DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Etiquette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny A

Reactions
I was using my drone to take a picture of solar panels my company put on a roof, as I often do. And a lady came out of the neighboring house in a huff demanding what I was doing with the drone. I was polite and de-escalated the situation and explained what I was doing. She was eventually ok with it. I asked her why it bothered her so much and she said, it's just weird to fly a drone in a residential area even implying that it is illegal to fly drones in a residential area (as far as I know, it's not).

Now, I understand why people get concerned. But I was wondering 1) if anyone has had issues with others confronting them about their drone and how they handled it and 2) generally, what are the actual rules about flying a drone in a residential area? When do random people in the area have a right to maybe call the cops?

1) if anyone has had issues with others confronting them about their drone and how they handled it and
I have never run into issues with bystanders/neighbors. I have had 3 incidents with some form of "authority figure" and in each case I simply agreed, landed, and moved on. In each of those 3 cases, the authority figure was wrong, and I followed up with the proper agency in writing. That way if I run into any issues with that authority again, I have documentation.

2) generally, what are the actual rules about flying a drone in a residential area?
The only items of concern are:
  • Airspace in the USA is controlled by one and only one entity, and that is the FAA. If you are authorized to fly in that airspace then you are fine and it doesn't matter whether it is residential, commercial, industrial, etc... Check the airspace and make sure you are flying legally.
  • The land from where you take-off and land. You should not be using private land as a launch point unless you have permission of that land owner. Otherwise you are trespassing. If it is public property you are generally fine unless that jurisdiction has some ordinances against using public property for take-off and landing. Know the ordinances in your area!
  • Are you breaking any other non-drone-related laws like invasion of privacy, disturbing the peace, etc... As long as you are not using your drone to illegally surveil someone, I think you are generally safe. Know the laws in your area!
  • Many will disagree but if you are taking pictures of solar panels that your company installed, the intent of that flight would not be "purely recreational", in general. As such you would need a Part 107 license in order to do so.
When do random people in the area have a right to maybe call the cops?
Citizens always have the right to call law enforcement. What the police do is another story. If they have any idea of the laws regarding drones then they would pass that on to the caller and move on. If they do respond and come out to the site, be cordial, explain the situation, and move on if the officer requests you to (even if he is wrong).

The rules vary depending on where you live- here in the UK we cannot fly closer than 50m to buildings, so I couldn't film my own roof as my house is joined onto each of my neighbours. Maybe it's different where you are, and legal... if so, it might be a good idea to knock on the neighbours door and explain what you'd like to do so they're warned in advance and don't think you are snooping :)

Reactions: PeP and THE CYBORG
Nice link The Cyborg and bookmarked ...but the OP is in....ooops.....ninja'd

Edit Actually it's looking like a great link, ta, saving the page let alone book marking

Last edited by a moderator:
My take on flying over any built up area, irrespective of any laws, is......is it worth the risk if something happened and it came down?
If it hits a car, or roof top solar panel etc. the repair bill is going to be painful and if it hit a person........
Flying over one particular house for a reason such as the one you had, maybe in fact probably yes, but a general flight wandering around over a built up area, no I don't think it is.

I was using my drone to take a picture of solar panels my company put on a roof, as I often do. And a lady came out of the neighboring house in a huff demanding what I was doing with the drone. I was polite and de-escalated the situation and explained what I was doing. She was eventually ok with it. I asked her why it bothered her so much and she said, it's just weird to fly a drone in a residential area even implying that it is illegal to fly drones in a residential area (as far as I know, it's not).

Now, I understand why people get concerned. But I was wondering 1) if anyone has had issues with others confronting them about their drone and how they handled it and 2) generally, what are the actual rules about flying a drone in a residential area? When do random people in the area have a right to maybe call the cops?

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Many of us have had similar encounters and most of the time they calm down once we explain/show them what we are doing. That's not always the case and sometimes Law Enforcement "should" be called. Keep in mind that the MEDIA has painted all of us as Peeping Toms or Government spies. All they know is a Flying Robot is capturing images for WHO knows what reason. When things get hot don't be afraid to call Law Enforcement to help get things corrected just make sure you have YOUR ducks in a row (licenses, registration, etc etc).

One thing you need to know (here goes that guy) is that by doing anything outside of Hobby/Recreational you must have your Part 107 (Remote Operators License) from the FAA. Even if no money changes hand at no point is taking pictures of a solar panel installation on a house that isn't yours and your company installed every going to be considered "Hobby/Recreational". Not going to happen.

Even though you most likely do not have your Part 107 since your operation is not hobby/recreational you are held liable for ALL the rules within Part 107. Part 107 is the DEFAULT and without the "bubble of protection" afforded by Hobby/Recreational flights you are reverted back to Part 107 regulations (Which are Federal Regs.).

You would need to look at CA law for the legal limitations. For example, here in VA, it's not trespassing unless you're within 50' of a residence. Laws vary state to state, and I would think that CA may be stricter. You should also be familiar with Part 107 restrictions about flying over people (you can't) and cars (you can't if they're moving).

Having a UAS license also helps give you credibility, as does a work uniform (if you are doing work). Also, inviting them over to see what you see is helpful in educating them about what a drone is (and is not) capable of.

Reactions: Mike301
Common sense rules! Don't fly where you think it might be illegal or where anyone feels they need to be the drone police.

Reactions: hiflyer201
I think politeness goes a long way. If I'd have felt it would affect the neighbour I would have knocked on the door and asked. But you did well to calm her down. Your reason for filming is perfectly valid as long as the local rules permit.

I was filming in a park the other day. It's a bike journey with action cam and drone. I was doing a piece to camera and there were a couple of ladies and their dog about 20 feet away. The park permits drones as long as you are sensible and obey the drone code. They just don't want the things crashing into the house or people.

Anyway, when it came to the drone bit I went and had a chat, explained what I was doing and got them on side. I explained that dogs sometime don't like the drone, and they thanked me for letting them know and watched with interest.

So although there are many circumstances you don't NEED to notify people, in my experience it is usually beneficial to do so.

If it's legal, I fly.

I don't have the time or inclination (or patience in many cases) to worry about what other people think about my drone. This is my business.

If I have a problem, they can wait until I land to talk to me. If they don't feel they want to wait, I tell them to call the cops. If they come before I leave, I'll talk to them. If not, I leave.

People need to get over themselves. They aren't important enough for us to spy on them.

If we don't stand up for our rights to fly, then we lose them.

Common sense rules! Don't fly where you think it might be illegal or where anyone feels they need to be the drone police.

No.

It doesn't matter what others think when it comes to the law.

If you are a 107 Pilot (you are legally required to if you're flying to take photos of your solar installations), you would know that where we can fly is 100% predicated on FAA regs, airspace classification, and TFRs.

I suggest you either bone up on the rules if you're a 107, or get your 107 if you're not.

Last edited:
For example, here in VA, it's not trespassing unless you're within 50' of a residence.

If you have a link to that law, that would be very helpful. We'll fight it.

There is no actual definition of aerial trespass, and no state law may control the airspace. If this law exists, it's Federally Preempted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78