DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Argentina and Chile

kiiirky

Reactions
I'm heading to Argentina and Chile and taking my Mavic. I've read lots of info on various threads/websites (many of which are over 12 months old) and i'm still not clear on the EXACT rules for a recreational Mavic flyer, with no plans to fly in populated areas/cities, staying out of National Parks and within obvious common sense parameters. I read that in Chile you need to submit a flight plan in advance - but as an opportunistic flyer, how can I submit something in advance when I dont even know where i'll be flying exactly yet??

Given the authority's website only in Spanish, there are various reiterations of the rules dotted over the web - even the height restriction varies from anything between 100-130m depending on when it was written.

If anybody can offer precise help it would be IMMENSELY appreciated! Oh...and I depart Australia tomorrow :)

@kiiirky
I am heading to the same countries in a week and wondering the same thing, too.
The last thing I found was this map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1OkEtyCaGNjKhLeMr6L2IU975SP8&ll=-6.242789284104959%2C-69.08946299999991&z=2
With this link in it: ANAC - Guía de trámites
According to it, one must go through a cumbersome registration procedure.
Still, don't understand if that's only for locals or for all. Also not sure if a drone qualifies as unmanned aircraft. Unmanned as in having no man on board, or as in being fully automatic?
Did you end up taking your drone with you? Please share you experience!

@kiiirky
I am heading to the same countries in a week and wondering the same thing, too.
The last thing I found was this map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1OkEtyCaGNjKhLeMr6L2IU975SP8&ll=-6.242789284104959%2C-69.08946299999991&z=2
With this link in it: ANAC - Guía de trámites
According to it, one must go through a cumbersome registration procedure.
Still, don't understand if that's only for locals or for all. Also not sure if a drone qualifies as unmanned aircraft. Unmanned as in having no man on board, or as in being fully automatic?
Did you end up taking your drone with you? Please share you experience!
Hi estrizhok, Argentina has been fine. Absolutely no issues anywhere although I just haven’t had a chance to fly yet (close to or in national parks, cities etc and Antarctica has a complete ban under the Antarctic Treaty). I’m currently in El Calafate and if the wind is ok today I do plan to fly around Lago Argentino. I leave to Chile tomorrow and cross a small land border from El Calafate so fingers crossed I don’t run into any issues! I’ll update then but from what I’ve heard from others if you’re entering Chile through Santiago you may come across more of a problem.

Hi estrizhok, Argentina has been fine. Absolutely no issues anywhere although I just haven’t had a chance to fly yet (close to or in national parks, cities etc and Antarctica has a complete ban under the Antarctic Treaty). I’m currently in El Calafate and if the wind is ok today I do plan to fly around Lago Argentino. I leave to Chile tomorrow and cross a small land border from El Calafate so fingers crossed I don’t run into any issues! I’ll update then but from what I’ve heard from others if you’re entering Chile through Santiago you may come across more of a problem.
Thank you for taking time to reply. Glad to hear you haven't had any problems. We have pretty similar routes, it seems. I am also going to enter and leave Chile via small border posts in Patagonia. Have a great time!

Thank you for taking time to reply. Glad to hear you haven't had any problems. We have pretty similar routes, it seems. I am also going to enter and leave Chile via small border posts in Patagonia. Have a great time!
Quick update: had no issues entering Chile through Don Guillermo entry from El Calafate to Torres del Paine. Regardless of the no fly zone in National park itself, the wind unfortunately kept my drone grounded being extremely and unpredictably gusty. No time in Punta Arenas to fly and now in Santiago. Last chance will be Atacama which I’m hopeful for...otherwise it’s been an expensive piece of unused baggage! Good luck with your flying!!

I am Brazilian, I intend to travel with my family to Chile in July.
In addition to my normal photographic equipment (DSLR camera and Gopro) I want to take my Drone Mavic Pro.

I like to record various vacation moments for recreational use, so I will not use images for any commercial purpose.
In Brazil, my drone is approved (radiofrequency) by Anatel (national telecommunications agency), Anac (National Civil Aviation Agency) and DECEA (Air Control Department). All my flights do not exceed 35 meters high (120 feet) always fly in VLOS.

I would like an orientation: how should I do my flights in Chile, I intend to film (if weather conditions permit) in places such as: La Parva, Farellones, Cajon del Maipo and some squeaks in Santa Cruz. In addition to the authorization of facility owners, should I request any further authorization from the government compendium? I have read on some sites that a license to operate drones is required but it was not clear if it would apply to recreational flights

Soy brasileño, pretendo viajar con mi familia a Chile en julio.
Además de mi equipo fotográfico normal (cámara DSLR y Gopro) quiero llevar mi Drone Mavic Pro.

Me gusta grabar varios momentos de vacaciones para uso recreativo, así que no usar imágenes para cualquier propósito comercial.
En Brasil, mi drone es aprobado (radiofrecuencia) por Anatel (agencia nacional de telecomunicaciones), por la Agencia Nacional de Aviación Civil (ANAC) y por el DECEA (departamento de control aéreo). Todos mis vuelos no superan los 35 metros de altura (120 pies) siempre pilota en el VLOS.

Me gustaría una orientación: cómo debo proceder mis vuelos en Chile, pretendo filmar (si las condiciones climáticas lo permiten) en lugares como: La Parva, Farellones, Cajon del Maipo y algunos chillidos en Santa Cruz. Además de la autorización de los propietarios de las instalaciones, debo solicitar alguna otra autorización para el órgano de compendio del gobierno? He leído en algunos sitios que es necesaria una licencia para operar drones, pero no estaba claro si sería aplicable a los vuelos recreativos

Sou brasileiro, pretendo viajar com minha família para o Chile em julho.
Além do meu equipamento fotográfico normal (câmera DSLR e Gopro) eu quero levar meu Drone Mavic Pro.

Eu gosto de gravar vários momentos das férias para uso recreativo, por isso não usarei imagens para qualquer finalidade comercial.
No Brasil, meu drone é aprovado (radiofreqüência) pela Anatel (agência nacional de telecomunicações), pela Anac (agência nacional de aviação civil) e pelo DECEA (departamento de controle aéreo). Todos os meus vôos não excedem 35 metros de altura (120 pés) sempre pilotam no VLOS.

Eu gostaria de uma orientação: como devo proceder meus vôos no Chile, eu pretendo filmar (se as condições climáticas permitirem) em lugares como: La Parva, Farellones, Cajon del Maipo e alguns guinchos em Santa Cruz. Além da autorização dos proprietários das instalações, devo solicitar alguma outra autorização para o órgão de compêndio do governo? Eu li em alguns sites que é necessária uma licença para operar drones, mas não ficou claro se seria aplicável a voos recreativos.

Last edited:
I am Brazilian, I intend to travel with my family to Chile in July.
In addition to my normal photographic equipment (DSLR camera and Gopro) I want to take my Drone Mavic Pro.

I like to record various vacation moments for recreational use, so I will not use images for any commercial purpose.
In Brazil, my drone is approved (radiofrequency) by Anatel (national telecommunications agency), Anac (National Civil Aviation Agency) and DECEA (Air Control Department). All my flights do not exceed 35 meters high (120 feet) always fly in VLOS.

I would like an orientation: how should I do my flights in Chile, I intend to film (if weather conditions permit) in places such as: La Parva, Farellones, Cajon del Maipo and some squeaks in Santa Cruz. In addition to the authorization of facility owners, should I request any further authorization from the government compendium? I have read on some sites that a license to operate drones is required but it was not clear if it would apply to recreational flights

Soy brasileño, pretendo viajar con mi familia a Chile en julio.
Además de mi equipo fotográfico normal (cámara DSLR y Gopro) quiero llevar mi Drone Mavic Pro.

Me gusta grabar varios momentos de vacaciones para uso recreativo, así que no usar imágenes para cualquier propósito comercial.
En Brasil, mi drone es aprobado (radiofrecuencia) por Anatel (agencia nacional de telecomunicaciones), por la Agencia Nacional de Aviación Civil (ANAC) y por el DECEA (departamento de control aéreo). Todos mis vuelos no superan los 35 metros de altura (120 pies) siempre pilota en el VLOS.

Me gustaría una orientación: cómo debo proceder mis vuelos en Chile, pretendo filmar (si las condiciones climáticas lo permiten) en lugares como: La Parva, Farellones, Cajon del Maipo y algunos chillidos en Santa Cruz. Además de la autorización de los propietarios de las instalaciones, debo solicitar alguna otra autorización para el órgano de compendio del gobierno? He leído en algunos sitios que es necesaria una licencia para operar drones, pero no estaba claro si sería aplicable a los vuelos recreativos

Sou brasileiro, pretendo viajar com minha família para o Chile em julho.
Além do meu equipamento fotográfico normal (câmera DSLR e Gopro) eu quero levar meu Drone Mavic Pro.

Eu gosto de gravar vários momentos das férias para uso recreativo, por isso não usarei imagens para qualquer finalidade comercial.
No Brasil, meu drone é aprovado (radiofreqüência) pela Anatel (agência nacional de telecomunicações), pela Anac (agência nacional de aviação civil) e pelo DECEA (departamento de controle aéreo). Todos os meus vôos não excedem 35 metros de altura (120 pés) sempre pilotam no VLOS.

Eu gostaria de uma orientação: como devo proceder meus vôos no Chile, eu pretendo filmar (se as condições climáticas permitirem) em lugares como: La Parva, Farellones, Cajon del Maipo e alguns guinchos em Santa Cruz. Além da autorização dos proprietários das instalações, devo solicitar alguma outra autorização para o órgão de compêndio do governo? Eu li em alguns sites que é necessária uma licença para operar drones, mas não ficou claro se seria aplicável a voos recreativos.

Oi Fabio! tudo bem? Irei para o chile e argentina e gostaria de saber da sua experiência por la? enfrentou alguma dificuldade de entrar com o drone pelo aeroporto de santiago?

Oi Fabio

Here, in Spanish, are a summary of the regulations, and links to the laws for flying in Chile. https://www.dgac.gob.cl/como-operar-un-dron-en-chile/. (Search the forums and you will find a translation, but this is the original).
I'm a newbie flier in Chile but talking to some in the community here the laws are very loosely applied. Rarely will you have hassle but common sense applies. A good suggestion is print out this page to have on hand and any other documents you have. Chileans love paperwork.

I flew into santiago with my mavic 2 and no one said anything.
I flew it in puerto natales. Couldnt fly it at torres and besides much too windy.
Weather in calafate was great today and flew all over lago argentino.
Going to chalten but i remember seeing signs on certain hikes (back in 2016) that shows no drones allowed.
I have the air, original mavic and i gotta say the mavic 2 is a beast and more quieter and stealthier. I might take it for a spin if I can find a spot where it is allowed and wont affecf people and birds.

I flew into santiago with my mavic 2 and no one said anything.
I flew it in puerto natales. Couldnt fly it at torres and besides much too windy.
Weather in calafate was great today and flew all over lago argentino.
Going to chalten but i remember seeing signs on certain hikes (back in 2016) that shows no drones allowed.
I have the air, original mavic and i gotta say the mavic 2 is a beast and more quieter and stealthier. I might take it for a spin if I can find a spot where it is allowed and wont affecf people and birds.
Thanks for your feedback, it inspired me to do a research on Argentina drone rules.. ANAC says that we need to register the drone each time, did you had any troubles? Do you have any cool pics from your trip? Take care!

As far as it the process doesn't change it seems like yes. I recently completed my research with more info as Airmap added some aerial zones on its map.. but you should be pretty sweet outside cities and away from people.

When it comes to the drone registration it is best described in 4 easy steps by the Argentinian Authorities:
  1. Fill an online form via Casslero Aeronautico Digital (CAD) & complete your application; you will create an account there which is your point of contact.
  2. Pay the registration fee online (about 20€ for 250g drones).
  3. Print your receipt & application (? You might need your signature to be stamped) & send it to: National Registry of Aircraft - VANT Registry, Av. Paseo Colón 1,452, (C1063ADO) CABA
  4. Receive your completed application directly into your created CAD inbox.
Hope this information helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Among1423