DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying from inside a car

I'm in Washington and have tried cold weather flying a few times. Anywhere between the teens and low 30's my iPhone 6s often dies in after a few minutes. I've also done the toe warmer trick and it has taken care of the issue a few times. I've done some reading online and this appears to be the way of the world with iPhones.

And if you want to take it a step further, you could do without even opening your door. Just park car, open window, place mavic on roof above you, launch, then land on roof.

Nope. This does not work because the car creates to much magnetic interference. Best to launch and land at least 20 ft from the car.

Did a little test over the weekend and got mixed results. I was able to takeoff and land the Mavic from the top of my car at first. But after landing I started getting magnetic errors. So I found that I had to put the Mavic next to the car in order to take off and land. Here's the video of my test:

I'm in Washington and have tried cold weather flying a few times. Anywhere between the teens and low 30's my iPhone 6s often dies in after a few minutes. I've also done the toe warmer trick and it has taken care of the issue a few times. I've done some reading online and this appears to be the way of the world with iPhones.

Not sure if you were aware, but quite a few iPhone 6S owners have had battery issues and Apple has been pretty good about replacing the batteries at no charge (no pun intended). Here's a link to a Forbes article about it.

I am dreaming of a Mag Mount setup for flying Mavic from inside the car. I'm thinking that a 1000mw 12V booster running to ai mag mount antenna would be amazing for winter flying.

Reactions: spiderpig
I'm just glad I live in Austin... we have very few days where it doesn't get at least into the 40's. it was over 75° two days last week, and over 80° one day. I grew up in the cold winters of Nebraska, don't miss it a bit
Your car will also have air-con though - and it makes a very useful sunshade.
About half the time I fly mine from inside a vehicle and at least to the front the range is not materially affected.

Another plus point is that if anyone happens along you are less likely to have to answer all the distracting questions as they think you are just tinkering with a phone or maybe a computer game.:cool:

Reactions: LakeTravis
Tried flying mine inside the car. Clipped the mirror and my ear, lots of broken blades and sticky red stuff. Thanks Saudio for starting this thread, I've now learnt NOT to fly inside the car! (I have a Merc convertible....if only I'd put the roof down. We live & learn....)

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Tried flying mine inside the car. Clipped the mirror and my ear, lots of broken blades and sticky red stuff. Thanks Saudio for starting this thread, I've now learnt NOT to fly inside the car! (I have a Merc convertible....if only I'd put the roof down. We live & learn....)

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
Great one! I literally had coffee coming out of my nose! You'd think I would learn, it's happened at least twice before on here...

That's very interesting. I use my iPad Air2 for flying. It's about 2 years old. Out for 2 hours at 29 degrees. Screen goes black. Never recovered. Toast. Tried every trick out there. Apple support says battery stops working if it is less than 32 degrees. When you warm it up it sweats. The fluid toasts the motherboard. Buy new iPad Pro today. Not happy. Phone different than iPad??

Reactions: AIRJORGE
That's very interesting. I use my iPad Air2 for flying. It's about 2 years old. Out for 2 hours at 29 degrees. Screen goes black. Never recovered. Toast. Tried every trick out there. Apple support says battery stops working if it is less than 32 degrees. When you warm it up it sweats. The fluid toasts the motherboard. Buy new iPad Pro today. Not happy. Phone different than iPad??

Took back to back flights today in MN. About 30F and 15 minutes each flight. My iPhone 7+ battery level hardly moved, much like my fingers. I do leave my phone case on which may help.
Side note: had quite a bit of jello to start but eventually went away. I didn't acclimate the mavic very long before hand. Tired of flying in the house.

Took back to back flights today in MN. About 30F and 15 minutes each flight. My iPhone 7+ battery level hardly moved, much like my fingers. I do leave my phone case on which may help.
Side note: had quite a bit of jello to start but eventually went away. I didn't acclimate the mavic very long before hand. Tired of flying in the house.

Planning on leaving my new $940 iPad Pro in doors or wait for warmer weather.

Hey guys can you please share specs about the antenna kit to fix outside the car? What should I ask for if I go to a local antenna shop? Thanks

And if you want to take it a step further, you could do without even opening your door. Just park car, open window, place mavic on roof above you, launch, then land on roof.
ae18f8ce98ac3db9c58a0e7bc44e9275.jpg
This is a landing pad on my roof

Reactions: EsiMavic
I often fly from inside the car for opposite reasons. Too hot outside.

Range is affected but not enough to stop me flying up to 500 meters. I sometimes leave one window open in the car. I find turning the aircon fan on full helps the radio signal escape the car quicker which helps with range.

I fly inside my car pretty much all the time now. I really don't see any reduced signal. And its much more stealthy, I just set it beside my car and take off and sit there in peace, because people don't know what your doing after the Mavic leaves the area. Out in the country I did quite a distance. You can see that post in the range leaderboard thread.

Wow! I have to try this! Interested in antenna boost mods as well for house and car

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki