DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from home while the drone is outside?

Lriq

Reactions
Have anyone tried flying from home while the drone is outside? Yes, sitting on the bed/couch while the drone is outside... how far can the signal go?

Have anyone tried flying from home while the drone is outside? Yes, sitting on the bed/couch while the drone is outside... how far can the signal go?

Since the distance that everyone can fly varies based upon their environment I suggest that you sit in a chair outside and see how far you can fly your drone in a particular direction. Then go inside, sit on the couch, and fly in the same direction. If you record the flight to your screen then you can go back and look at the video to see it what distance your signal level dropped to four bars, three bars, two bars, and one bar. Make sure that when you’re outside you’re sitting down so that the controller’s antenna is it the same height as it will be when you sat down on your couch.

Then you’ll actually know the answer instead of relying on our guesses.

Maybe try the test once through your glass slider (if you have one), through the brick wall of your house (if you have one) and through the aluminum siding (if you have it). That experiment would actually tell you something.

Best,

Math

This seems like a really bad idea to me. I don't know about how far the signal might reach, but will your eyes reach through the walls 360 degrees to see a low flying plane, or a tall tree, or whatever else might be in your way? Outdoors, I'm often alerted to the presence of a plane or helicopter by the sound. Indoors, not so much.

Hi, you give your location as EU and I’m fairly certain that EASA regs say you have to maintain visual line of sight (unless specially qualified).
Given that, I think it’s like Garpaul says in his post, illegal to do it....don’t mean to sound like the “Drone Police” but I honestly don’t think it’s worth the risk to your equipment, financially if you’re caught and fined or to the hobby were any misstep gives us all a bad name.
On a positive note, hope you have a great time with the drone and look forward to seeing your videos. Take care, Peter

Reactions: pnovotny
Hello Hello Hello, whats going on here, please switch off your controller & produce your documents sir.

Attachments

• drone police.jpg
    drone police.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Peter Hughes
Hi, you give your location as EU and I’m fairly certain that EASA regs say you have to maintain visual line of sight (unless specially qualified).
Given that, I think it’s like Garpaul says in his post, illegal to do it.
Don't they have windows in your part of the world?
Why is it being assumed that he wants to fly blind?

Reactions: okw

Hi, we have windows and I can see what you’re getting at but if you check what I wrote, I was cautioning against the risks of flying without a clear visual line of sight which will probably occur under the circumstances unless the pilot lives in a house with 360 windows....like a lighthouse!
As I said, I’m not the drone police and if you or anyone else wants to try it with the inherent risks, then that’s your choice. Just be aware there are probably extra risks associated with this idea.

Reactions: tlswift58
Does the EU not have the same VLOS rules like in the USA? Think it would be extremely hard to fly outside, whilst inside and maintain VLOS. That is, unless you live in a glass house - which would be perfect, esp in winter for flying and staying warm / comfy.

Well Meta - I'm sure they have something called WALLS as well. Unless made of glass - mighty hard to see thru those.

Why? You are flirting with the loss of your drone. Trying things like this is why so many drones are lost.
Fly responsibly

Don't do it. How can you maintain VLOS with you inside and the aircraft outside?

Yes, I tried it once. Most of the flyable area and best signal is to the rear of my house, not to the front. So I decided to go out front, put the drone up up and fly to the back of my house. At that point, I went inside my home and glued myself to a rear window where I had sight of the drone. Signal was great, and I flew several hundred feet around trying to keep visual sight of my drone and the airspace around it, but very soon realized that was impossible. In terms of awareness, looking thru a window just isn’t the same as looking up at the sky. And honestly, it wasn’t as enjoyable. I thought to myself, what the hell am I doing? Is this why I bought the drone, to try to sneak a flight while sitting in the comfort of my home? I was very much uneasy, thinking what if’s. I immediately went back outside and walked to an area where I had good a signal and continued flying ... safely. One of the dumbest ideas I’ve had and never did it again.

Given that, I think it’s like Garpaul says in his post, illegal to do it....don’t mean to sound like the “Drone Police” but I honestly don’t think it’s worth the risk to your equipment, financially if you’re caught and fined or to the hobby were any misstep gives us all a bad name.
On a positive note, hope you have a great time with the drone and look forward to seeing your videos. Take care, Peter
Yap, it's just a curious question.

Personally, not something I would consider. My own situation would not lend itself to maintaining VLOS for any distance. Also, I would not be comfortable with the increased possibility of loss of signal. Another factor would be the lack of situational awareness. It may be difficult to hear the approach of aircraft and thus react accordingly.

All in all, I simply don't think it sounds like a good idea. I might have been tempted during the winter months, but can't see any reason otherwise.

Reactions: justcruisin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N