DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in a National Park ????

JoeyThePilot56

Reactions
Greetings to all, I live in Miami Florida and I often go kayaking with my family inside the Biscayne National Park area. I've included a map to give all of you an idea were it's located. As you can clearly see , this park is actually in the ocean with some surrounding small islands which fall within the boundaries of the park. Everytime we go out there I've seen at least 5 to 6 drones flying out there and landing and taking off from boats that are anchored within the park. My question is, Isn't this illegal ??? My thoughts were that you couldn't fly inside a national park whether it's located on land or in the water ??? Also, if it's actually illegal, What are the odds of getting caught and facing a stiff fine ?? The United States Coast Guard are always out there looking for DUI's and they don't do anything about it. Help me with this guys. Thank you and fly safe.
BiscayneNP-Map.jpg

You are correct. In general, taking off, landing or operating drones from NPS property is prohibited under the authority of 36 CFR 1.5, as described on the main NPS sUAS webpage:

Biscayne National Park also specifically references sUAS in its superintendent's compendium, stating:

Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Biscayne National Park is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent.​

Reactions: MARK (LI)
You are correct. In general, taking off, landing or operating drones from NPS property is prohibited under the authority of 36 CFR 1.5, as described on the main NPS sUAS webpage:

Biscayne National Park also specifically references sUAS in its superintendent's compendium, stating:

Launching, landing, or operating an unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the National Park Service within the boundaries of Biscayne National Park is prohibited except as approved in writing by the superintendent.​
Thank you very much for that info. I'm quite sure no ones is getting the approval from the superintendent to fly in that park.

On another note, I'm surprise the drone would even fly , I thought the software would know your in a national park by GPS and wouldn't allow you to take off.

It wouldn't hurt filling out a permit, even with an ample amount of reasoning if requested, perhaps to promote awareness on biodiversity :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Thank you very much for that info. I'm quite sure no ones is getting the approval from the superintendent to fly in that park.

On another note, I'm surprise the drone would even fly , I thought the software would know your in a national park by GPS and wouldn't allow you to take off.
The geo system only prevents flight in certain airspace. It doesn't include locations where the prohibition is ground based, such as NPS lands, designated wilderness, or other local restrictions.

Greetings to all, I live in Miami Florida and I often go kayaking with my family inside the Biscayne National Park area. I've included a map to give all of you an idea were it's located. As you can clearly see , this park is actually in the ocean with some surrounding small islands which fall within the boundaries of the park. Everytime we go out there I've seen at least 5 to 6 drones flying out there and landing and taking off from boats that are anchored within the park. My question is, Isn't this illegal ??? My thoughts were that you couldn't fly inside a national park whether it's located on land or in the water ??? Also, if it's actually illegal, What are the odds of getting caught and facing a stiff fine ?? The United States Coast Guard are always out there looking for DUI's and they don't do anything about it. Help me with this guys. Thank you and fly safe.
View attachment 132112
You are correct of course. My guess would be that most of this flying is not over people or structures or roads, but over the bay, and it is really hard to track these flyers down. As viewers of this forum know, I fly frequently over the bay, but from outside the park, located in the far upper left of your map (Matheson Park). I live minutess from this area and it is my go-to place.

My flights are well documented on this forum. I have flown in full view of park officials who say nothing to me. I never fly higher than about 60 feet above the water since I like that viewpoint for my videos. And it goes without saying that the coast guard and local officials have much larger fish to fry than drones. South Florida is a hotbed of smuggling of people and drugs.

You are correct of course. My guess would be that most of this flying is not over people or structures or roads, but over the bay, and it is really hard to track these flyers down. As viewers of this forum know, I fly frequently over the bay, but from outside the park, located in the far upper left of your map (Matheson Park). I live minutess from this area and it is my go-to place.

My flights are well documented on this forum. I have flown in full view of park officials who say nothing to me. I never fly higher than about 60 feet above the water since I like that viewpoint for my videos. And it goes without saying that the coast guard and local officials have much larger fish to fry than drones. South Florida is a hotbed of smuggling of people and drugs.
Thank you very much for your input. BTW, I live in Gables Estates. I will checkout your webpage and videos.

Thank you very much for your input. BTW, I live in Gables Estates. I will checkout your webpage and videos.
So we are neighbors!!! I live in Cutler Oaks Estates, the small community on Old Cutler just before the Snapper Creek Bridge and across from Snapper Creek Homes. I make a photo run frequently for sunrises to Matheson, but not during the summer when it is rising so late. On such a run, I film from the parking lot next to Red Fish Grill. I usually set up two tripods for timelapses of the sunrise, then while those are running , I do one or two Mavic 2 Pro flights over the water towards the rising sun. I've tried hyperlapse to no avail--I get a lot of wobbling. My Vimeo site has lots of films of this but you have to dig, going to the bottom of each page for more films.

Gables Estates is well outside of the park limits. Why don't you just fly from there? I think because all of the shoreline is lined with private property!

Dale
Coral Gables

So we are neighbors!!! I live in Cutler Oaks Estates, the small community on Old Cutler just before the Snapper Creek Bridge and across from Snapper Creek Homes. I make a photo run frequently for sunrises to Matheson, but not during the summer when it is rising so late. On such a run, I film from the parking lot next to Red Fish Grill. I usually set up two tripods for timelapses of the sunrise, then while those are running , I do one or two Mavic 2 Pro flights over the water towards the rising sun. I've tried hyperlapse to no avail--I get a lot of wobbling. My Vimeo site has lots of films of this but you have to dig, going to the bottom of each page for more films.

Gables Estates is well outside of the park limits. Why don't you just fly from there? I think because all of the shoreline is lined with private property!

Dale
Coral Gables
Hey Dale,
Yes my friend, we are very close to each other. I do fly frequently from my property and I also go to Matheson and fly from the overflow boat ramp parking lot. I try to keep a low profile in the park since someone told me that it's illegal to fly in any county park. I'm just got my part 107 about 3 months ago and don't want to get into any trouble. I'm also a fixwing pilot with multi engine rating and IFR rated. Now a days I'm only flying my friends Cessna 172 from Tamiami airport. I haven't kept my instrument or Multi engine rating current since I'm only flying the 172 during daylight hours. I'm a retired mechanical engineer and my wife is a Cardiothoracic surgeon at Baptist and Mt. Sinai hospitals. We need to get together one of these days for a fresh cup of coffee, my treat !

Regards, Joe

Awesome to learn of nearby drone pilots. Seems like im right down the street in Lakes By The Bay. I have wanted to fly from within that park but the best I can get are early sunrises on card sound bridge or Lakes by the bay park.

Awesome to learn of nearby drone pilots. Seems like im right down the street in Lakes By The Bay. I have wanted to fly from within that park but the best I can get are early sunrises on card sound bridge or Lakes by the bay park.
Hello- neighbor:

You are talking at least 23 miles or 29 minutes from Lakes by the Bay to Card Sound and even then you have to shoot over the land of North Key Largo. I've been down to Alabama Jack's and frankly there is not much land to fly from.If you go over the Card Sound Bridge, there is still mostly only private property like Ocean Reef to contend with. Better to drive up to Matheson. They open the gates at 6AM and now days the sun does not rise until past 7 AM.

Dale
Miami

Simply flying in the park may not get you into trouble. Yes, you can't operate the drone (take off/land) while on NPS land. The problem comes up at times when people post their video online and the NPS send someone out to serve a ticket/citation/fine. So if you do fly and take video, just don't post the evidence out there for the NPS to see or someone to squeal on you.

I'm confused. So if I'm standing one foot outside of a national park and I launch my drone, are you saying I can legally fly it inside the boundaries of the park? I'm operating it (I'm located) outside the park, but the drone is flying around inside the park. So I'm not on the park's land, I'm keeping it VLOS and I'm not disturbing people or wildlife, then I'm good to go? I'm guessing that, yes, I'm not standing "in" the park, and the airspace above the park is public space, so I'm legal. Do I have this correct? Thanks, T

Hello- neighbor:

You are talking at least 23 miles or 29 minutes from Lakes by the Bay to Card Sound and even then you have to shoot over the land of North Key Largo. I've been down to Alabama Jack's and frankly there is not much land to fly from.If you go over the Card Sound Bridge, there is still mostly only private property like Ocean Reef to contend with. Better to drive up to Matheson. They open the gates at 6AM and now days the sun does not rise until past 7 AM.

Dale
Miami
Since daylight savings time has been moved back an hour the sunsets are now easily at 6:30-7:00. Watch that weather forecast for clear or partly cloudy skies and try the sunrises at Matheson. If you get there when the gate is opened you can avoid the entry fee.

I'm confused. So if I'm standing one foot outside of a national park and I launch my drone, are you saying I can legally fly it inside the boundaries of the park? I'm operating it (I'm located) outside the park, but the drone is flying around inside the park. So I'm not on the park's land, I'm keeping it VLOS and I'm not disturbing people or wildlife, then I'm good to go? I'm guessing that, yes, I'm not standing "in" the park, and the airspace above the park is public space, so I'm legal. Do I have this correct? Thanks, T

As long as you're:

A) flying in clear airspace (not controlled or restricted)
B) Not standing on any land owned or managed by NPS
C) Following EVERY FAA, State, and local laws

You can Fly OVER NPS land legally.

Reactions: Romulus Archibald
Thanks, that's great to know, because obviously state and national parks are where the beautiful sites you want to video/photo are located. Good to know.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803