks for finding the link, that helps!

Reactions: Heavydpj
If it's legal, I fly.

I don't have the time or inclination (or patience in many cases) to worry about what other people think about my drone. This is my business.

If I have a problem, they can wait until I land to talk to me. If they don't feel they want to wait, I tell them to call the cops. If they come before I leave, I'll talk to them. If not, I leave.

People need to get over themselves. They aren't important enough for us to spy on them.

If we don't stand up for our rights to fly, then we lose them.
You are the type of pilot that need's training just as much those people thinking your spying on them , most folks just want to know what is going on. Instead Getty upset with them,try to educate then

• Sad
Reactions: Drgnfli
You are the type of pilot that need's training just as much those people thinking your spying on them , most folks just want to know what is going on. Instead Getty upset with them,try to educate then

Trust me when I say I don't need training... ?

Does one typically bother a photographer on the ground? Nope, even if the photographer has a huge telephoto pointed at them, they think, "they're probably getting something behind me". But they have the understanding to not ask unnecessary questions, and the photographer is definitely not going to find a need to explain himself.

Why the need to be superficially nice. Covid makes it easier to be distant.

I find that by flying from the comfort of my car I avoid 99.99% of all confrontations. (I got the inspiration from dirkclod, he has a way sicker set up than I do though)

Does one typically bother a photographer on the ground? Nope, even if the photographer has a huge telephoto pointed at them, they think, "they're probably getting something behind me".

You’d be surprised. I was shooting the 2019 Phoenix Scottish Games when a woman got in my face about not taking her picture.

She was not a competitor or an athlete. Just someone who probably shouldn’t be allowed to wander around unsupervised in public.

She cost me the shot on a record-setting throw.

Here’s the same athlete on a different event - weight for distance. His weight-over-bar set a record that day.

And, yes, I was shooting with my “beast lens” that day.

69C2BCB3-30C7-44DB-B78E-BD7BD0CF20CC.jpeg

Last edited:
You’d be surprised. I was shooting the 2019 Phoenix Scottish Games when a woman got in my face about not taking her picture.

She was not a competitor or an athlete. Just someone who probably shouldn’t be allowed to wander around unsupervised in public.

She cost me the shot on a record-setting throw.
That's ludicrous.

I've never had that problem, but there are always those people out there somewhere.

You also have a few years on me though, so I'm sure I've got that "this one time story" waiting.

It's crazy though, bust out a 500mm lens on your T3i ripping frames... No looks.
Start your props 15 meters from anybody else, people start acting offended. ??

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverbobomalem